Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
After re-watching the St Kilda game I can see more and more why clubs viewed him as the #1 pick. The next generation of KPF's appear to be incredibly mobile and have a serious turn of speed- something typical KPD players aren't as capable of dealing with. I'm hoping while he's rehabbing he's been able to put on a couple kg's of upper body size as I reckon our success in the back half of this season/next season will depend on how quickly he can adapt to the rigors of the top level.
Am very hopeful he can get some senior experience in the back end of this year.

Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
After re-watching the St Kilda game I can see more and more why clubs viewed him as the #1 pick. The next generation of KPF's appear to be incredibly mobile and have a serious turn of speed- something typical KPD players aren't as capable of dealing with. I'm hoping while he's rehabbing he's been able to put on a couple kg's of upper body size as I reckon our success in the back half of this season/next season will depend on how quickly he can adapt to the rigors of the top level.
I'm just shocked you could re-watch that. A fairly masochistic exercise no?

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Absolutely needs to get some games in after the bye.

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Absolutely needs to get some games in after the bye.
I reckon what we'll see is once he's back close to 100% he'll get three or four games in the 2's to build up some body confidence then he'll come into the side and stay in for the remainder of the year baring a rest or two.
I reckon they take a slightly slower approach with him given what happened with players like Shoey.

I reckon what we'll see is once he's back close to 100% he'll get three or four games in the 2's to build up some body confidence then he'll come into the side and stay in for the remainder of the year baring a rest or two.
I reckon they take a slightly slower approach with him given what happened with players like Shoey.
He needs to build his fitness again. He was already struggling with AFL level fitness at the end of pre season. Hopefully we see him running around in the VFL soon

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Good call on re-watching the bad games. I try to do it so that I avoid the optimistic confirmation bias..
Interestingly enough I do it for both acknowledging what we're lacking but also to find benefits. Sometimes people after a big loss assume that nothing went well and that it's all miserable- but finding positives is important for identifying growth and the path forward for the team.

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He needs to build his fitness again. He was already struggling with AFL level fitness at the end of pre season. Hopefully we see him running around in the VFL soon

The concern is how far off he looks; re fitness/endurance/, skill level, size. He looks a project player, at pick 6, but not a project player like Essendon's Cox who exudes class and just needs time to fill out.

When it comes to top 10 picks, I think class is something you can't buy elsewhere and so you should spend your money on class. I have had my say on this thread, and been shouted down a lot, but Hawthorn's recruiting isn't keeping pace with teams like WB, Syd, Cats, Freo...even Essendon....right now (sometimes results are delayed, and come in unfairly, but we are looking behind the ledger in recent years).

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GSW
The concern is how far off he looks; re fitness/endurance/, skill level, size. He looks a project player, at pick 6, but not a project player like Essendon's Cox who exudes class and just needs time to fill out.

When it comes to top 10 picks, I think class is something you can't buy elsewhere and so you should spend your money on class. I have had my say on this thread, and been shouted down a lot, but Hawthorn's recruiting isn't keeping pace with teams like WB, Syd, Cats, Freo...even Essendon....right now (sometimes results are delayed, and come in unfairly, but we are looking behind the ledger in recent years).

we've drafted Kosi in 18, Day in 19 and Brockman last year, not to mention Downie, Finn, Morris, Mitchell and DGB who it is WAY too early to make a call on

i think our drafting has been great, its the other list management decisions such as trading that haven't worked out

LOL mate there are no concerns as far as i am concerned. The only thing he lacks now for a debut is fitness. He has everything else as a rookie. The things you can not buy apart from skill are desire and ambition. DGB has that in spades he has already put on size across the shoulders and is on a regimented eating diet that has him coming out to training with a half a roll still in his hands. He is diligent and most importantly has shown himself to be of great character. He may be part of the leadership at this club one day. You are going the real early crow we have a genuine super star of the competition in our midst all things being equal

westhawk

Club Legend
Dec 24, 2006
perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
LOL mate there are no concerns as far as i am concerned. The only thing he lacks now for a debut is fitness. He has everything else as a rookie. The things you can not buy apart from skill are desire and ambition. DGB has that in spades he has already put on size across the shoulders and is on a regimented eating diet that has him coming out to training with a half a roll still in his hands. He is diligent and most importantly has shown himself to be of great character. He may be part of the leadership at this club one day. You are going the real early crow we have a genuine super star of the competition in our midst all things being equal
Spot on. Have watched him come through the Swan Districts junior ranks and this bloke is going to be a gun. Reads the play better than any other his age. He is elite in the air and has a great attitude. Not only will he be a great player, but a even better leader.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Long term investment. Keen to get a look at him this year, but at the same time, wouldn't care if he spends some more months shifting steel.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers

This is a damning view on DGB, where have you watched a lot of him to come to this conclusion out of interest ?

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is a damning view on DGB, where have you watched a lot of him to come to this conclusion out of interest ?

I don't think it's damning. I think he looks like a pick from 15-40 and likely to play 100 games.

As I have previously stated, I have watched 3 WAFL games, his games with Hawthorn and preseason, and of course his highlights tapes.

There is not a lot of game time to go on with DGB for suporters and that has to be taken into consideration.

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I don't disrespect other people's opinions - keep that in mind when you laugh at people Four Pillars

BigFooty has a funny way of forgetting people who say "hold your horses" on player X - I remember getting dumped through the big footy wash for saying that Finn Maguiness wasn't a star and comes into the club with a lot of deficiencies. But BF moves on, doesn't it?

Just respect other people's opions.

"The only thing he lacks"..... well, I really think you are not being objective anymore there. I rate you as a footy judge, but to say the only thing DGB lacks is fitness. I really disagree.

I don't disrespect other people's opinions - keep that in mind when you laugh at people Four Pillars

BigFooty has a funny way of forgetting people who say "hold your horses" on player X - I remember getting dumped through the big footy wash for saying that Finn Maguiness wasn't a star and comes into the club with a lot of deficiencies. But BF moves on, doesn't it?

Just respect other people's opions.

"The only thing he lacks"..... well, I really think you are not being objective anymore there. I rate you as a footy judge, but to say the only thing DGB lacks is fitness. I really disagree.
As a rookie mate i did say as a rookie i think he would make his debut once he builds his fitness. The other stuff is personal opinion no doubt but i have seen him at training all pre season. I have spoken to him. Like u say though its just opinion so what makes u think otherwise? I would like to know the basis of your opinion

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
As a rookie mate i did say as a rookie i think he would make his debut once he builds his fitness. The other stuff is personal opinion no doubt but i have seen him at training all pre season. I have spoken to him. Like u say though its just opinion so what makes u think otherwise? I would like to know the basis of your opinion

What do you mean basis?

I have posted about 5 or more times on here.

I can't keep repeating myself and my opinion on here - because when you do you get abused or outnumbered quickly.

And if you are right, there is no recall of the discussion.

What do you mean basis?

I have posted about 5 or more times on here.

I can't keep repeating myself and my opinion on here - because when you do you get abused or outnumbered quickly.

And if you are right, there is no recall of the discussion.
The basis for an opinion can be formed by either watching him as a junior. Watching him at box hill etc. How have you formed your opinion of DGB

Edit just saw ure post. Fair enough. Did you see the wafl games in person? Or on tv?

Last edited:
Back