Toast Welcome to Hawthorn, Finn Maginness “absolute Hawthorn nuffie” and a Hawk to 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 2, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
Finn could genuinely be the guy who brings the tagger back into vogue. Considering the increase in votes from Brownlow Medal winners in recent years, it seems a good response to bring it back. Players getting 30+ votes a year just shows that they're being allowed off the chain too often.

Consider the type of match winning performances midfielders have had in the past couple of years too, Ling would have never allowed Shuey, Martin or Petracca to have the type of games they had in flags.
Martin in particular. He hates being tagged and when he has been(and that's rarely over the years) he's been ineffective.

Mar 24, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Some great scalps and getting some recognition on First Crack tonight too

E03F04D5-CDAB-4A2E-8650-7921909A14C6.jpeg

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Will be Short I reckon.

Just look at the list of the comps highest metres gained players 2022 AFL League Metres Gained Per Game Leaders
Finn tends to go to these players.

Short has been useless recently. Midfield isn't his go at all. He's far less damaging with his disposal playing in the guts. He's rushing every kick and turning it over a lot more than he did playing off half back.

Rioli is a possibility.

Prestia is the one for me though. He flies under the radar so much when he's in form. Generally when he's playing well so is Richmond.

Both coaches thought Finn was better than Hollands but of course the rising star panel did not
Normally they use the "Body of Work" excuse but all considered, Hollands' body of work prior to this game was fairly average.

Mar 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So Finn is eligible for the RS nomination?
Wow, didn't realize that.
per Rising Star History - AFL.com.au
To be eligible for the AFL Rising Star Award, each year's nominated players must be under the age of 21 at 1 January and have played no more than 10 AFL games to the start of that season.

Finn's DoB is 23/02/01 and had played 3 games prior to this year.

It puts the jobs he is doing into a different perspective, doesn't it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

matey

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
At the start of the year was on the fringe ………… fast forward to today you would have to say he is a walk up start for the following weeks game. Awesome for our future midfield mix. Now he just needs to maintain his output and hopefully improve/develop in knowing when to flick that switch from on to off from negating to attacking, vice versa

One thing I have liked is his ability to push forward later in games and get a couple scores himself. He hasn't exactly kicked a bunch of goals but I have loved his work to push forward towards the end of games after working over his opponents.
Ward is showing that he can do this too and have shots at goal. Bodes well for a future midfield that can kick goals something we haven't had for a long time. They both have sprayed them most of the time but got to think with experience they will become more reliable in front of goal.

Mar 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
he has found his role as a defensive mid/flanker and is excelling at it with his athletic qualities, his kicking is still an issue, but the value he provides from blanketing opponent play makers is too good to not recognise.
I'd be hesitant to pigeon hole a player into a specific role at 17 games into his AFL career. There's been plenty of players out there who have changed their role in their team several times across their careers.

Last edited:

BIGHAWK23

Club Legend
Nov 7, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Gives me Jack Steele Vibes

Started as a dour tagger, but then developed his offensive game

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Four different kinds of victims now for Finn.

Langdon - outside gut-running midfielder that never stops and loves to use the width of the ground.

Dawson - big bodied HBF/wingman who is an elite kick of the competition and always sets up play.

Kelly - elusive, damaging and class midielder who is always on the move around contests. Eagles players always trying to block for him.

Simpkin - hard working midfielder who can be a big accumulator, the real engine of the midfield.

This shows some great versatility in performing his role. Hopefully he's learning from these players too.

Add to this his fifth victim, and his biggest one yet in Touk Miller.

I posted this a few pages back, but here's the breakdown of his impact on Miller:

- kept him to his equal lowest EVER uncontested possession count (3).

- lowest metres gained total (82m) since R22, 2018. He was averaging 532.55m per game.

- kept him to ZERO Inside 50's, his lowest total since R12, 2020. He was averaging essentially 6 per game

- fourth lowest possession total this season.

Add to this his fifth victim, and his biggest one yet in Touk Miller.

I posted this a few pages back, but here's the breakdown of his impact on Miller:

- kept him to his equal lowest EVER uncontested possession count (3).

- lowest metres gained total (82m) since R22, 2018. He was averaging 532.55m per game.

- kept him to ZERO Inside 50's, his lowest total since R12, 2020. He was averaging essentially 6 per.

- fourth lowest possession total this season.
amazing reading.:thumbsu:

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
wouldn't that be awesome. Hawks 2024 midfield would be like:

Finn = Steele, Duke = Petracca, Ward = Walsh/Oliver and Moore = Adams/Prestia, MacDonald = Cerra.

Reeves and Ramsden = Gawn and Jackson

Boy oh boy :oops::D
You had me till you said Moore with Prestia and Adams. The tough side i get but (not at Prestia level, Adams inside game maybe. Realistically he’s much classier and is a dynamic damaging mid aswell. Those two are more pure contest inside mids.

fairdinks

Senior List
Aug 17, 2009
NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You had me till you said Moore with Prestia and Adams. The tough side i get but (not at Prestia level, Adams inside game maybe. Realistically he’s much classier and is a dynamic damaging mid aswell. Those two are more pure contest inside mids.
I am being optimistic in what may be. No player is exactly the same as any other. I see Prestia/Adams ( i rate both highly) traits in Moore and if he can reach their level consistently, we have a bloody ripper.

Moore is only several games into his midfield career, so obviously has a way to go.

All good signs by a number of our younger players, but lets see them elevate over several seasons. Worpel is a good example of needing to hold your form long term. I do feel Worps will regain his mojo, however.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I am being optimistic in what may be. No player is exactly the same as any other. I see Prestia/Adams ( i rate both highly) traits in Moore and if he can reach their level consistently, we have a bloody ripper.

Moore is only several games into his midfield career, so obviously has a way to go.

All good signs by a number of our younger players, but lets see them elevate over several seasons. Worpel is a good example of needing to hold your form long term. I do feel Worps will regain his mojo, however.
With comparisons, I do traits and what I see the player able to reach if they put their mind to it etc and get the most out of themselves. So comparing say Newcombe to Petracca, isn’t guaranteed he’ll be as good, but there’s a lot of traits and that’s who he should look to work toward (not in a literal sense).

Moore has the ability to have their inside and toughness i feel maybe, but he’s got so much class and skill and is so dynamic aswell.

Absolutely.

Yeah but I feel Worps was confidence, aswell as his body.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back