Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

DGB didn’t debut until round 15 and then played a block of four games from round 17 to 20. All the major positive changes to the way we played at afl level came in after the bye. I’m not sure dgb can possibly comment on the early season differences first hand. He is talking about something that was still happening late in the season. Maybe Conor Nash specifically but it sounds more like the way they were coached to play than the position of one player.

DGB May not of been playing early, but he still had eyes and ears inside the club.

So you think his comments relate to Nash?

I think it relates to two coaches for the Hawks, one VFL & one AFL being on different pages for the whole season of 2021.

I feel someone of influence may of asked Sam, to show them his coaching style via the VFL. An yes Nash was a smaller part of the complete picture.

An Clarko new something was up, that is why he started asking about a contract extension.

I’ll take some bigger losses as a developing team if we at least try to attack and kick 100 points each game when we have the ball.

We’ve played such a negative style with ball in hand that I can’t wait to see us take the game on.

Keep our structures when the opposition has the ball. But at least have us be a more exciting team to watch instead of the Ross Lyon like way we’ve played.

I'm not sure I'd want to keep the whole structure we had when oppo had the ball. It was so frustrating watching us run the ball out of defence and the then player having to stop because there were no forwards far enough up the ground to lead up to the ball carrier.

Hopefully we keep at least a few fwds as fwds throughout the games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 5 for a third tall?
o_O

Melbourne gave up two first round picks and $800k + a year for a third tall in Jake Lever. Difference for us is that DGB is only a third tall right now, the way he attacks the contest and as he fills out he'll take up a more important defensive role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back