Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

Good extension, good for Denver to get a few years of certainty and good for us to get him locked in for a decent sized term to gauge how he develops.

Contracts really should be 4 years to start with for 1st rounders imo.

Good extension, good for Denver to get a few years of certainty and good for us to get him locked in for a decent sized term to gauge how he develops.

Contracts really should be 4 years to start with for 1st rounders imo.
I agree with you but I'd be surprised if the AFLPA would sign off on that. Maybe a happy medium of 3 years first up should be the go but I we all know the AFL loves a lot of player movement unless its happening to GWS or GC. I guess this is the reason for the shonky ambassadorial deals.

Was ok. I think he tried to me more accountable to his direct opponent. Didn’t get a lot of it but wasn’t getting tourched by his opponent after over committing to a contest like last week 😀

I don't know mate. I watched and I thought he was incredibly lucky his opponent, think it was Soldo and/or Nank resting, droped a couple close to goal they should have marked. He seemed too worried by them and failed to kill the ball, they just dropped the marks.

I think Balta got him a few times a bit to easy on the lead if honest. And I loved his attack on the ball, but he let one bounce past him for an easy goal at one point.

Perthaps in the WAFL he was allowed to be less focused on one-on-one defending, as he looked pretty awkward yesterday for mine being asked to do that.

I might sound harsh, and it's too early to judge him, but right now, I think he's a fair way off AFL footy. I don't think it would have been an enjoyable review with his line coach after yesterday.

Last edited:
I don't know mate. I watched and I thought he was incredibly lucky his opponent, think it was Sold and/or Nank resting, droped a couple close to goal they should have marked. He seemed too worried by them and failed to kill the ball, they just dropped the marks.

I think Balta got him a few times a bit to easy on the lead if honest. And I loved his attack on the ball, but he let one bounce past him for an easy goal at one point.

Perthaps in the WAFL he was allowed to be less focused on one-on-one defending, as he looked pretty awkward yesterday for mine being asked to do that.

I might sound harsh, and it's too early to judge him, but right now, I think he's a fair way off AFL footy. I don't think it would have been an enjoyable review with his line coach after yesterday.
I won’t argue but I don’t think it was all bad from him. I’m not giving him a glowing report either 😀

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess you can't have 2 intercept floaters in the team now that Sicily is back so DGB has to do a lock down role. Hopefully he gets it right and finds his way to becoming a regular 22 - not stressed at this stage as can take time for KP players.

Less ridiculous kamikaze yesterday at contests which was pleasing at least.

Just wondering where we all see DGBs ceiling at?

Is it a skilled interceptor across half back who can rack up disposals and generate attack out of defense ala Jake Lever/Jack Scrimshaw or more of a pure lockdown full back ala Harris Andrews?

One worry I have is that he appears to be in between these two types. He is not big enough to be a lock down full back and he doesn't seem to have the aerobic capacity or skillset to play the floating half back role.

In fact the player he reminds me off the most is Stratton, a lockdown back who can play on the mid sized second or third string forwards.

Early days I guess but to me he seems a long way off being AFL standard (relative to Ward who I think could play 22 games for us this year).

Still finding his feet. He will probably take another season or 2 to be physically ready. Hopefully he will continue to show glimpses of what he could be.

Gorilla defender is unlikely. Interceptor/3rd tall more likely.

Does he get picked r1? Line ball based on form now.

I think he misses he hasn't done enough. If frost is injured or out of form he takes his spot. Until he puts on weight he is going to struggle to compete 1v1. Still very big on him I just think for where we are at there is no need to throw him to the wolves.

Seems a fair way off. Struggling defending other talls, lacking poise in contest. Needs a fair few kgs. We have better interceptors so he’s not going to get in side playing loose man etc. Was meant to be a freak athlete but not really showing it yet.

Thought gibcus looked better but very early days for both. A full season of vfl may be good for him.

Does he get picked r1? Line ball based on form now.
Bring back hartigan and drop him I think. I’d be willing to go in with hartigan and sics as our only kpd at times. If you can play only two kpd it means we can have a heap of run from defence and I think that brings our tall forwards into the game a lot more. Having 3 kpd reduces that but some/most weeks we will be forced to do it.

If the priority is winning games this year, we play Frost or Hartigan ahead of DGB. If we want to contend in 2-3 years, we play DGB now. He is green, but has a go and is on a steep learning curve. He will learn a lot more playing AFL tham playing for BH.

Don't want a Zac Dawson/Schoey situation of throwing guys in when they aren't ready for the grade. Confidence killing stuff especially for a defender.

DGB is infinitely more talented than the above and is made of the right stuff but let him earn his spot.

i would've hoped it was an extremely enjoyable film session, if somewhat uncomfortable

when you want to be the best, for many there'd be nothing more enjoyable than being able to pinpoint your mistakes and understand how you can improve your game and actually observe your progression

Remove this Banner Ad

Back