Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Fergus Greene

Remove this Banner Ad

Played five games for the Western Bulldogs in 2018, after being drafted by the Bulldogs with pick 70 in the 2016 national draft. Although he was on the Bulldogs' list until the end of 2020, he didn't manage another senior game. After being delisted by the Bulldogs, he signed with Box Hill and he kicked 30 goals from nine games in the shortened 2021 VFL season. In 2022, he was in the mix for the Frosty Miller Medal for leading goalkicker in the VFL right up to the final round of the campaign, finishing the season with 53 goals from 17 games.

He becomes the fourth player from Box Hill that has joined the Hawthorn list in the last two years (James Blanck, Lachlan Bramble and Jai Newcombe are the other three).
Hi Dixie, can you confirm height and weight, 187-190 is what i found , he's not 75kilos ;)

Will help Box hill recruit too. All our box hill recruits lately show that if you perform their then it’s a good chance you will get a go at Hawthorn. Proper feeder club which I love.
Yes it's a great alternative pathway for youngsters trying to get to the big league and will make Box Hill very attractive.

Brilliant! …………… Love this ……… Well done Hawks.

Fergus does what we all want from a forward… He Kicks Goals!

While we may not see him rising over packs for the spectacular mark, we will see him gets separation and not fumble. Then, when he is within 40 meters and if he has a decent look at the goals, He rarely misses.

Greene has been very good for Box Hill in wet and windy conditions. He will be even better for the Hawks on the pristine AFL grounds.

If ever there was a Money Ball selection then this is it. He is a bit short for a marking fwd and has long legs… he looks like a Harry High pants.

Please don’t worry about what he cannot do… just love what he does.

He Kicks Goals!
Agree with all this - for those who wanted Henry, here's your alternative (and in the wings we have Jai Serong continuing to develop).

Congratulations and welcome Fergus. Had some ripper games at Box Hill this year. Will be looking forward to seeing what he can bring to Hawthorn.

Quite surprised to see this...neither ecstatic nor disappointed.

He has his work cut out to make an impact due to his size, but his Box Hill form suggests he deserved a chance.

If there's anything that tilts me towards positivity, it's that Sam saw him at Box Hill, and thinks he has the traits that can cut it at a higher level. He saw it with Jai, Bramble, and then with Blanck, so his strike rate is excellent.

In Sam We Trust

Last edited:
He’s smart around goals. Certainly knows how to kickem.

Will be competing with Breust, Wingard, Brockman & Butler for a medium forward spot. He’ll get his opportunity at some point. Good pick up Hawks.

Good on him. I love that we reward players that perform at Box Hill. This can only help us attract other potential DFA's or draftees that miss out to come and try their luck at Box Hill.
Think this is bang on. Sam knows from experience that the state league is a vital source of AFL quality players. Aspiring AFL level talent will look closely at box hill at the rate we draft blokes from there.

Quite surprised to see this...neither ecstatic nor disappointed.

He has his work cut out to make an impact due to his size, but his Box Hill form suggests he deserved a chance.

If there's anything that tilts me towards positivity, it's that Sam saw him at Box Hill, and thinks he has the traits that can cut it at a higher level. He saw it with Jai, Bramble, and then with Blanck, so his strike rate is excellent.

In Sam We Trust
Might think that he is quite “coachable”

Think this is bang on. Sam knows from experience that the state league is a vital source of AFL quality players. Aspiring AFL level talent will look closely at box hill at the rate we draft blokes from there.
If I am a short, slow, blonde inside mid with great skills I know which VFL club I am signing up for 😉

Love this pick, really smart player and makes most of his chances. Perfect Gunston replacement.
Yeah I was thinking along the same lines. He's actually a genuine fwd. Unlike trying to mould a mid into a fwd. As you note, he's very clever and I love his enthusiasm. Definitely worth watching him at Box Hill. The goals he kicked were not one-offs and he's a good kick.

Gee things are falling into place... Once Sammy arrived.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was talented enough to get 3 yrs and 5 AFL games at the Dogs. No reason to think he won’t take this second chance and elevate himself further.

We need guys in his age bracket and this is a very astute move.

Zero cost, nothing to lose and everything to gain

Can't deny his VFL performances. In-between types who aren't quite pressure forwards, aren't quite key forwards can find AFL level difficult. Fritsch is the only one now who does it well. But he couldn't have done any more to earn his chance 💪

Love seeing these Box Hill guys get their shot

Last edited:
He's just a fat Kris Barlow...

On a serious note, he needs to work harder on his physical conditioning.

He's just a fat Kris Barlow...

On a serious note, he needs to work harder on his physical conditioning.

1st in the beep test in his draft class of 2016.

Too good for VFL level.

These things don't happen without being in good physical condition. Not everybody has the genetics to look like Tarzan.

It's also smack bang in the middle of off-season. This is literally as 'bad' as these guys will look.

I saw that beep test result on the Doggies' player thread for him this evening when I went over knowing he was now on the list.

Must say that surprises me. Wouldn't have guessed from his role and Box Hill games.

EDIT: Apparently did a lot of interval work in the pre-draft to really build for that

I saw that beep test result on the Doggies' player thread for him this evening when I went over knowing he was now on the list.

Must say that surprises me. Wouldn't have guessed from his role and Box Hill games.

I wonder if he still has the tank to play some minutes up the ground. Looks like he has the agility, awareness and skills to play the role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back