Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Emerson Jeka - delisted 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Jeka was rated as a top ten pick in his under age year, not that means a heap but he's always had some obvious potential

His defensive work is not flash, that seems to be the only flaw - off limited viewing. That seems to be the most likely reason he slid. The rest of his game looks fine. He gets a little stronger and he will take some holding.

His defensive work is not flash, that seems to be the only flaw - off limited viewing. That seems to be the most likely reason he slid. The rest of his game looks fine. He gets a little stronger and he will take some holding.
Also missed a junior season through injury, didn't he?

That's a stretch, while your at it bring up James Hird at 95.

Players of that nature aren't missed anymore due to mulitple changes
in development leagues and recruiting information.
Still heaps of draft bargains to be had in recent years, particularly defenders. I think both Harris Andrews and J McGovern were taken in about the fourth round.

But it’s funny how defenders who are drafted with huge wraps, eg Weitering and Darcy Moore, spend a few years in the wilderness and people totally forget how good they are likely to become. Was talk of Sydney a few years back offering a first rounder for Moore, and people scoffed when McGuire said they’d be open to trade him for about 5 first rounders. Fast forward 3-4 years and that’s about his value - probably best defender in the comp.

Still heaps of draft bargains to be had in recent years, particularly defenders. I think both Harris Andrews and J McGovern were taken in about the fourth round.

But it’s funny how defenders who are drafted with huge wraps, eg Weitering and Darcy Moore, spend a few years in the wilderness and people totally forget how good they are likely to become. Was talk of Sydney a few years back offering a first rounder for Moore, and people scoffed when McGuire said they’d be open to trade him for about 5 first rounders. Fast forward 3-4 years and that’s about his value - probably best defender in the comp.

We were interested too.

Same with Rance before he turned himself into a great player.

Last week‘s commentary from Sam:

Emerson Jeka
"Early in the game he stubbed his toe while kicking and then gave away a free kick, so it was really pleasing to see him remain persistent and stick with it. He finished with six goals straight after that and was able to lay off multiple other chances to other players as well. His marking and leading was a strong feature of the win."

the week prior:

Emerson Jeka
"Jek struggled to get involved in the contest. ."

Kicked 11 goals the last two games, it was the 1st week out of three he was quiet.
Screenshot_20210414-181615_Instagram.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Said he always wanted to play with Brian Lake and Rhys Palmer.

Taylor walker pick 75 , Matt tabener pick 11 in the rookie draft, brody mihocek rookie draft and nen brown pick 47 are some recent examples.

Jeka was touted a first round pick two years earlier. Clearly something went awol and hope the Hawks can get the best out of him.
While that is true it is very common for underage kpf to slide back in rankings. James sellar was touted number 1 pick a year or two out. Still went in the first round but never looked like being an AFL standard kpf. Some of them are just the biggest kids in the school yard and get found out against similar sized kids. Not saying this is jeka but also not going to wave perceptions of him a year out as some kind of clear sign he will be a gun. I’m quietly optimistic on him as he is athletic and has good skills. 👍

This reminds me of some cricketrbanter with some mates a while back. We were questioning how the hell Steve Smith was in the Australian Test team in his formative years. None of us could see it. We laugh about it now but it just goes to show that talent identification an art form.

He will be the best out of our young KPF's. I feel the pairing will end up being Jeka and Lewis.
Jeka is TOB is TOB could mark and compete more aggressively I feel. Super mobile around the ground and a lethal kick!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back