Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Fergus Greene

Remove this Banner Ad

His standout skill for mine is his ability to exploit his opponents lapse in concentration.
Zone off him and he’ll burn you
Look one way and he’s gone.

Sure he’s nothing special in the physical / contested area but he’s got the ability to create and make his opportunities count.
Appears to have smarts, a good tank, mature attitude, good hand and foot skills.
(There are plenty of players in the AFL who wouldn't tick all of those boxes)

The only question will be his ability to delver at a higher level of intensity.
Good, conservative selection given our list profile

Is his difficulty with getting separation from an opponent an area Bruest could help him with do you think?
Fergus is a little slow and shorter than Gunston. Those pumping his tyres like he is the next Jack are forgetting this fact.

That all said, should he get fit enough, he will give this second opportunity everything he can.

I will be honest. He is not the elite forward we need. Let’s hope he can be a good and consistent player.

Kosi is a good bloke as well, but is not the elite forward we need. We only have two players who are true elite forwards. Lewis and Bruest. With Wingard, Moore, and Jars rotating through. We need more, we will get them, but it will take time.

Fergus is a little slow and shorter than Gunston. Those pumping his tyres like he is the next Jack are forgetting this fact.

That all said, should he get fit enough, he will give this second opportunity everything he can.

I will be honest. He is not the elite forward we need. Let’s hope he can be a good and consistent player.

Kosi is a good bloke as well, but is not the elite forward we need. We only have two players who are true elite forwards. Lewis and Bruest. With Wingard, Moore, and Jars rotating through. We need more, we will get them, but it will take time.
I don't think we should put an "elite" expectation on him. He's a DFA.
And Kosi was a late 3rd rounder.

No one's saying he's at Gunners level either. Not many are. But he may be asked to play that role, in his own way. To his own strengths.

Slightly strange pick up given how we just nuked most/all of our fringe and depth players (why get depth now?) + we have a heap of guys who need minutes in the forward line (butler, Brockman, serong, ramma).

Still, we must have seen something we liked so best of luck to him in his second chance at afl. Am sure he’ll give it a massive crack.

I don't think we should put an "elite" expectation on him. He's a DFA.
And Kosi was a late 3rd rounder.

No one's saying he's at Gunners level either. Not many are. But he may be asked to play that role, in his own way. To his own strengths.
Concede all of that. Just saying, if we are to progress to silverware I am not expecting Fergus and Kosi to take us there

Concede all of that. Just saying, if we are to progress to silverware I am not expecting Fergus and Kosi to take us there

Taylor Duryea wouldn't take a side to a flag either - hasn't stopped him play in 2 flag winning sides for us and playing in a grand final last year. There's not a single premiership side that has had wall to wall elite players.

I see Fergus as the sort of player that knows his own weaknesses all too well. But as Sam Mitchell has said before, concentrate on your strengths to maximum advantage. Fergus doesn't have the height or athleticism of Gunner but he's more a stock Poppy but with more size, less pace but very deadly around goals. He reads the ball coming into the forward line well and he's a good kick for goal. As other posters have indicated, not everyone is a star but everyone should know their role. If he kicks a couple or so a week he's a 40 -50 goal a game forward and he comes cheaper than others that we looked at e.g. Lachie Schultz and he was sitting in our own backyard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't deny his VFL performances. In-between types who aren't quite pressure forwards, aren't quite key forwards can find AFL level difficult. Fritsch is the only one now who does it well. But he couldn't have done any more to earn his chance 💪

Love seeing these Box Hill guys get their shot
Fritsch spent a year or two at Casey developing his game as we know. It's actually the exact sort of example we are looking at. If he can develop into a decent medium forward we are laughing. Membrey is the other one who has a similar profile.

Mark Williams may be the best reference point for Greene - elusive, difficult match-up, good hands and a sharp-shooter. Williams was a career two goal a game forward and had some seasons where he averaged three.
Membrey and Fritsch are the current day comparisons. Both play taller than they are and are consistent goalkickers.

Slightly strange pick up given how we just nuked most/all of our fringe and depth players (why get depth now?) + we have a heap of guys who need minutes in the forward line (butler, Brockman, serong, ramma).

Still, we must have seen something we liked so best of luck to him in his second chance at afl. Am sure he’ll give it a massive crack.
There’s no player we “nuked” in our delistings who kicked bags of VFL goals and plays as a third / hybrid tall.

It’s not about fringe/depth. It’s about bringing in a player who can actually fill a best 22 need with his strengths.

There’s no player we “nuked” in our delistings who kicked bags of VFL goals and plays as a third / hybrid tall.

It’s not about fringe/depth. It’s about bringing in a player who can actually fill a best 22 need with his strengths.
Yeah, just because he's not an established afl player guaranteed to be best 22 like Amon doesn't make him depth. He's another forward option for us. We've just lost one and have been rotating mids and youngsters through the other in 2022. Bruest, wingard and Lewis are the only certain forward starters in my opinion. Greene, Butler, Kosi, Jeka, Long, Brockman, Serong and if he gets a contract seamus Mitchell will fight for the other spots. And on 2022 form Greene will be front of the queue.

Obviously also contention from other players who may spend time forward like Moore, day, scrimshaw, Frost, Hardwick, Morrison, Morris,impy, cj.

Membrey and Fritsch are the current day comparisons. Both play taller than they are and are consistent goalkickers.
If Kosi and Ferg emulate Membrey and Fritsch I will be very happy.

I knew my comment about Ferg and Kosi and elite forwards would stimulate a response. I won’t bite, other than to say, I would be very happy for Ferg to become a very damaging forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back