Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Dylan Moore. Extends to 2026!

HAWKSBESTEVA

Club Legend
Jun 14, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Once he gets really fit he is going to be super. Hopefully next preseason is his breakthrough. Has struggled with injury but has always looked the goods at VFL level.

Exactly the sort of player we need. A footballer with craft. If he can become industrious then he will be a genuine asset.
I think endurance is already one of his great Strengths, looks more of a wing then a small fwd tbh, hope he can make it as a small fwd cause we are lacking there

StalkingHawk

Team Captain
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Nope, play him where he’s good. Running through the middle. He gets to the right spots, makes the right decisions, and goals come from it.

We have really lacked link up players through the middle this year. That is Moore’s 1 wood.

He makes Jaeger, Titch, cousins etc look way better, because they have someone in space to give it too. Helps to create positive forward movement for the forwards too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Need to be careful reading too much in to yesterday's game, which was against opposition who were in holiday mode. But I think if he was on the cusp, that game might have saved him. There is enough there to warrant another year as we are not well stocked for those link up half forward / wings and he played a really good game. I hope he gets another year.

Dewwwww

All Australian
Sep 10, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Must admit I thought he was gone. Seems to have a good tank. I remember watching him in the 2018 Box Hill Grand final and he looked very dangerous up forward due to his marking ability for such a small player. If he can play the role he did yesterday and then be able to rest forward and be a threat in attack like he was in that VFL finals series then he can be best 22.

Deserves 1 Moore year

Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Starting on the HFF and running up the ground to provide support really maximised Moore's strengths - he has the endurance to run all day and his football smarts let him get to the right positions. Even though there was minimal pressure against GC it suggested he knows where to be and can be dangerous when we're playing fast football. His teammates will start to realise this and utilise him more.

I really hope he doesn't get delisted because we tried to use him as a small pressure forward.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
He reminded me a bit of Lambert (who I rate) from the Tigers yesterday. Has a similar skill set and looks more suited to a role running around the middle/half forward than wasting away as a small forward.

An excellent comparison.

I was calling for his inclusion much earlier than it came. Validated my sentiments with a possible Brownlow vote worthy performance yesterday.

It could be 1 of 3 things.

1. Knows his papers are stamped and wanted to go out with a bang.
2. Knows he has to put in a convincing performance to retain his spot.
3. Knows he has a spot next year and to repay the faith he played his guts out.

Hopefully it's 3. Thinking it could be moore 2.

Slick

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
Berwick
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Keeping in mind that we were playing against witches hats yesterday but that was clearly Moore's best AFL game. It's probably enough from my perspective to get him another year on the list. He has a huge work rate and linked well through the middle and transitioning into the attacking 50.

It would be great to see him build on this in 2021 and try to claim a wing spot as his own. We need AFL level capable players and he's shown a glimpse that he can do that.

On Topic

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Half way through the first quarter I was saying something along the lines of “he clearly tries really hard and puts in 100% effort but probably doesn’t quite have what it takes to make it at AFL level”.

25 touches, 8 marks, 7 score involvements, 5 inside 50’s and a goal is a very good game and definitely made me eat my words.

Smith, Scully and Moore in the one side makes for a lot of outside run.

Hard worker who can pop up in the right spots.
Just needs a few more tricks

Doesn't even need tricks. Just clean up some of his kicks inside 50 where he had a lead but missed them.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
He stays for mine, might be gone next year though.

Delisted : Nash, Glass, Henderson, Ross, Minchington, Brooksby, Puopolo and Stratton.

Howe, Moore, Golds, Hanrahan and Reeves will get at least another.

What's happened to Ross? This time last year he came second in the VFL goal kicking didn't he?

theiaofseed

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What's happened to Ross? This time last year he came second in the VFL goal kicking didn't he?
I mean even Sam Grimley won the award twice, large majority of his goals were over the top footy that doesn't occur in the AFL. Love to be wrong but I saw no qualities that would translate to AFL.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Could Moore play a similar role to Caleb Daniel? :think:

Caleb is an elite kick. Could be the best in the AFL. Dyl might need a bit of work to even get close. The Kane Lambert comparison brought up earlier in the thread is a great one. Small, smart player who will work harder than his opponents all day and has smart sense around goal.

Doesn't even need tricks. Just clean up some of his kicks inside 50 where he had a lead but missed them.
Agree a couple of times he had produced multiple efforts and then got the ball when he was fatiguing and couldn't quite balance up to finish off neatly. Another preseason and a good run of games and I think he will fix that up.

Nov 13, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He should experiment with wearing gloves.
Seems to have small hands which might be why he isn't so clean with one grab possessions and maybe it also affects his ball drop.

Back