Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

I've heard these reports but also heard reports he only took 6 marks in total, which one is it ?
I don't think stats matter, he dominated the back half against Essendon VFL, that's all you need to know, he also has a crew cut and seems to have put on a few kilos since we last saw him, mostly around the shoulders and chest.

I don't think stats matter, he dominated the back half against Essendon VFL, that's all you need to know, he also has a crew cut and seems to have put on a few kilos since we last saw him, mostly around the shoulders and chest.
Correct. I saw it. His positioning is elite. Get him in now.

I've heard these reports but also heard reports he only took 6 marks in total, which one is it ?
6 marks and 10 possessions. But there were also a lot of spoils. He just seemed to be where the ball was kicked. Gibson-like positioning.

On his defensive side he'd be ready to come straight up. The question is whether they want another week fitness wise and for him to get his production up a bit offensively.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched most of the game. The stats on the AFL app aren’t the highest of quality during the match and have been updated since I last looked. I reckon 6 marks was about right for what I watched.

DGB played quite well. Started slowly but got better as the game went on. His intensity and competitiveness is first class though. My favourite moment was where we were caught out of position which would have lead to a sure Bombers goal. He pushed back hard deep in defence and dove out in front of his opponent to punch the ball over for a rushed behind. I didn’t think he’d stop that one but found a way. He is really talented and was doing things that people of his size just don’t really do but also has genuine effort and desperation.

I wouldn’t mind him coming into the seniors but another game or two at BHH wouldn’t be the worst thing either.

Some expectations will needed to be tempered. DGB was fantastic yesterday and will be a star for us for a long time to come i'm sure. However, it was his first proper full length game in a year. He looked spent a few times and could barely get out of a jog after a couple of great repeat efforts. This was in a 50 point win where his side dominated for periods and the ball was never in his area. His fitness would be found out very quickly if he was thrown to the wolves this weekend against GWS.

I expect around 3 or 4 weeks of match fitness and then we see him for the remaining games after that.

The reason i say stats dont matter is because he spoilt the ball out of bounds or rushed behind as often as he marked, he had a few desperate efforts and also was safe even when not taking poss, all of these are not counted on the stats sheet, his influence with and without the ball is also not counted on the stat sheet, but it was a big win and we should temper expectation, but i am excited by the possibilities.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back