Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Emerson Jeka - delisted 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately he pingged a hammy today against the Ants for Box Hill but he simply doesn’t work hard enough to get off his man. Denver was far more industrious in less than a quarter as a forward

Sad but it is more than likely curtains for him at the end of year

Last edited:
Seems to have done another hamstring for BoxHill, after not showing a huge amount before that

Oh dear...

Might be curtains for him as a Hawk.

Can actually see him going elsewhere and turning into a serviceable player. Maybe a year facing reality and a change of scenery would do him good.

Tremendously talented.

Looked good as a CHB
I’d like to see him trialled as a KPD at Box Hill when he returns from injury. That seemed to be a much better fit for him when he was played there last year. He has the size and football ability to fill that role. It’s just a question of whether he can find the commitment and mindset to grab that opportunity, and hone his skills to become an effective KPD.

I’d like to see him trialled as a KPD at Box Hill when he returns from injury. That seemed to be a much better fit for him when he was played there last year. He has the size and football ability to fill that role. It’s just a question of whether he can find the commitment and mindset to grab that opportunity, and hone his skills to become an effective KPD.
I thought he trained with the backs during the pre-season and was moved forward when Lewis went down. Lewis is back so why is he still playing forward?

I thought he trained with the backs during the pre-season and was moved forward when Lewis went down. Lewis is back so why is he still playing forward?
They wouldn’t have moved him forward on a whim, and they’d likely have decided that if they did move him forward that they wouldn’t stuff him around by throwing him back even if Lewis made a miraculous recovery earlier.

I await the return to defense, and then the inevitable "he's a natural forward we should give him a chance to show his wares there" when the trial down back doesn't work out.

It's over for Jeka I'm afraid. Talented lad, unlucky with injuries and a distinct lack of desire.

One upside I can see with having Brandon Ryan on the list now is that there's no need to play Jeka up forward for Box Hill.

Jeka can sit at CHB where he is forced to overcome his work rate issues and have the best chance, albeit still unlikely, of fighting his way back to continue his AFL career.

Jeka played in defence for Box Hill yesterday and was quite good. I think if he’s going to stay on the list defence is where he will make it. Played the role last year in Tassie and was probably he best senior game for the Hawks. Hopefully can get his body right and string a run of good form together. Be a shame to delist him after such an interrupted year.
Having said that, I don’t think he’s going to make it up forward.

Jeka played in defence for Box Hill yesterday and was quite good. I think if he’s going to stay on the list defence is where he will make it. Played the role last year in Tassie and was probably he best senior game for the Hawks. Hopefully can get his body right and string a run of good form together. Be a shame to delist him after such an interrupted year.
I think he could be a very good KPD & hope we keep him on in that role.

Did he play FB or CHB?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suspect he’s done unless he can breakthrough and play some good AFL games this year. Unlike DGB, he hasn’t got competitiveness to fall back on to cushion poor output. Being tall and skilful could buy him another year, even delisted and re rookied, but he’s on very shaky ground now

Being tall and skilful could buy him another year, even delisted and re rookied, but he’s on very shaky ground now
Hopefully that'll be the go. Great prospect and still young. I think he'd have a key back post sewn up if not for injury.

He is. Which shows you what a waste it will be to lose him but if you don't have heart it is going to be hard to keep a spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back