Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember a while ago a team when putting together the building blocks of a premiership team went KPP while those around went with midfielders. If all predictions of next years draft come to fruition it’s stacked with mids. DGB on evidence was 1 of the best KPPs in this draft. In my uneducated opinion it was the best selection to make considering we’re expecting another top 5 pick in 2021 and they are all better mids from all reports than most available in this draft.

What is DGB's kicking like?
It's actually pretty decent from what I have seen.
Not a natural strength, from my observation. Couple of munted kicks versus Bulldogs seconds.

But these could've been nerves, let's give him time to develop.
Yeah, looked very much like nerves got the better of him.

Unbelievable people are doubting him. Already shown to be a star at wafl level at 17.

Probably the safest bet in all the draft. JUH has the higher ceiling but DGB is the most reliable prospect to be a 200 game player and could easily become an AA defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're overthinking it , if you don't expect him to set the world on fire in his first couple years its probably best because as a key defender he has a lot of filling out to do . But at the same time you're completely underselling what he has accomplished as a footballer so far and how athletic he is , once he builds his endurance and strength he is going to be a scary prospect.

If you haven't actually seen him play a full game as a junior try get hold of game 2 of the WA all star game from last season, it might change your opinion.

Cheers D123. I like your post. Your optimism gives me optimism.

i did watch DGB in 2 full WAFL games last year (that is all i have seen, plus his highlights, and his recent game v WB). Obviously i didn't see enough positives in those 2 games to move me from a position of pessimistic worry to a position of excitement, but I am reassured that you did. I did see positives, but pick 6 is a hard benchmark.

I think i would feel much better if he had a weapon; like elite foot skills, or was a dasher, or height, or endurance. Dylan Grimes, you could argue, doesn't really have a weapon either - he is just all round class. DGB can become that too.

As it is, for me, time will tell with DGB. I do overthink it and I prefer to be pleasantly surprised than have high hopes dashed.

Cheers D123. I like your post. Your optimism gives me optimism.

i did watch DGB in 2 full WAFL games last year (that is all i have seen, plus his highlights, and his recent game v WB). Obviously i didn't see enough positives in those 2 games to move me from a position of pessimistic worry to a position of excitement, but I am reassured that you did. I did see positives, but pick 6 is a hard benchmark.

I think i would feel much better if he had a weapon; like elite foot skills, or was a dasher, or height, or endurance.
I think his elite/weapon is supposed to be his aerial work & his intercept marking.

I might be somewhat alone in this, but I watched the draft hoping against hope that we’d get Denver.

More than one club recruiter reckoned he was worthy of pick 1, and his positive attitude stood out a mile. I haven’t seen anything yet to contradict the idea that he’ll become a star defender for us over the next few years.

Glass is definitely half full, folks!

More than one club recruiter reckoned he was worthy of pick 1,
I read one piece where recruiters from all 18 clubs ranked their #1 (really #2, after JUH)

4 had DGB as their next best.

We did well.

Last edited:
Like the pick a lot. Not easy to grab a gun Key position player. With Kosi coming on, looks even better as think we can be very aggressive in targeting needs next draft and trade period.

Do we need to draft/trade in more KPD, or is Sicily, Frost, DBG enough to work around, and then we have the hybrid smalls Impey, Day, Hardwick, CJ, Greaves (and perhaps Pepper) as the small fleet? Maybe a more Richmond like mobile back 6 with strong ability to intercept ?

Jesus! Rance was a spud until like his 4th or 5th year.

Kpps take time.

I think we're spoiled with how advanced Downie and Brockman look.

If our pick 35 and 46 look like they can step in for round 1, why can't our pick 6? Something must be wrong with him!

I think we're spoiled with how advanced Downie and Brockman look.

If our pick 35 and 46 look like they can step in for round 1, why can't our pick 6? Something must be wrong with him!
We haven’t even played a game yet this season so hard to judge his first year impact!

people need to shelve their anxiety and be patient. Not all players develop at the same rate and not all players are ready to go from round 1. It is a bit easier as an outside player because mostly you run and kick and that is about it. Kkd have to battle very very strong men in physical contests. Much tougher ask.

We haven’t even played a game yet this season so hard to judge his first year impact!

people need to shelve their anxiety and be patient. Not all players develop at the same rate and not all players are ready to go from round 1. It is a bit easier as an outside player because mostly you run and kick and that is about it. Kkd have to battle very very strong men in physical contests. Much tougher ask.
Pretty sure Bardo State was being sarcastic about something being wrong with DGB

Remove this Banner Ad

Back