Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Dylan Moore. Extends to 2026!

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn

For what it’s worth, I recon every eligible player should just be up for consideration for the award at the end of the year. Not sure what the point of the nominations are each week apart from some sponsorship exposure for NAB.

Or they allow more than 1 each week. Particularly this year with 5 less games.

He had a brilliant game. Definitely will get coach votes.

For what it’s worth, I recon every eligible player should just be up for consideration for the award at the end of the year. Not sure what the point of the nominations are each week apart from some sponsorship exposure for NAB.

I agree. They should replace the weekly nomination with a rising star player showcase or something.

I dont think the club share a highlights video of a player they’re about to delist.

That would be one of the strangest things I’ve ever seen.

He must be safe.

I actually think he should be starting midfield, resting forward. Made everyone around him look better in that last game, great sign

He's definitely not a solution up forward, even resting. Doesn't have the pace to turn it on in that area.

He played the same role Scully was playing in the weeks prior and he performed it really well. Linked up beautifully.

I actually think he should be starting midfield, resting forward. Made everyone around him look better in that last game, great sign
Thing is that he was playing like his career was on the line, and it probably was. No good if he can't perform like that consistently. But of course we won't know if that's the case unless he gets another year, so I'd give it to him. But I'd be wary if next year he again only shows this level towards the end of the year.

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thing is that he was playing like his career was on the line, and it probably was. No good if he can't perform like that consistently. But of course we won't know if that's the case unless he gets another year, so I'd give it to him. But I'd be wary if next year he again only shows this level towards the end of the year.
I’m pretty sure if you go back over his Pre draft stuff that he was more a mid playing that role he did on the weekend as well as in the middle.
If he can consistently get over 20 touches and 4-5 score involvements he would quite easily sit in the best 22.
He was rated pretty highly in a few draft boards and I think we will find that we were very luck to pick him up where we did.
I recon a full preseason under his belt and some extended work with Mitchell (Sam) we may well have a goal kicking kid that we have been looking for for quite some time. He would be a sneaky chance for 15-20 goals with a bit more fitness and confidence in himself and from others.

B&GBlood

Premiership Player
Mar 19, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I’m pretty sure if you go back over his Pre draft stuff that he was more a mid playing that role he did on the weekend as well as in the middle.
If he can consistently get over 20 touches and 4-5 score involvements he would quite easily sit in the best 22.
He was rated pretty highly in a few draft boards and I think we will find that we were very luck to pick him up where we did.
I recon a full preseason under his belt and some extended work with Mitchell (Sam) we may well have a goal kicking kid that we have been looking for for quite some time. He would be a sneaky chance for 15-20 goals with a bit more fitness and confidence in himself and from others.
More games will see him flourish

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
I see him as a hard running high half forward/wing link up player who can sneak and kick goals as opposed to a small forward who can push up the ground. Those are two very different things.

I hope Dyl has the confidence and drive to step it up from here. He has greater endurance pace over distance than most of his opponents in the entire league. His job next year should be to simply defend when he needs to but aim to beat his opponent into complete submission through repeated running efforts. He did it last Sunday and look at the results.

Luckily for us he is a smart footballer as well as possessing that athletic ability.

Fingers crossed he isn't subjected to the majority of the year in the VFL while Tom Scully is first chosen regardless of form.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Certainly at under 18 level he did play in the centre square as well as a high half forward role. He doesn't stand up in the tackle well enough for a permanent inside mid role but I could see him being in the rotation if he can get a bit stronger. Showed good hands and vision when under pressure.

He's definitely not a solution up forward, even resting. Doesn't have the pace to turn it on in that area.

He played the same role Scully was playing in the weeks prior and he performed it really well. Linked up beautifully.
Not sure he isn't an option up forward. He has kicked 2 very crafty goals in the seniors this year. Has a knack around goals - it is one of his strengths. He doesnt have explosive pace like a Poppy did but he can craft goals.

Dylan Moore is:

1. Elite for endurance
2. Very good footy IQ
3. Good footskills
4. Small

Our midfield is already small, very small.

In nice, dry, open games he will flourish because he reads the game well and gets most of his possessions uncontested / in space, as a result of his work rate.

In congested, wet, sloppy games he will struggle as a mid because he will give away 5 - 15cm in height and 10 - 20kgs in weight to direct opponents.

Similar to Caleb Daniel he realistically can’t play in our midfield unless/until we have a couple of 6 foot 3 types (which we don’t have yet) to balance out such a small unit running through there.

So high half forward is definitely his spot if he is to be a regular in 2021

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Go well this season Dylan. You've done all the hard work.

Also interesting to see that he is also aware of the Kane Lambert comparison.

Zack

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Look im not a negative but he's strengths are a little bit harry Morrison, however we are rebuilding let them play and see who makes it.

He reminds me a lot of boomer Harvey without quite the pure pace or talent but a 80% boomer will that cut it who knows but its a rebuilding year let's see.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
1615800183487.gif

matey

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hawks fan growing up, wants to push for finals this year ..... seems like a genuine lad, great attitude with a good head on his shoulders.

Remember an interview with the Caulfield Grammar footy coach during the draft he was taken. They asked him, “who is the most likely to make it in the AFL from your school?” which also included Higgins. He said Moore and don’t quote me as I can’t exactly remember what he said but it was along the lines of being surprised that Higgins went before him.

Has had a lot of good reports during the preseason and deserves an opportunity for Rd1.

Back