Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Emerson Jeka - delisted 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Jeka is the one guy on our list I am most excited about.
I feel really optimistic he will be a real weapon in time.
I watched him live a couple of times last year for Box Hill and I agree, he looks to have the potential to be a star. I know there are no guarantees but I think he has the ability and tools to be better than Kosi and Lewis. Let’s hope the three continue to develop and we have them all firing in long careers at Hawthorn.

If you are using his draft pick to calculate those odds, perhaps.
If you are using his form in the VFL, definitely not.

Very few KPF draftees under 20 kick so many goals over 2 months and don't go on to become established AFL senior players.

Yup, and there's no luck in his stats. He's not winning a bunch of mucked ball and scrambling goals, or getting a fortuitous tackle for gimme goal.
He works up and down the ground and moves very smoothly, catches the leather like it isn't the struggle many make it to be, wheels and turns and would go faster if given the green light, and kicks EXTREMELY well off both pegs.
Only reason he wouldn't make it is if he doesn't have enough GAF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big show of faith

Thought Sam's comments on Jeka was that "he could be anything".....sees the big talent there

They know he could be, because his best has already been far above VFL level. If he can build consistency of application he could be in the top bracket of forwards.

Jeka could be the main ingredient - Marks, Moves and Kicks like a star in the waiting, he looked a lil gun shy at Afl level last yr but did make his debut in one of the worst games for the H.F.C.

- Gets his work rate up and Sam finds that Magic, I think he has the highest ceiling from the Key Forwards on our list.

Last edited:
Considering Lochie Bramble and Jai Newcombe were also on the rookie list that shows they have a lot of faith in Jeka to promote him ahead of the others. The few games I saw him play at Box Hill he just looked a class above the VFL for the way he moved and presented. Hope that continues to the AFL as he could be Gunston's replacement in a few years.

Clone.
Everything about the way he moves and handles the ball reminds me of Carey.
I hope with physical development he can be similarly imposing on the contest.

Mix between Carey and Tex Walker for mine. Just oozes talent. Really help he can deliver on it.

Jeka could be better than Lewis and Kozi. Rapt to see his growth physically. Starting to really build muscle.
Needs to play week in week out. How? Do not know. Tight squeeze. I guess if one of our forwards is injured or out of form then Jeka comes in. But this guy could be a star (I reckon he will be. And it's great Mitchell likes him too.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back