MisterBean

Team Captain
Apr 25, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
The Hawks
I love the off-season and draft time. First our rookie pick is like John Patton, then like Jonathon Brown. How good is hope :)
Personally, once I saw his pre-draft highlights, I was thinking his playing style was a bit like Carey.

If Terry Wallace thought Jeka was ahead of Rowell and Jackson two years ago, that's not an altogether unrealistic hope.

Not quite so fluid in the movements on the highlights, but in terms of intent and effect of play involvement, there is a little bit of the Kernahan, Carey type of centre half forward.

Oct 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Atlanta Braves, Falcons, Everton
Welcome Emerson

9002C04EEA3545A4A9F47303CECA393D.ashx

I'm really concerned by how many people are suggesting that Jeka will make it due to Wallace's tips. It's amazing how quickly opinions can change - there's a lot of people who generally are not Wallace fans - particularly his coaching and commentating. But now that he's rated Jeka, well...

Nov 13, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm really concerned by how many people are suggesting that Jeka will make it due to Wallace's tips. It's amazing how quickly opinions can change - there's a lot of people who generally are not Wallace fans - particularly his coaching and commentating. But now that he's rated Jeka, well...
anything club or Wallace related I tend to disregard.
Too much self-interest to take him seriously.

Talent assessment of U18s = oh ok. Interesting.
Nothing to depend on, but what else is there on Jeka?

TallyHawk

Premiership Player
Jun 12, 2010
Bunbartha
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester City FC

It’s blind faith, not all make it. This kid had some setbacks, no pressure being a rookie. I was keeping an eye out on this lad and Dylan Williams who went through some adversity yet highly rated last year. We got at least one of them...for now.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Terry Wallace for list management = awful
Terry Wallace as a draft watcher = reasonable enough

Rocket72

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
I *think* I was the first to raise Jeka's high rating as a 16yo. I just want to be clear that I made the comment before seeing the Wallace clip. In fact, I strongly suspect that Wallace obtained that view from others....

So, I'm concerned about how many people think Wallace knew enough to make what were pretty decent claims (he had 2 of the top 3 draftees) 🙂

Last edited:
I *think* I was the first to raise Jeka's high rating as a 16yo. I just want to be clear that I made the comment before seeing the Wallace clip. In fact, I strongly suspect that Wallace obtained that view from others....

So, I'm concerned about how many people think Wallace knew enough to make what were pretty decent claims (he had 2 of the top 3 draftees) 🙂
It makes me feel better he's stealing ideas from elsewhere. Gives me more hope for Jeka.

FYI - my "concern" should have been in Sarcastica font. I reckon he looks a likely type from what I've seen. That said, some of the comparisons with player types and some of the hype on a rookie selection are quite large from the board.

Rocket72

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
It makes me feel better he's stealing ideas from elsewhere. Gives me more hope for Jeka.

FYI - my "concern" should have been in Sarcastica font. I reckon he looks a likely type from what I've seen. That said, some of the comparisons with player types and some of the hype on a rookie selection are quite large from the board.

I getchya, the second part of my reply was tongue in cheek too. I recognised your name and knew where you'd be coming from.

I'm very hopeful for him and think that a rookie spot is just perfect, heaps of potential upside with a big possibility of never playing a senior game. The smooth moving does explain the Carey reference I saw at least once but man that is ambitious hey.

Nov 13, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Jeka looks like a young Patton to me. Freaky how much he moves like him in his highlights.
I agree.
If someone had told you he was drafted in the top 10, you would believe them by the look of his highlights.
Aggressive in the air, strong hands and good kicking technique.
Add to that his impressive athleticism and you've got a lot to work with.

It's all about development.

Back