Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Emerson Jeka - delisted 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

There is a lot of talk about how highly regarded he was going into U18 year and then didn’t get drafted in the National Draft. I wonder why. It can’t just be injuries as highly rated injured players even get picked top 10 after missing a full year. Especially a key forward. There must have been something to make all 18 clubs overlook him, I’m interested to know what it was.

Anyway I thought his debut was fine for a key forward in a thumping loss with a dreadful midfield. Took a strong mark, presented and crashed in all day.

There is a lot of talk about how highly regarded he was going into U18 year and then didn’t get drafted in the National Draft. I wonder why. It can’t just be injuries as highly rated injured players even get picked top 10 after missing a full year. Especially a key forward. There must have been something to make all 18 clubs overlook him, I’m interested to know what it was.

Anyway I thought his debut was fine for a key forward in a thumping loss with a dreadful midfield. Took a strong mark, presented and crashed in all day.
I might be wrong. But when he played in his U18 year he struggled. Didn’t win much of the ball. Plus he seemed to choose when he went.

Seems odd looking at him in the VFL where he is none of these things. He keeps competing and gets involved a lot.

Unless he interviewed poorly?

Just seems like a bad miss from footy recruiters but he’s not the first and won’t be the last.

He played 2 games all season, so there wasn't enough data to get him selected in his draft year.

He hyper extended his knee in the game where Australia U18s played Casey.

You're not going to go in the main draft when you barely play

He played 2 games all season, so there wasn't enough data to get him selected in his draft year.

He played 2 games for Vic Metro, he still played a good chuck of the u/18 season. His coach played him back for a lot of 2019 to ease him back from the knee injury/try and develop his game and he didn't play that well as he is clearly a forward.

A lot of players do get drafted after missing a full year though. I am genuinely curious what the perceived knock on him was for all 18 clubs to overlook him. Might ask around on the draft board.

A lot of players do get drafted after missing a full year though. I am genuinely curious what the perceived knock on him was for all 18 clubs to overlook him. Might ask around on the draft board.
I wouldn't say it's a lot....and if so, its probably a KPP and very late, or rookie draft. You're just banking on their size, risk/reward.

he didnt kick many goals in the u18's and there were concerns on that, he always had a nice lead and mark, he was called "mini duck" because he led and played in a similar style to Wayne Carey, i think he average 1 goal a game in 20-30 games over 2 years in the u18 system which was a concern, but he seems to be doing well at Box Hill and i hope he can prove people wrong.

he didnt kick many goals in the u18's and there were concerns on that, he always had a nice lead and mark, he was called "mini duck" because he led and played in a similar style to Wayne Carey, i think he average 1 goal a game in 20-30 games over 2 years in the u18 system which was a concern, but he seems to be doing well at Box Hill and i hope he can prove people wrong.
So it was low output rather than injury that lowered his stocks? Athletically and from a skill perspective he looks a really good prospect but I guess if he just wasn’t getting the ball or kicking goals at U18 level that might explain it. Thanks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would prefer to play him for Lewis at the minute, let him develop at AFL now, his field kicking is elite and bring people around him into the game.

I would like to see if Lewis can play 50% ruck and 50% forward in the VFL - see if he could make the David Hale role his own

Certain swagger about this kid. After he jagged that 2nd goal (banana kick) there was no fanfare, just an expectation of ability.

Hopefully the club doesn't bulk him up and keeps him as a flanker.
A lead-up forward, using his beautiful kicking to advantage

Sounds good

You don't put up the kind of form he has over 5-6 weeks if you're not a legitimate prospect.
He's going to be something special.
He’s a second year player (with last year being a non development year in many respects) and his VFL performances are as good or better than JUH / McDonald and other high draft picks (he’s posting similar numbers to McDonald in the WAFL last year). He is dominating that level, taking a lot of marks and kicking bags. Whether he can translate it to AFL is the challenge but he is already too good for VFL and he’s shown it in two stints this season now. Given Hawthorn’s forward line is terrible he needs to be in the side and persisted with, not dumped because the midfield delivery is s**t.

