Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Denver Grainger Em-Barras! LoLz
My man CALLOW - a Mid-Season Draft bargain - will become the dominant KP defender for the next 10 years!
Settle down Dom.

GOHORCS

All Australian
Nov 12, 2011
Mount Martha
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Will DGB be a key back? He has the height and ability without doubt.
Will he be able to put the weight on? If so, retain his abilities?
It is a nagging thought.

I am a big fan of DGB and this is not a criticism, I just want to hear others thoughts.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Far too much made about his weight and size, I get people are impatient, but he's already added quite a few kilos.

Tomohawks

All Australian
Aug 30, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Storm & West Ham United
It is a nagging thought.

I am a big fan of DGB and this is not a criticism, I just want to hear others thoughts.

I really like him as well. He'll be our Jake Lever and then we need to find our May equivalent . Hopefully Callow can do it, that would be a big bonus. We don't want DGB playing on the big boys.

I really like him as well. He'll be our Jake Lever and then we need to find our May equivalent . Hopefully Callow can do it, that would be a big bonus. We don't want DGB playing on the big boys.
This is def the intention for him. The preference is for him for the time being to not play on the big boys but utilising his elite intercept marking.

With this in mind it makes our back 6 composition so much more intriguing. Do we need Hartigan AND Frost or do we go with one and look at using Sic on the other tall?

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
It is a nagging thought.

Jacob Weitering copped the same criticism and look at him now.

Adebisi

Club Legend
Aug 28, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Strikes me as a more mad Scarlett type player, reckon he will be renowned for how fearless/mad he is at the contest, just hope he can put on the size to play that mad style game before he gets injured.

It’s not so much the size, more so he has to learn how to control his body and positioning to not get so many impact type injuries

JZedd

Team Captain
Feb 24, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Far too much made about his weight and size, I get people are impatient, but he's already added quite a few kilos.
Denver has a peculiar problem...himself. Goes at it with no regard
Strikes me as a more mad Scarlett type player, reckon he will be renowned for how fearless/mad he is at the contest, just hope he can put on the size to play that mad style game before he gets injured.
I think his physique might be a little like Dustin Fletcher. A wiry type and deceptively strong..Obviously not saying he's there now. I've also noticed he has more muscle definition this pre season which is encouraging.

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It’s not so much the size, more so he has to learn how to control his body and positioning to not get so many impact type injuries
A bit of both I just don’t think you can really stop the collision injuries just limit the risk and against seasoned afl players with size it increases the risk dramatically.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
I find the obsession with Denvers body really really bizarre... He is physically tracking really well for a key position player.

He is 19 years old... Not many are well built at that age, especially not at his size. He looks to have put on more size this year and i think within 2-3 years he will fill out really well.

I find the obsession with Denvers body really really bizarre... He is physically tracking really well for a key position player.

He is 19 years old... Not many are well built at that age, especially not at his size. He looks to have put on more size this year and i think within 2-3 years he will fill out really well.

Reckon his hands are in proportion?

JZedd

Team Captain
Feb 24, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Maybe we've been traumatized by Xavier Ellis. Just couldn't bulk up.

Will Day in a podcast communicated he had spent time in the gym over Xmas back in Adelaide and had struggled to add weight.
Only a problem for those who think he needs to fill out like Fyfe did to have a successful career.

From what we’ve seen he’s capable of so far I’d be content if he largely kept his wiry frame. Burgoyne*, Tuck and Fletcher all reached 400 games with slim builds, if not because of them. I’d settle for just 300 from Will Day.

*Burgers has previously credited the advice to shed weight as helping to extend his career as much as he did. I know he was built bigger when he was younger.

Back