Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

We’re crying out for a 2nd tall target up front. He might be a better forward than defender - we just haven’t tried. Naughton started down back.

Hard to see him displacing Sicily or frost and he struggled on Tom MacDonald last week at vfl level - his form doesn’t warrant a game at afl down back but team needs provide a spot up front.

Team needs also desperately require a key position defender so that Sicily can be freed up like Tom Stewart.

If DGB was at the level Sam wants, he'd be playing back right now. It's an interesting one, as feel he just needs to be given a block of games to find out.

Shifting DGB forward out of desperation would be pretty short-sighted. Those moves are generally made if a decision has been made you'll not cut it as a defender/forward. Naughton is just a star and was early on.

Better off sending Frost forward like we did last year, and he competed well I thought. Maybe even worth moving Sicily there and let's see what Blanck and DGB can bring.

Ramsden would surely be in line if we wanted another tall forward also, given he was best on at Box Hill yesterday.

There's a need a spot there for DGB as a key defender, it's just a case of is he good enough.

Last edited:
Team needs also desperately require a key position defender so that Sicily can be freed up like Tom Stewart.

If DGB was at the level Sam wants, he'd be playing back right now. It's an interesting one, as feel he just needs to be given a block of games to find out.

Shifting DGB forward out of desperation would be pretty short-sighted. Those moves are generally made if a decision has been made you'll not cut it as a defender/forward. Naughton is just a star and was early on.

Better off sending Frost forward like we did last year, and he competed well I thought. Maybe even worth moving Sicily there and let's see what Blanck and DGB can bring.

Ramsden would surely be in line if we wanted another tall forward also, given he was best on at Box Hill yesterday.

There's a need a spot there for DGB as a key defender, it's just a case of is he good enough.
Your arguing for blanck not dgb

Your arguing for blanck not dgb

Why? Surely we took him at pick 6 to become a key defender? Isn't that how he's being developed?

Sicily is locked in as the third tall for the next five years as soon as we can bank on a key defender. DGB isn't getting that intercepting third tall spot.

I agree Blanck is ahead of him right now. I'd like to see Blanck in versus the dees.

Why? Surely we took him at pick 6 to become a key defender? Isn't that how he's being developed?

Sicily is locked in as the third tall for the next five years as soon as we can bank on a key defender. DGB isn't getting that intercepting third tall spot.

I agree Blanck is ahead of him right now. I'd like to see Blanck in versus the dees.
Blanck is the natural stopper and has a good leg, just needs time in the 1s to feel comfortable, I think too much time in the 2s can hinder as well but it’s hard with frost atm.

Dgb is the natural loose back when he is fit enough which won’t be for another two years, why hearing he went forward is pretty interesting. We are crying out for good marks, that can provide energy in the forward line and kick goals, more then something to work with. The pick he was taken at is almost irrelevant now

Blanck is the natural stopper and has a good leg, just needs time in the 1s to feel comfortable, I think too much time in the 2s can hinder as well but it’s hard with frost atm.

Dgb is the natural loose back when he is fit enough which won’t be for another two years, why hearing he went forward is pretty interesting. We are crying out for good marks, that can provide energy in the forward line and kick goals, more then something to work with. The pick he was taken at is almost irrelevant now

The pick he was taken with is why people aren't jumping on him like Jeka or Kosi. There's even been calls that Serong won't make it.

If fitness is an issue, he'll simply get exploited forward too. Requiring fitness isn't exclusive to playing the easiest role in the AFL, loose defender. Forwards need to cover plenty of ground also.

Sicily has the role locked in you've suggested for DGB. We can't keep expecting Sicily to play as a key defender, just as we didn't Gibbo by recruiting Lake and then Frawley.

After three pre-seasons I'm struggling to understand how he's not fit enough for AFL. He must be coming from a really long way back.

I still think he's as important as anyone on our list because we desperately need him to make it as a key defender (he's same height at Weitering, taller than May).

Last edited:
Actually played a decent game yesterday as a defender, before being thrown forward when Jeka went down, and then he applied himself quite well.
Could be something to work with, but they have to go all in.

Either he stays a defender, or he starts training with the forwards this week.

The fact we didn’t really need any goals, but we put him forward suggests that we’re toying with the idea, regardless of Jeka’s hammy.

Actually played a decent game yesterday as a defender, before being thrown forward when Jeka went down, and then he applied himself quite well.
Could be something to work with, but they have to go all in.

Either he stays a defender, or he starts training with the forwards this week.

The fact we didn’t really need any goals, but we put him forward suggests that we’re toying with the idea, regardless of Jeka’s hammy.
He could play forward for a bit as part of his education for being a defender. Play on the guys he needs to become like. Learn what they are doing that makes playing as a forward difficult.

With Jeka’s hammy, kosi’s form, serong’s recent Illness and green’s struggles in recent weeks it’s not really a surprise we might be considering DGB up forward. We have Lewis, then Ramma, then ????.

