Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Fergus Greene

Remove this Banner Ad

As far as I can tell we missed this interview on BigFooty. The is a lot to like about Fergus off the field as well as on.

Yeah, he's extremely likeable (and very funny - instagram comments are hilarious - but there's clearly much more to him than that). Really hope he does well.

In the VFL Fergus always seems to get into space. I had no idea how he did it … that said, he also went missing in some games for a Qtr or 2 and then bobbed up for goals late in the Qtr. He was almost always influential in the 4th Qtr if the ball was getting into the fwd line. So why?

None of this made sense to me: Until it became clear that he is an elite gut runner: top 5 at the Hawks 4x1 trials will put him in elite terms (when compared to those he finished in front of). And in his draft year he had a beep test of 15.6, which has him not far behind Bradley Hill at 16.1 and well ahead of all but 3 in the National Combine including Harry Morrison at 14.1.

All in all, Fergus is a guy that works his butt off to be the best that he can be (an aerobic talent), a fwd line leading aficionado, and a finisher that (now) even Gunston should envy.

Added to that his infectiously fun personality, and his humility coming from knowing that this is likely his last chance, … we have a gem.

And he fits perfectly in with our gut-running brigade. Fun times ahead!

Last edited:
In the VFL Fergus always seems to get into space. I had no idea how he did it … that said, he also went missing in some games for a Qtr or 2 and then bobbed up for goals late in the Qtr. He was almost always influential in the 4th Qtr if the ball was getting into the fwd line. So why?

None of this made sense to me: Until it became clear that he is an elite gut runner: top 5 at the Hawks 4x1 trials will put him in elite terms (when compared to those he finished in front of). And in his draft year he had a beep test of 15.6, which has him not far behind Bradley Hill at 16.1 and well ahead of all but 3 in the National Combine including Harry Morrison at 14.1.

All in all, Fergus is a guy that works his butt off to be the best that he can be (an aerobic talent), a fwd line leading aficionado, and a finisher that now even Gunston should envy.

Added to that his infectiously fun personality, and his humility coming from knowing that this is likely his last chance, … we have a gem.

And he fits perfectly in with our gut-running brigade. Fun times ahead!
Love Fergus and love this post! I am really keen for him to make it even if nothing more than A few good seasons that’s more than most can say. Anything beyond a bonus for both parties. And hopefully a long post footy career taking over our social media!

Great article, cheers. Love this part “Greene spent four years on the Western Bulldogs list but his five AFL matches to date came inside a month at the tail-end of a forgettable season for the Dogs. He kicked one major in each of those games, showing signs that he could be a competent AFL player”.

The first time he comes back into an afl game his new conditioning and hunger to get back is going to shine. Strikes me as the type that really grows with a coach who believes in him.

Proving a very astute pick up thus far. Good set of hands, great set shot. Reminds me a bit of Willo as a medium leading forward. Should become even more dangerous with Lewis back in team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leads really well and plays taller for his size.

We cleared the space for him a few times and he ended up with metres on his opponent.

Question marks will be whether he can lead through congestion, as he will be playing as our first or second leading target until Lewis comes back.

He's a lock.

Got some pop to his game too.
pop lock GIF

Bumping as he is playing round 1.

I know many of the Box Hill watchers on here wanted us to grab him in the midseason draft last year and even before that.

Huge credit to the guy for putting in the work and not giving up on his dream. Hopefully the start of a long career in the brown and gold.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back