Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Dare I say it - but this guy oozes leadership qualities in his interviews.
Will be in the leadership group by the time he is 21, is my prediction.

JZedd

Team Captain
Feb 24, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The best attribute Denver has, IMHO, is his ability to read the flight of the ball. Doesn't matter how tall you are, if you struggle with this (sorryTimmy O'Brien ) then I'm not sure whether you can teach this skill in the heat of battle. Denver has it in spades.

The best attribute Denver has, IMHO, is his ability to read the flight of the ball. Doesn't matter how tall you are, if you struggle with this (sorryTimmy O'Brien ) then I'm not sure whether you can teach this skill in the heat of battle. Denver has it in spades.
Timmy doesn’t struggle to read the ball at all, he struggles to clasp it.

Anyway - I’m happy to play kick to kick with DGB and Timmy anytime. With my kicking they will need to be awesome at reading the flight of the ball
I wouldn't be. When I was younger I could kick it 60. Now a kick to kick with them would consist of them kicking it 55, me running 30 m to get in range to kick it 25 for them to have even the slightest chance of marking it.

Do you reckon it’s his body work that leads him to fu** it up at the last second sometimes? Cos yeah - when he gets a good lead and has a shitty player on him he seems like to find more success
He is very narrow through the hips and if any significant body work is applied then this upsets his coordination and timing.

RIOLINWITPUNCHS

Big Footy Member
Sep 30, 2009
Back Of My Kombi
AFL Club
Hawthorn

This is what comes to mind when i think of TOB

tenor (1).gif

CD Xbow

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Anyway - I’m happy to play kick to kick with DGB and Timmy anytime. With my kicking they will need to be awesome at reading the flight of the ball
Are AFL skills a usual feature of a protocol droid? Do you need to be upgraded to kick better? Don't feel bad, C3PO can't kick at all.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
I hope he can come in and play well straight away like Day has, but I'm wary that KPD's tend to take a while to develop.

I think DGB's aerial prowess and quality skills will give him something to bring to the table immediately, but the rest of his game (playing 1v1, positioning, shutting down opposition forwards, etc) may take some time. Hopefully we use him in an aggressive sense and his reading of the flight mitigates a lot of those concerns.

I'm really looking forward to him getting a go. I think he will turn out to be a really unique kind of player.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I hope he can come in and play well straight away like Day has, but I'm wary that KPD's tend to take a while to develop.

I think DGB's aerial prowess and quality skills will give him something to bring to the table immediately, but the rest of his game (playing 1v1, positioning, shutting down opposition forwards, etc) may take some time. Hopefully we use him in an aggressive sense and his reading of the flight mitigates a lot of those concerns.

I'm really looking forward to him getting a go. I think he will turn out to be a really unique kind of player.
Wont play KPD role. Will play r1 for mine.

I've got him lining up on Package.

badboybobba

All Australian
Sep 14, 2005
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Tim had a pretty big eye injury that occurred during last preseason that wasnt rectified until the last couple of rounds last season, once that was fixed he started seeing it better and clunking a few which was evident in the last 2 rounds. Hopefully this season we see the best of him, if not I’m afraid it’s curtains at the Hawks.

RIOLINWITPUNCHS

Big Footy Member
Sep 30, 2009
Back Of My Kombi
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Tim had a pretty big eye injury that occurred during last preseason that wasnt rectified until the last couple of rounds last season, once that was fixed he started seeing it better and clunking a few which was evident in the last 2 rounds. Hopefully this season we see the best of him, if not I’m afraid it’s curtains at the Hawks.

Thank you for the inside info.

Not to try and be a smart arse but the previous 5-6 years before 2020 he also had major issues consistently holding those marks he got hands to.

Maybe he gets an out for 2020 but not sure two good eyes would have made a difference last year.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets

Unfortunate to have an eye injury, but that doesn't explain the same issues during the several seasons prior.

Back