Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
I have a mate who is connected to Port Adelaide and the Power rated DGB as the number 1 pick in the draft last year, and that includes JUH

They have drafted exceptionally well over the last few years, so that is great to hear.

They were also one of the clubs, along with Richmond, that were very keen on Day.

Jake_09

Team Captain
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I remember Kane Cornes saying post draft that Port rated DGB no.1 (I thought that was outside of JUH but perhaps not) that gave me great confidence, because their recruiting has been top notch of late. They also have a great eye for picking talls.

daniel23

Club Legend
Mar 19, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The blokes played wafl seniors since he was 17 as a under devoloped kpd and apparently doesn't have the skills, laughable really. He Will be our fb holding down the likes of the King brothers , juh , geogiadas and new age forwards for the next 10 years. We probably all need to be patient and temper expectations until he genuinely is afl fit and has a body for it.

Adebisi

Club Legend
Aug 28, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Real pity about the injury. He needs to strengthen and put size on his lower half way more than his upper body. Wasting time on some of these exercises in the videos always has me scratching my head.

Nov 13, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The basis for an opinion can be formed by either watching him as a junior. Watching him at box hill etc. How have you formed your opinion of DGB

Edit just saw ure post. Fair enough. Did you see the wafl games in person? Or on tv?
I have to say that my record, based solely on youtube clips, is impeccable :D

He Will be our fb holding down the likes of the King brothers , juh , geogiadas and new age forwards for the next 10 years. We probably all need to be patient and temper expectations until he genuinely is afl fit and has a body for it.

That is the hope anyway.
Fingers crossed.

The concern is how far off he looks; re fitness/endurance/, skill level, size. He looks a project player, at pick 6, but not a project player like Essendon's Cox who exudes class and just needs time to fill out.

When it comes to top 10 picks, I think class is something you can't buy elsewhere and so you should spend your money on class. I have had my say on this thread, and been shouted down a lot, but Hawthorn's recruiting isn't keeping pace with teams like WB, Syd, Cats, Freo...even Essendon....right now (sometimes results are delayed, and come in unfairly, but we are looking behind the ledger in recent years).
Are people still judging his fitness on that pre-season time trial?

He was playing out full games in the VFL. His fitness is fine.

His size is potentially an issue, but he's an 19yo KPP, this will naturally take time.

Mar 15, 2009
Scarborough WA
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
All Blacks Green Bay
The concern is how far off he looks; re fitness/endurance/, skill level, size. He looks a project player, at pick 6, but not a project player like Essendon's Cox who exudes class and just needs time to fill out.

When it comes to top 10 picks, I think class is something you can't buy elsewhere and so you should spend your money on class. I have had my say on this thread, and been shouted down a lot, but Hawthorn's recruiting isn't keeping pace with teams like WB, Syd, Cats, Freo...even Essendon....right now (sometimes results are delayed, and come in unfairly, but we are looking behind the ledger in recent years).

You are in for a pleasant surprise.

Are people still judging his fitness on that pre-season time trial?

He was playing out full games in the VFL. His fitness is fine.

His size is potentially an issue, but he's an 19yo KPP, this will naturally take time.
His fitness won't be fine mate. He will need another mini pre season.

mustang

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Leeds United
To back up TFP, to which nothing more needs to be said really - DGB has looked class on the track at training from what I've seen. Kicking is quality, marking is quality, anticipation is quality and he's very mobile.

Hawks rated him #3, and seemingly other clubs rated him very highly too.

I’m amazed that no one in the Media is going on about not seeing him play and why we aren’t picking him like they do with Jamarra every time they talk about the bulldog.

Back after the bye!

They really talk up his professionalism. Sounds like a great kid to have around the club.

About 2-3 weeks away from returning to the VFL, plus four weeks of match conditioning give or take he’s looking at an AFL debut Round 15 or 16 if it all goes well.

Pretty happy to hear both he and ‘big’ Will Day getting back in a few weeks time
Box Hill in a month, should be good viewing.

Back