Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Dylan Moore. Extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Strange that he was rated 12th but dropped so far. Hopefully the calls of us getting the biggest steal are accurate.
The 12th rating was a Fox Footy rating based on Champion data stats that doesn't take into account ability to perform at the next level.

Pretty sure all the other phantom drafts had him much higher.

Just watching a replay of the AFL Draft and Dylan Moore at 12 on the Fox Footy list is really starting to stand out. At pick 44 the next one after Moore is 21 J. Houlahan.

The panel had just talked about Moore as well and very surprised he hadn't been picked up already.

project winger, seems to have a high footy IQ, just knows where team-mates are and somehow gets it to them, very speedy and a good 2km time trialist which is good for those long runs into an open goal, 176cm 66kg, needs some time in the gym so he doesnt get molested by those AFL big bodies....
Is 5cm shorter than Hill and weighs 5kg more than Hill when he was drafted. High endurance but doesn't have the elite pace of Hill. But has the decision making from the highlights.

Strange that he was rated 12th but dropped so far. Hopefully the calls of us getting the biggest steal are accurate.

He will need to put on some beef and hopefully grow a few centimetres as well.

Cautiously optimistic about this choice but given it was a pick in the 60s we don’t have much to lose.

Recruiters have pretty set ideals, they like to look at the ratio of height to arm length etc etc, so I'm not surprised that they balk when someone is well outside the norm for current players. Well worth the risk at this pick and from what I can see there is not that much risk. He'll almost certainly make it as a decent small forward but hopefully he'll make it as a wingman or even midfielder.

You’ve gotta love the story of a kid growing up loving the Hawks and then getting drafted by them. Imagine how good he felt last night. Hope he can turn this into the next dream - winning a premiership with the Hawks!

Things that get me excited about draftees is hearing that they have the drive, work-rate and professionalism to get the most out of themselves. That means a lot. They are all really talented, but its in the mind with want and desire that separates a lot of them.

Moore looks like he has this hunger to make it.....I like that.

This is a bit of concern imo. He's slow for his size.
If he & his opponent start flat footed, 20m from the ball, waiting on an electronic device to beep before they attack, he might get there .2 of a second behind his opponent. I guess he can always hope to tackle?

Not sure what his opponent is going to do heading into the 4th, when Moore has dragged him up & down the ground for 10km-12km running at 3:00m/km pace.

I don’t think Moore is going to be the ‘burst/power’ small forward like a Popeye or Cyril, but I do like that he continually refers to himself as a Small Forward, instead of taking the obvious (cop out ?) option of assuming an outlet running role & referring to himself as a wingman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure what his opponent is going to do heading into the 4th, when Moore has dragged him up & down the ground for 10km-12km running at 3:00m/km pace.
As much as he turned into a basket case, Ben Cousins used to do this regularly to opponents. I remember a final at Subiaco against the Swans and he ran three opponents into the ground, was amazing to watch it at the ground and see how much run he had beyond the cameras.

Moore has an advantage that the AFL is also limiting the rotations. So agree 100% with Brant.

This is a bit of concern imo. He's slow for his size.

EVERY player has deficiencies. Look at Sam Mitchell for God's sake. On paper he is undraftable. The most important thing is that Moore has elite assets and (more importantly) he is intelligent, analytical and driven. You can tell this kid knows his deficiencies and is determined as hell to over come them and make the most of himself. I genuinely expect him to succeed. Im excited about this one. This is very much the Sam Mitchell model of approaching football. You turn your deficiencies into your assets. Excited!

Much more happier with this pick.
I'm a sucker for Hawk supporting blokes and this kid will love the short distance to training.
I get that he's short but comparing him to mighty mouse makes me think of Ben McGlynn.

I'd much rather compare Dylan to the great Shane Crawford, endurance runner, started in the forward pocket who was skinny
when he came to us. Then turned into a great midfielder.
I'm sure he's happy to be a hawk and he was drafted with his mate J Ross so it appears Dylan is prepared to do
the hard yards and hope he does well - Good luck Dylan

I see a future wingman who's not afraid to put his head over the ball. He is like really really good at footballing. We can only hope he gains a few cms in height and packs on some muscle. He definitely has courage, we've seen it's harder to teach that. Good luck Dylan, welcome to the mighty Hawks.

Nah, he was coked up back in those days and that was after games as a reward to himself for training hard and performing. Wasn't until he got on the ice that it all went downhill.
He played doped up with both.
and he wasn't the only one.
PED cheat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back