Welcome to Hawthorn - Emerson Jeka

Remove this Banner Ad

Billyc

Premiership Player
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There is a lot of talk about how highly regarded he was going into U18 year and then didn’t get drafted in the National Draft. I wonder why. It can’t just be injuries as highly rated injured players even get picked top 10 after missing a full year. Especially a key forward. There must have been something to make all 18 clubs overlook him, I’m interested to know what it was.

Anyway I thought his debut was fine for a key forward in a thumping loss with a dreadful midfield. Took a strong mark, presented and crashed in all day.

H00t

Team Captain
Sep 28, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There is a lot of talk about how highly regarded he was going into U18 year and then didn’t get drafted in the National Draft. I wonder why. It can’t just be injuries as highly rated injured players even get picked top 10 after missing a full year. Especially a key forward. There must have been something to make all 18 clubs overlook him, I’m interested to know what it was.

Anyway I thought his debut was fine for a key forward in a thumping loss with a dreadful midfield. Took a strong mark, presented and crashed in all day.
I might be wrong. But when he played in his U18 year he struggled. Didn’t win much of the ball. Plus he seemed to choose when he went.

Seems odd looking at him in the VFL where he is none of these things. He keeps competing and gets involved a lot.

Unless he interviewed poorly?

Just seems like a bad miss from footy recruiters but he’s not the first and won’t be the last.

MrPremiership

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn

He played 2 games all season, so there wasn't enough data to get him selected in his draft year.

He hyper extended his knee in the game where Australia U18s played Casey.

You're not going to go in the main draft when you barely play

Stratton24

Club Legend
Aug 29, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He played 2 games all season, so there wasn't enough data to get him selected in his draft year.

He played 2 games for Vic Metro, he still played a good chuck of the u/18 season. His coach played him back for a lot of 2019 to ease him back from the knee injury/try and develop his game and he didn't play that well as he is clearly a forward.

Billyc

Premiership Player
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn

A lot of players do get drafted after missing a full year though. I am genuinely curious what the perceived knock on him was for all 18 clubs to overlook him. Might ask around on the draft board.

MrPremiership

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
A lot of players do get drafted after missing a full year though. I am genuinely curious what the perceived knock on him was for all 18 clubs to overlook him. Might ask around on the draft board.
I wouldn't say it's a lot....and if so, its probably a KPP and very late, or rookie draft. You're just banking on their size, risk/reward.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
he didnt kick many goals in the u18's and there were concerns on that, he always had a nice lead and mark, he was called "mini duck" because he led and played in a similar style to Wayne Carey, i think he average 1 goal a game in 20-30 games over 2 years in the u18 system which was a concern, but he seems to be doing well at Box Hill and i hope he can prove people wrong.

Billyc

Premiership Player
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
he didnt kick many goals in the u18's and there were concerns on that, he always had a nice lead and mark, he was called "mini duck" because he led and played in a similar style to Wayne Carey, i think he average 1 goal a game in 20-30 games over 2 years in the u18 system which was a concern, but he seems to be doing well at Box Hill and i hope he can prove people wrong.
So it was low output rather than injury that lowered his stocks? Athletically and from a skill perspective he looks a really good prospect but I guess if he just wasn’t getting the ball or kicking goals at U18 level that might explain it. Thanks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad