Toast Welcome to Hawthorn, Finn Maginness

Remove this Banner Ad

Brishawk

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The good thing about tagging is it forces you to think about how to control space around the stoppages. You learn how to restrict where a mid can go so it is predictable to you and your team mates and you make it easier to control the stoppage. Good learning for someone once they have to try and control the space for themselves.

matey

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So Finn is watching average players getting games in a bottom 4 side and he’s not. Looks like a determined type and works extremely hard on the track. It would be disheartening and life is too short especially as an AFL player. Already 20!

If other teams are circling they see something in him ...... we better wake up as don’t want another JK situation. That would be embarrassing.

Last edited:

LMGjr

Premium Platinum
Jul 25, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So Finn is watching average players getting games in a bottom 4 side and he’s not. Looks like a determined type and works extremely hard on the track. It would be disheartening and life is too short especially as an AFL player. Already 20!

If other teams are circling they see something in him ...... we better wake up as don’t want another JK situation. That would be embarrassing.
Getting old.

Not the clubs fault covid happened bud, robbing him of a year, just like every other 19yr old.

I've already said I'd like to see him above Shiels in the side, so I get what you're saying, but it would still be weak of him to ask to be traded at this stage, imo.

TheFourPillars

Brownlow Medallist
May 6, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Finn knows exactly where he is at. He has been told what he has to improve just like everyone else. The JK situation is not the same and far from embarrassing. JK wasn't displacing any of the players he was behind. Mitchell, Lewis, Hodge, Sewell etc. We wanted to keep him but he got a better offer elsewhere and left.

Stratton24

Club Legend
Aug 29, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Finn knows exactly where he is at. He has been told what he has to improve just like everyone else. The JK situation is not the same and far from embarrassing. JK wasn't displacing any of the players he was behind. Mitchell, Lewis, Hodge, Sewell etc. We wanted to keep him but he got a better offer elsewhere and left.
And we turned the trade into a great win win

MrPremiership

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We haven't really lost many players in recent memory......not as many as other clubs really.

Some to go back home interstate, but not many have left for Melbourne clubs for more opportunity, can only think Pittonet but not much more than that recently

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Billyc

Premiership Player
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn

The fact he’s not getting games in the bottom 4 side is not because of some concerted effort to prevent him getting games. He’s not ready. He has excellent physical and athletic attributes. But there are parts of his game that need work and he’s being given opportunities and guidance to work on them. He’s not where I think a lot of people wanted him to be, but that doesn’t mean he won’t get there.

There are others who are performing at a higher level in the 2s who would be more justified in being frustrated by senior team selection

MrPremiership

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The fact he’s not getting games in the bottom 4 side is not because of some concerted effort to prevent him getting games. He’s not ready. He has excellent physical and athletic attributes. But there are parts of his game that need work and he’s being given opportunities and guidance to work on them. He’s not where I think a lot of people wanted him to be, but that doesn’t mean he won’t get there.

There are others who are performing at a higher level in the 2s who would be more justified in being frustrated by senior team selection
if he was a forward he'd be getting a game.

matey

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
And that’s my worry if other clubs are looking at him to get him across they would be offering more opportunity and money. If all we are doing is creating the impression that he is a long term project, a lot of development left and down the pecking order ....... you couldn’t criticise him or his manager to be open minded. He has the size/build/fitness to play AFL today. Don’t buy the lack of awareness of the running patterns and team style argument as there are several players getting regular games that still don’t get it after years of practise. We need his size around the ball big time!

Pessimistic

Make me an Admin!
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
hawks have beefed up the Box Hill coaching panel for development

they have said that but won’t be advertising it a lot because it’s not in line with AFL soft cap cuts. I’m wondering out loud if some of the youngsters are staying at box hill more to get a better development coach ratio, especially after probably minimal coaching last year

Judd2Sewell

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
hawks have beefed up the Box Hill coaching panel for development

they have said that but won’t be advertising it a lot because it’s not in line with AFL soft cap cuts. I’m wondering out loud if some of the youngsters are staying at box hill more to get a better development coach ratio, especially after probably minimal coaching last year
Box Hill had Brooksby playing as a midfielder for essentially the whole entire second half. Yes, you read that right.

Wonder what kind of development that was and who does it benefit?

Remove this Banner Ad