Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Is it racist to worry about the 'go home factor'?

Nope. Why would it be?
The hawks have a pretty good track record of keeping interstate players.
Im hopeful he will be a 10 year player for us.

kazzooka

Premiership Player
May 20, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Is his fitness going to be something that holds him back early?

Seems to be the theme coming from the training reports
He's done well in the WAFL. I imagine he will just float around half back all day and spend a lot of time standing around slowly moving forward or back. Unlike a forward who needs to push up in the "bubble" and sprint back repeatedly, Denver will stay in the same part of the ground for a while. He also probably won't "play on anybody" like all Clarkson era defenders.

I have convinced myself he is playing round 1 based on what I have seen at training, and a belief that we will look to fast track him, but yeah fitness is a major sticking point.

I have convinced myself he is playing round 1 based on what I have seen at training, and a belief that we will look to fast track him, but yeah fitness is a major sticking point.

Fitness should be a sticking point to a degree, but it's just as important to run smart as it is to run hard particularly in his role and with his strengths.

I'd be a lot more concerned with his fitness if he was one of those defenders that tail their forward up and back on multiple leads, but Denver should be using his strengths and playing his own game back there more than trying to stick to his oppo like glue.

Mojo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2007
Beaumaris
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Had a strange Tom Boyd feeling on Logan Mc so I’m very happy to end up with DGB. Although admittedly my #1 was Hollands. Now I’m all aboard the DGB train.

Admittedly, I backflipped on several prospects. I always knew Denver was going to be one of the safest options, though. So very happy we look like having an absolutely elite defender at the club.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades

Those reports seem to suggest that he is still completing everything whilst giving 100% effort the entire time. When you have a huge amount of natural ability (and game sense in Denver's case) it can make up for those extra seconds you are behind in pre-season time trials.

I don't expect his fitness levels to be the reason he doesn't play round 1 for this reason. Perhaps he is held over for match-up reasons combined with being a first year player. Time will tell though.

Play him forward, rest him half way through the 3rd, once he kicked 6 & we're 12 goals up

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Had a strange Tom Boyd feeling on Logan Mc so I’m very happy to end up with DGB. Although admittedly my #1 was Hollands. Now I’m all aboard the DGB train.
DGB or GTFO. There will be a couple of guys that will look pretty good around the trade back value window for double draft picks.
pretty happy with DGB

Back