The view also seems to be that Sicily/frost is preferred combo down back (with Blanck and DGB a way behind as kpd options).

VFL player by player RD7: Each AFL-listed Hawk in review​

Denver Grainger-Barras (15 disposals, 8 marks)​

"Denver started the game extremely well, he took a lot of marks off the opposition and gave great energy as a defender. He used the ball really well, he finished with a 92 per cent disposal efficiency. He took some great marks which is great for our defenders in their ability to set up from that play. So, he was nice and assertive which was really pleasing for Denver."

Not even a suggestion that he played forward.
Reading between the lines, it doesn’t seem likely we’ll see him forward of centre again any time soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not even a suggestion that he played forward.
Reading between the lines, it doesn’t seem likely we’ll see him forward of centre again any time soon.
And that saddens me to read.

In 30 mins he showed more value as a fwd than Kosie has for a long time. He takes his marks, leads well and hits up targets. A CHF is there for us. For SYL to say there is no suggestion that he will play fwd is his opinion and, IMO is wrong.

Denver Granger Barrass as a fwd… Hell yes.

He will start a fight for no reason. Be clear, if a fight is on in his vicinity, DGB probably started it.

Last edited:
And that saddens me to read.

In 30 mins he showed more value as a fwd than Kosie has for a long time. He takes his marks, leads well and hits up targets. A CHF is there for us. For SYL to say there is no suggestion that he will play fwd is his opinion and, IMO is wrong.

Denver Granger Barrass as a fwd… Hell yes.

He will start a fight for no reason. Be clear, if a fight is on in his vicinity, DGB probably started it.

The coach gave a summary of DGB’s game, and did not mention at all that DGB played forward (despite him actually spending some time forward). SYL just pointed out that there was not even a suggestion from the coach that DGB spent time forward.

This is a fact, it’s not his opinion, the coach didn’t comment at all about DGB playing forward?

SYL himself may very well hope to see DGB play forward, or think he would make a good one.

Think you may have misinterpreted that post?

The coach gave a summary of DGB’s game, and did not mention at all that DGB played forward (despite him actually spending some time forward). SYL just pointed out that there was not even a suggestion from the coach that DGB spent time forward.

This is a fact, it’s not his opinion, the coach didn’t comment at all about DGB playing forward?

SYL himself may very well hope to see DGB play forward, or think he would make a good one.

Think you may have misinterpreted that post?
Alite misinterpreting a post?! You must be joking

Mitchell hinted on his regular slot with Cornes and King on SEN this morning that they will be using him forward more often over the next couple of weeks in the VFL.

I think he could be a very dangerous forward. Will fly at everything, put on pressure. He could be a nightmare match up.

If it doesn't work, then at least he has had 2-3 weeks of exposure learning how to play like a forward which can only help his defensive skills.

Mitchell hinted on his regular slot with Cornes and King on SEN this morning that they will be using him forward more often over the next couple of weeks in the VFL.
That’s not how I perceived it.

He said that want him to be a more rounded player, but I’m not sure if that means he goes forward again.

I think he could be a very dangerous forward. Will fly at everything, put on pressure. He could be a nightmare match up.

If it doesn't work, then at least he has had 2-3 weeks of exposure learning how to play like a forward which can only help his defensive skills.
He hasn't got the speed or tank to put on meaningful pressure playing forward. Defenders would run off him at will at AFL level and exploit his poor aerobic capacity.

He hasn't got the speed or tank to put on meaningful pressure playing forward. Defenders would run off him at will at AFL level and exploit his poor aerobic capacity.
There's nothing wrong with his speed. Tank yes, but not speed.

His main challenge is surely getting involved in the chain of play. Can we blame this on his poor tank?
Anyone want to hazard an explanation re why DGB gets dropped on the basis of an AFL game where he kept his opponent goalless but had only three possessions while Blanck ( who I like, BTW) gets promoted on the strength of a two possession game at a lower level? Can’t be because DGB didn’t attack or intercept enough unless Blanck and he are judged on completely different expectations. Seems we can have a pure stopper in defence, but it just cant be DGB.

Anyone want to hazard an explanation re why DGB gets dropped on the basis of an AFL game where he kept his opponent goalless but had only three possessions while Blanck ( who I like, BTW) gets promoted on the strength of a two possession game at a lower level? Can’t be because DGB didn’t attack or intercept enough unless Blanck and he are judged on completely different expectations. Seems we can have a pure stopper in defence, but it just cant be DGB.
Don’t get it either, played well against Adelaide, keeping both Fogarty to start and then Thilthorpe in order. I don’t understand why he is not getting games. Is a better defender than a few others in our side. I don’t buy the whole fitness debate, as he can gain a better match conditioning in the senior team. It might cost us in the short term, but will pay off huge in the long term.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back