Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

kazzooka

Premiership Player
May 20, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Nonsense talk about not being ready.

I said this day last year that he was going to play vfl so if you can play vfl and perform you can play afl. The guys players are just as big and hit just as hard. The game tempo is the difference between the games as skill level and running capacity is higher so the ball gets around quicker.

Denver has already proven he can play seniors in the WAFL and played very well beating experienced big forwards.

If he plays any VFL at all it will be due to form or needing to learn and implement the instructions for his role.

He doesn't need to play on Hawkins, he can play on Cameron though.

One day he may play on the gorilla's but i don't think he'll be the wrestling type, he'd rather just jump on your head.

On Topic

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The more I think about this pick up, the more excited I am getting. Obviously no guarantees in footy but it’s so exciting to have a highly rated key defender that we have drafted and not poached. I genuinely can’t wait to see how his future unfolds at the club.

Fits perfectly with the age profile of our defensive unit too.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Warming to this pick now. Never really thought we'd get him so never really took note.

Especially with Chip gone, and Hartley and Hartigan near the end. Was an astute pick up.

Should grow into a beast too. Hasn't even begun to fill out yet.

Rare combination of intercept marking skill and brute competitiveness. Hard to find.

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
What’s the nickname? John?
Clarko has called him Shaggy, from Scooby Doo.
image_2020-12-13_092210.png
scooby-shaggy.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Great pick up. So impressed with his interview on SEN.
May have solved our hoodoo number aswell as he was wearing the #36 in most of the highlights. :thumbsu:
What a legend, announce his jumper number already, I’m due for a new one.
Well and truly on the Shaggy band wagon
If the club give Moore a lower number and then pass the #36 to DGB I'm going to personally raise Waverley to the ground. DON'T DO IT!

(No offence intended Dylan)

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Yeah right Hodgey, not even as a teenager?

Croad and Gibbo are better defenders, not to mention Lake, Hodge is getting a bit ahead of himself i reckon, although Harris Andrews is quite a good defender, its that dumb thing people in the industry do where they say every generation is better than the one before, rate them on the big games and big moments, not on the nothing games i reckon.

soupofficial

All Australian
Sep 1, 2006
Atlantis
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Explains the stop gap recruitment of Hartley and Hartigan while this kid developes .

So you're trying to tell me that our decision to recruit Michael Hartley 13 months ago is because we've now drafted DGB? What a terrible post.

soupofficial

All Australian
Sep 1, 2006
Atlantis
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Its virtually impossible to trade in a proven performer like Grimes or mcgovern.

You mean like how we acquired All-Australian full backs Brian Lake and James Frawley for peanuts during the last 8 years? I suppose so.

Simon_Nesbit

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2001
Tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Croad and Gibbo are better defenders, not to mention Lake, Hodge is getting a bit ahead of himself i reckon, although Harris Andrews is quite a good defender, its that dumb thing people in the industry do where they say every generation is better than the one before, rate them on the big games and big moments, not on the nothing games i reckon.

Serves me right for trying (failing) to put up a like-generator post.

Hodge's ability to 'read' the game unfolding in front of him made him one of the most natural defenders I've seen in my lifetime. Incredibly rare for any player to dominate an area of the field simply through their positioning - he was shorter, slower, and lighter than almost any opponent he was matched up against, yet could make the dangerous space around him a no-go zone for the opposition.

Anyone seen him play and have an AFL comparison? Seems to be half way between Sicily and McGovern from the vids I have watched.

???
More Dylan Grimes to me

Back