Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Emerson Jeka - delisted 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Mojo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2007
Beaumaris
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I like him as a strong, reliable KPF. May not be dynamic & take the game apart by himself but he'll be a focal point & allow others to mark off his presence & contested play (at the worst).

I thought I saw a bit of Jon Patton in his play as well, but that may be just his size etc.

The benefit of having a host of KPP players is that they can all learn off one another. I think Jon Patton will play an integral role within Hawthorn's walls with players like Emerson Jeka and Mitch Lewis, TOB, etc

Nov 13, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
How do you go from Top 10 to not even being selected in the national draft, just goes to show draft is a lottery. The more chances
you get at picking up potential top 20 players, you hope few of them will succeed.
The guy had a two month knee injury and came back underprepared.
That pretty much wipes out your season.

I didn't know he was so highly regarded at the beginning of the season.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Watching the highlights the Hawthorn Facebook page just posted and there is a lot of similarity to Jesse Hogan in the way Jeka moves and kicks. A lot of potential here in my opinion. Fingers crossed for the 10 years we have a Darling/Kennedy or Buddy/Rough style combo between Lewis and Jeka.

Lord Mud of Glenferrie

Club Legend
Hawthorn Hawks - Lowden, Anderson, Woodward Player Sponsor 2013 Hawthorn Hawks - Smith and Savage 2011 Player Sponsor Hawthorn Hawks - Smith and Savage 2012 Player Sponsor
Dec 13, 2008
Tied to an oxygen tube
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Canetoads Bulls Gunners Packers
Yes for some reason in the recruiting world people seem to always confuse poor kicking and poor decision making. From what I’ve seen Jeka is a great kick technically but just tries to bite off too much sometimes or takes the wrong option. Recruiters made the same mistake with Worpel who is a brilliant kick technically.

Yeah. This is probably not the best thread for this but it gives me a chance to do a comparison.

Scrimshaw is regarded as and is a good kick but many of his kicks seem to be too ambitious. To me, he seems to be a good example of a good kick without getting the hoped-for result. I will probably now be shot down in flames by someone informing me he has a kicking efficiency of over 70%.

Lord Mud of Glenferrie

Club Legend
Hawthorn Hawks - Lowden, Anderson, Woodward Player Sponsor 2013 Hawthorn Hawks - Smith and Savage 2011 Player Sponsor Hawthorn Hawks - Smith and Savage 2012 Player Sponsor
Dec 13, 2008
Tied to an oxygen tube
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Canetoads Bulls Gunners Packers
Sep 22, 2010
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Roys SFA
Wow, really like the look of this guy - he moves in the forward line like he owns it, with absolute confidence, beautiful positioning and marking. Really quite surprised he slid as far as he did? I don't think some of the other top KPF prospects look as good as him.

I notice his dad is wearing a "Jeka Boxing Academy" shirt (https://jekaboxing.com.au/) which looks like a pretty serious outfit. Would be handy if Emerson has been plying the family trade for a few years, will have a conditioned body and a bit of mongrel to him!

Wow, really like the look of this guy - he moves in the forward line like he owns it, with absolute confidence, beautiful positioning and marking. Really quite surprised he slid as far as he did? I don't think some of the other top KPF prospects look as good as him.

I notice his dad is wearing a "Jeka Boxing Academy" shirt (https://jekaboxing.com.au/) which looks like a pretty serious outfit. Would be handy if Emerson has been plying the family trade for a few years, will have a conditioned body and a bit of mongrel to him!
Move over Big, Bad, Bustling Barry Hall and meet Enormous, Evil, Enraged Emerson Jeka!

There is plenty to work with but plenty to work on as well. Unlikely he will feature this year in the senior list and will likely take as long as Lewis to debut.
Just as long as he then comes along as quickly as ML ;)

Birdofprey

Club Legend
Jun 14, 2017
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Iowa Hawkeyes
Kid that size kicking both feet so comfortably is fantastic.

Such a stressful time for some of these young a blokes - an injury can take a guy like that from possible first round option to possible not get drafted at all.

I’m glad we gave him a go.

I also like that our draft picks this year seem to be highly skilled with the footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pity he didn’t play with the 2013 NS medalist and 2008 RS medalist ....

Ay.....??
I have read this a few times now, and I still don’t get it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back