Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Dylan Moore. Extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

None of those write-ups mention what I consider one of his best attributes, decision making - he has an ability to take/make the first best option everytime without hesitation - you can't teach that, something our more highly regarded mid fielders such as Titch and Wingard struggle with - by the way this is not potting those guys but they could learn a thing or 2 from this young rookie....

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Moore is the only Hawthorn player to kick a goal in five of the seven games so far.

I can't say for sure, because I don't code the games, but I suspect from watching very closely that Moore gets his goal opportunities because he doesn't respect his opponent and his opponent doesn't respect him.

There have been a few exceptions - where he gets contested goals - maybe 3 or 4 this year from many games.

Moore's goals and most of his possessions I suspect come from him running ahead of the play and not two way running. He doesn't have a defensive instinct. Plus the fact he never gets dropped.

I'm not a fan of Moore - so i'm prone to be harsh, even if it is an honest opinion. I watch him closely for the same reason.

I'm annoyed the coaches don't address it - it is his career.

Last edited:
None of those write-ups mention what I consider one of his best attributes, decision making - he has an ability to take/make the first best option everytime without hesitation - you can't teach that, something our more highly regarded mid fielders such as Titch and Wingard struggle with - by the way this is not potting those guys but they could learn a thing or 2 from this young rookie....

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree with his decision making with the ball - it stands out in our team. It is also likely why he is still in the team. But he is not a Brad Hill level player - he has to win his own ball.

People who want to LOL at criticsm of Moore:

He is:

hopeless at tackling
hopeless at two way running
hopeless once he loses the upper hand in a contest
When he loses a contest, he jogs
often pops up without any opponent to take possession which is most of his possessions (and that's not because of work rate, it's because of an unexpected turnover and him not chasing up field)
very rarely wins a contest when leading to the wing
very rarely wins a contest in the F50 unless the ball bounces his way
Has had 3 or 4 great moments - that required courage - this year - yes, he is a footballer
Is excellent with ball in hand - one of our best
Is good in a chain of possession - when handed the ball and we have ascendency

Let's all LOL and never drop him.

He is:

hopeless at tackling
often pops up without any opponent to take possession which is most of his possessions (and that's not because of work rate, it's because of an unexpected turnover and him not chasing up field)
Has had 3 or 4 great moments - that required courage - this year - yes, he is a footballer

LOL

He is:

hopeless at tackling

If we're going to become a succesful side in the coming years, then I'm tipping that Moore won't be part of it. I can see him racking up a lengthy career though if we remain at the levels of dross we're currently though, plenty of limited footballers have forged lengthy careers in poor sides.

He is:

hopeless at tackling

Did he never apologise for running over your dog or something?

In all seriousness though, you're list is a little easy to refute on a few key points.

He isn't hopeless at tackling. Lead the tackles for us against Richmond. Wins a free kick for holding the ball most weeks. It isn't his strength, but just because something isn't your strength doesn't mean you are automatically hopeless at it.

His role in the team is literally to work up and back and beat his opponent on the way back to goal. He's done it enough times this year that he currently sits second in our goal kicking.

You've ignored that he is surprisingly strong over head for a little guy.

His pressure forward of the ball isn't always quantifiable, but its strong enough that Tom Mitchell made mention of it in his post game interview after our win against Adelaide. So his team mates appreciate that part of his game.

To prove that i'm not trying to be argumentative, i'll agree on the point about him jogging once a contest looks lost. I wonder if it's because mentally he drops his head OR if it's fatigue because most weeks he is generally covering the most ground for us.

His direct comparison in the AFL is Kane Lambert, who fits perfectly into the Richmond system of play. A system that has won the Tigers 3 of the last 4 flags. Dylan could end up being part of our next premiership if our system works the best with him hitting his KPI's (hard running, linking up, applying forward pressure, averaging more than a goal a game).
He won't be a long tern prospect if Tyler Brockman, Seamus Mitchell and any other smaller forward we draft or trade for in the coming seasons can do Mooreys job better in a more dynamic way.

Personally I think more Hawthorn supporters should be proud of the work Moore has done to get himself to round 8 playing every game in the seniors averaging 14 disposals, 3 tackles and over a goal a game in a difficult position to play.

He is:

hopeless at tackling

If Moore is “hopeless” at tackling then it’s an indictment on the majority of our list. He currently sits 7th on our team for tackling and equal second for goals.

If his job as a forward is to apply pressure/tackle, kick goals and be a link up player up the ground, then he is doing his job. Yeah?

The dude is short, of course he will lose a majority of his 1 on 1 marking contests. Short people are very easy af to spoil. He isn’t in the team for that anyway. That’s like critiquing Hartigan for not bursting away from stoppages. No one is expecting it so
why even mention it? It’s a weird critique.

If Moore is “hopeless” at tackling then it’s an indictment on the majority of our list. He currently sits 7th on our team for tackling and equal second for goals.

If his job as a forward is to apply pressure/tackle, kick goals and be a link up player up the ground, then he is doing his job. Yeah?

The dude is short, of course he will lose a majority of his 1 on 1 marking contests. Short people are very easy af to spoil. He isn’t in the team for that anyway. That’s like critiquing Hartigan for not bursting away from stoppages. No one is expecting it so
why even mention it? It’s a weird critique.

Yeah our list is really bad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think his biggest issue right now is that he’s on page 1 of a Big Footy team page 4 days after he was involved in a 10 goal loss. Usually means your in line for some seriously harsh treatment.

Happy to have him in the side, but probably would be first out the minute a player with more speed and x factor appears.

If we're going to become a succesful side in the coming years, then I'm tipping that Moore won't be part of it. I can see him racking up a lengthy career though if we remain at the levels of dross we're currently though, plenty of limited footballers have forged lengthy careers in poor sides.

I don't want to write off Moore. For that reason i am really harsh in judging him on his attitude and work rate (not just his ability). if i thought he wasn't capable of doing better I wouldn't bother with him.

One of the disappointments of 2021 is that we added McRae to our coaching line-up and yet the defensive expectations on our small forwards seemed to have gone nowhere or backwards - Bruest, Olie and Moore don't seem to get judged on defensive efforts and two way rinning when it comes to selection (Though with Bruest I don't care).

Even if we have noone to replace them in the side, there needs to be integrity of effort.

I say play Nash for 5 weeks - we can't afford not to, we can't afford to waste a list spot on him.

Thought he was clearly our best last night. From an impact point of view, 18 disposals at 88% efficiency, 3 tackles, 2 goals 2, 107 Supercoach points (our highest). Heads into the bye having played all 11 games and kicking 13 goals. Averaging better than a goal a game is a great output for a small, high half forward.

Will we sign him up for 2022 sooner rather than later? You'd have to think it's a given at this point.

Also ranked 8th in the competition for tackles inside 50. At this point I feel as though we just need a stable partner in crime for him moving forward. Will it be Brockman, Hanrahan, Morris or someone else?

Thought he was clearly our best last night. From an impact point of view, 18 disposals at 88% efficiency, 3 tackles, 2 goals 2, 107 Supercoach points (our highest). Heads into the bye having played all 11 games and kicking 13 goals. Averaging better than a goal a game is a great output for a small, high half forward.

Will we sign him up for 2022 sooner rather than later? You'd have to think it's a given at this point.
It's players like this that keep working regardless that set the "next" standard - sign him up.

Get him on the main list. I think we've got a fair bit to work with here.

Also ranked 8th in the competition for tackles inside 50. At this point I feel as though we just need a stable partner in crime for him moving forward. Will it be Brockman, Hanrahan, Morris or someone else?
Me too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back