Kosi and Jeka should be given 4-6 weeks as a forward duo. If that means Lewis goes down to BH, so be it. The other two have much greater upside and need to be developed and Jeka’s VFL form needs to be rewarded.

With his size, leading and kicking on both sides, if he can develop and translate his game to AFL, he is as good a prospect as any on our list and could be an incredible draft steal

Last edited:
He’s a second year player (with last year being a non development year in many respects) and his VFL performances are as good or better than JUH / McDonald and other high draft picks (he’s posting similar numbers to McDonald in the WAFL last year). He is dominating that level, taking a lot of marks and kicking bags. Whether he can translate it to AFL is the challenge but he is already too good for VFL and he’s shown it in two stints this season now. Given Hawthorn’s forward line is terrible he needs to be in the side and persisted with, not dumped because the midfield delivery is sh*t.

Kosi and Jeka should be given 4-6 weeks as a forward duo. If that means Lewis goes down to BH, so be it. The other two have much greater upside and need to be developed and Jeka’s VFL form needs to be rewarded.

With his size, leading and kicking on both sides, if he can develop and translate his game to AFL, he is as good a prospect as any on our list and could be an incredible draft steal
Let’s be honest, Jeka was omitted because some of his efforts in contests were not at the level required.

Sure the midfield delivery doesn’t help, but letting your opponent take front position continually won’t get you any favors either.

Hoping that when he comes back in he really stamps himself.

Let’s be honest, Jeka was omitted because some of his efforts in contests were not at the level required.

Sure the midfield delivery doesn’t help, but letting your opponent take front position continually won’t get you any favors either.

I agree he wasn’t good in those two games (in which we got thumped). But we have persevered with guys who have been no good for years, who don’t dominate VFL the way Jeka does and who don’t have the same upside (or any upside at all in some instances). In a rebuilding side, he’s potentially an important piece of the puzzle and needs to be given an extended run at it.

I don’t agree with giving young guys a game for the s**t of it (like calls to play Finn or Downie on the back of ordinary VFL performances) but if a young bloke is too good for VFL and we are rebuilding, they should be playing seniors

Agree with this his efforts 1 on 1 were poor.
However watching him at box hill his huge strength is on the lead. Up the ground and inside 50.
That is the issue between box hill and hawthorn. Our forwards don’t lead at balll carrier (half the forwards fault half the midfield fault)
So as you said if he comes back in I hope he plays to his strength and leads hard up ground and to ball carrier. That’s when will see him play well like he is at box hill.
Great field kick on left and right foot also.

Definitely worse guys to copy, Kennedy developed into an incredibly reliable mark and dangerous goal kicker.
If he tries Kennedy's run up, I'm off the band wagon at the next stop.

Showing heaps - getting better delivery - is remaining cool when he's missed on the lead - has more space at Box Hill - played in front and presented most of the game - crashed in when out numbered - his game sense and ability to quickly get ball to boot is definitely something we can use/work with/turn into a weapon.

I hope we don't do anything stupid like put Kosi back and bring Jeka in for Hartigan - etc. Just let him develop - he'll be fine.

I can understand dropping him back down to the VFL for some acts around letting his man run-off him, little pressure etc. - but he's only being asked to do those things because the structure has failed and he hasn't been given a chance to exploit his strengths.

If we didn't give him such s**t house delivery and tried, even once, a flat pass to his lead - then he marks and has a shot at goal and 'applying forward half pressure' doesn't frigging matter... Let opposition worry about us in the forward line instead of us worrying about them - attack is the best defence is the old adage right? (never mind it's also an exciting brand of football that makes people want to support the club instead of bleaching their eyes with the current format)

It's like me getting pissed that Lockett didn't slice the oranges at half time... it shouldn't be his job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back