Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

For all the talk of DGB needing size, Dustin Fletcher made a pretty good career out of being the footy equivalent of slenderman.

For all the talk of DGB needing size, Dustin Fletcher made a pretty good career out of being the footy equivalent of slenderman.

Yep.
Fletcher was apparently 198cm and 92kg.
So DGB is just 7 kegs off his playing weight. Another season or two will fix that.

If he becomes anything like Fletcher, we have a gun.

Yep.
So DGB is just 7 kegs off his playing weight. Another season or two will fix that.

Would love to see him kicking 80m torpedos from full back.

Yep.

I've got a feeling Fletcher was a bit heavier than he looked, he was rangy and wiry, but he could go toe to toe with the strongest key forwards in the league even as a school kid. He wasn't exactly small by the end of his career either.

But to your point DGB will need to be at least 7 kegs heavier, but then that is no small amount of size if you're talking functional strength.

What's apparent right now is that DGB's best and worst are a long way apart. By the time that gap narrows, he'll be 7 kilograms heavier, and ready to own the full back line.

He can read the ball in flight like Lake could when he is on. Looking forward to the player he is going to be, and enjoying the glimpses he's showing now as he builds towards that

Last edited:
he is 19, give him a bit of a break until he is 21, he is still a work in progress, its like expecting 100 goals from Buddy in his first full year or something.

I don't think anyone is knocking him, just there is a perception he is too skinny.
But there is plenty of evidence that key defenders don't need to be gorillas to be guns.

he is 19, give him a bit of a break until he is 21, he is still a work in progress, its like expecting 100 goals from Buddy in his first full year or something.
But he's played 13 games now?!

WHY ISN'T HE THE FINISHED PRODUCT TEARING GAMES APART1!!1

But he's played 13 games now?!

WHY ISN'T HE THE FINISHED PRODUCT TEARING GAMES APART1!!1
Yelling Steve Carell GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the criticisms are generally not about his body but his body positioning in one-on-ones. He is playing a lockdown role very different to what he has probably played before. He often gets caught out because he watches the man and then checks the flight of the ball and then it's too late and good smart players like riewoldt exploit this. I think more than his body, he needs to learn the tricks good AFL forwards will use on him and then counteract them. If we asked him to play loose in the backline and go third up all day, he would probably win the rising star. But this period of rounding out his game has growing pains. There are enough moments where it all comes together and you think, yep there is a good player there

I think the criticisms are generally not about his body but his body positioning in one-on-ones. He is playing a lockdown role very different to what he has probably played before. He often gets caught out because he watches the man and then checks the flight of the ball and then it's too late and good smart players like riewoldt exploit this. I think more than his body, he needs to learn the tricks good AFL forwards will use on him and then counteract them. If we asked him to play loose in the backline and go third up all day, he would probably win the rising star. But this period of rounding out his game has growing pains. There are enough moments where it all comes together and you think, yep there is a good player there
People literally are making comments about his body in this thread. 🤔

How do Hawks fans think Denver is going compared to Gibcus, or Sam De Koning? A draft year older than Gibcus, who has been spelled for a few games too. Certainly going better than pick 6, Fischer McCasey who can't get an AFL game with the Crows, despite 10 in his first year, 2020.

Personally I think he is tracking okay as part of Sam's plan of fast tracking the youngsters with the possible loss of some winnable games. With experience and more strength I think he can hold down full back in the future.

How do Hawks fans think Denver is going compared to Gibcus, or Sam De Koning? A draft year older than Gibcus, who has been spelled for a few games too. Certainly going better than pick 6, Fischer McCasey who can't get an AFL game with the Crows, despite 10 in his first year, 2020.

Personally I think he is tracking okay as part of Sam's plan of fast tracking the youngsters with the possible loss of some winnable games. With experience and more strength I think he can hold down full back in the future.
Pointless comparing to Gibcus, Gibcus is playing along premiership defenders with significant less ball coming in. DBG was always going to take a few years to develop his body/endurance Gibcus never had that issue and is already more mature.

Can't compare to either.

Gibcus looks good, but he's playing in a strong backline, within a strong team. Makes life as a defender so easy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back