Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Emerson Jeka - delisted 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

PatientHawk

All Australian
Hawthorn Hawks - Muston and Savage Player Sponsor 2010 Hawthorn Hawks - Beau Muston 2009 Player Sponsor Hawthorn Hawks - Beau Muston 2008 Player Sponsor
Sep 19, 2006
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Was told he was rated as a potential top 5 pick at under 16 level before injuries hit him hard.

Really like this pick up, hard to tell if he’ll make it but seemingly has the tools to give it a red hot crack.

Let’s hope he gets a good run at it
everyone is referring to this from Plough in 2017
1575254061765.png

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The areas of improvement for Emerson are his aggression - he can take a contested mark no worries, but needs to impact the game more for a player of his size such as crashing packs, making opposition players worry etc. - and his consistency. He would look like a dominant tall for a quarter here and there but it has not all come together yet. I think he's good value where he was taken. I considered him in that 50-70 bracket, and could have been higher with some renewed consistency. Did have some injury interruptions this year too.

this is what a draft watcher said about why Emerson slid so heavily in the draft

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Was absolutely considered top 10 going into his top age year, unfortunately had some injuries and really struggled to get a kick and make an impact. Despite that clubs were keen on his athletic profile and raw talent, some were turned off as he is a bit of a “lad” #AFewSlipUps but in the right system I think he could be a genuine player.

Just need to keep him away from the clubs.

Was absolutely considered top 10 going into his top age year, unfortunately had some injuries and really struggled to get a kick and make an impact. Despite that clubs were keen on his athletic profile and raw talent, some were turned off as he is a bit of a “lad” #AFewSlipUps but in the right system I think he could be a genuine player.

He cant be as bad as Buddy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sohsam

All Australian
Oct 5, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
everyone is referring to this from Plough in 2017
View attachment 787905
Interesting that people saying Pickett was bolter, yet had him at pick 7. He was listed by AFL pick 40. It was so much a stretch then for Melbourne to take him where they did. Interesting what another person said re J Mahony and other, things change so much in a few years.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Seems to come across well in his interview

MisterBean

Team Captain
Apr 25, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
The Hawks
Politely disagree doppelganger!

Skills, endurance, speed, etc can all be improved. A player's decision making is their footy IQ; they're essentially born with it (not to say it can't be improved, however).
Thank goodness I have found you Mojo, I thought I had lost you. ;)

I agree that Skills, endurance and speed can be improved, especially the first two.

I suggest that a player's decision making, especially in a systems based side like Hawthorn, would be far more likely to have a perceived improvement after a few years as compared to playing in many different teams with many different coaching styles as a junior. It may have been that there was very little wrong with players like Jeka's decision making in the first place. Maybe Jeka and his ilk will flourish within a system in which they play a role that a) He knows b) The team knows c) He is ideal for.

Footy IQ can be coached and learnt through study and observation, as evidenced by some players being injured for long phases who come back as significantly better footballers, despite being physically weaker. As an aside: a person can raise their IQ score dramatically by studying the types of questions asked on IQ tests.

Abasi likes his prog too from memory (the username reveals such a proclivity).

Alas, perhaps my joke was...no good.

You joke is fine but it's his FIRST name and Lake and Palmer's surnames, which makes it tougher to figure out because Emerson Brian and Rhys was never a thing. Which I have mentioned earlier. I got it instantly, because I considered making the exact same post, but it was this that prevented me from doing so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back