Toast Welcome to Hawthorn, Finn Maginness “absolute Hawthorn nuffie” and a Hawk to 2025

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
One of our greatest ever mids was probably one of the slowest on our list at the time.
But when he played, he had more time than almost anyone.
His decision making, awareness and view of the field made him a great.

Please don't get into semantics about Finn's physical attributes.
He has all he needs to be a very good footballer.

The club his still teaching him the game.
Decision making.
Disposal.
Awareness.
Game play.

His ability to execute those skills will decide his career from here.
I'd say the disposal is his biggest hurdle. He has most of the other assets already.

But if he can't clean up the disposal, well he'll battle.

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'd say the disposal is his biggest hurdle. He has most of the other assets already.

But if he can't clean up the disposal, well he'll battle.
Agreed. Has the physical tools, but his decision making and disposal are not AFL standard.

Can he improve them? Well, this time last year he had issues with getting the footy also, which he has since improved. So he's shown a capacity to develop, which is encouraging. But at the moment he's a player you don't want getting the footy and he will have limited value at AFL level - in any role - until he can use the ball better.

I've heard about Finn's 'burst' improvement...but only on the internet, that Instagram thing about his sprint training over summer

He has demonstrated elite endurance, and decent pace, but, so far at least, I haven't seen a single instance of him bursting away from a pack a la Judd in his prime.

Not at Box Hill, not in the ones...
This is the thing. He's definitely quick, definitely powerful, but he doesn't make the decisions quick enough to get the separation needed to show that burst.

To get those clearances you need to be reading the ball and hitting it at speed before you get possession, unfortunately for Maginness he doesn't seem to get the read on the ball quick enough to do that. That may change, it may not, I have to admit for all his tools I'm far less bullish on him than I was when he was drafted.

fairdinks

Senior List
Aug 17, 2009
NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
One of our greatest ever mids was probably one of the slowest on our list at the time.
But when he played, he had more time than almost anyone.
His decision making, awareness and view of the field made him a great.

Please don't get into semantics about Finn's physical attributes.
He has all he needs to be a very good footballer.

The club his still teaching him the game.
Decision making.
Disposal.
Awareness.
Game play.

His ability to execute those skills will decide his career from here.
you cannot compare Finn to Sam. Sam dominated his first year at BH and won a Liston (IIR). Finn hasn't yet ever been named best on for BH.

BIGHAWK23

Club Legend
Nov 7, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
you cannot compare Finn to Sam. Sam dominated his first year at BH and won a Liston (IIR). Finn hasn't yet ever been named best on for BH.
I think you will find Finn named equal best with Worpel two games ago against North with 35 touches, 7 Marks, 4 Clearances and a Goal

Clearly improving and will be back in the side after the bye

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Also Sam could slow time down and kick and handball across 4 legs and 4 arms, he had no right being as good as he was for his physical attributes, but he just was. His a bad comparison for Finn or basically anyone.

I wasn't.
Some posters were referencing burst of speed and pace etc.
My point was they are not critical factors in determining the success of a footballer.
Also Sam could slow time down and kick and handball across 4 legs and 4 arms, he had no right being as good as he was for his physical attributes, but he just was. His a bad comparison for Finn or basically anyone.
Again, wasn't.
See above.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
1655711281149.png

Word I Agree GIF by INTO ACTION

detox

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I find this call silly, we all know his issues but I can’t think of another player that has had the limitation he has from skills perspective that has made the inroads he has.

His contracted and improving week to week, give him another two years before you right him off. FYI orourke couldn’t stay on the park and by that outcome actually couldn’t play when he did, so that’s a strange comparison.

Reckon he will be at the club for a long time, just not sure if it will be in the 1s, but it’s upto him to work on his skills over pre season
Ill ask you a follow up question.

When has a player seemingly need so much work as a kid, that has then legitimately turned it around to become a very good player?

Jazzfan

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn

When has a player seemingly need so much work as a kid, that has then legitimately turned it around to become a very good player?

Ben Keays.

Closer to home, Conor Nash.

End of the day, the club gave Finn a two year contract extension last year. Clearly Sam and the coaching staff see something they like, and are willing to be patient with it. A virtue not always present in here.

I don't get why so many are wanting to stamp this kids papers, when the club hasn't. I guess some of the same posters can't s**t on Nash anymore so Finn might scratch that itch.

Last edited:

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Probably Sewell but a few from other clubs, generally the one that come from another sport and have to learn the game are the most comparable based on being in the elite athlete category.

His kicking mechanics are awful, but I see them and skills improving rapidly with his work ethic, game is a lot different from when Sewell played and the aerobic beasts are needed now, Finn can be that and have a significant role in the team at not a high cap price.

Any player showing consistent incremental improvement should be given as much time
As they need if still improving.

Pinoy Hawk

All Australian
Aug 21, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Jordan Dawson has been ineffective today thanks to Finn. I wonder who’s the next in his hit list.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Look at Dawson's last three weeks prior to today:

30 touches (inc. 25 kicks), 10 marks, 1 goal, 144 SC points (1st)

29 touches (inc. 23 kicks), 7 marks, 134 SC points (2nd)

32 touches (inc. 22 kicks), 6 marks, 1 goal, 140 SC points (1st)

But today against Finn - 15 touches (inc. 9 kicks), 1 mark, 80 SC points (which can largely be attributed to his 10 tackles)

He's also one of the very best kicks in the competition - in terms of distance, penetration and accuracy. He really is rivalled by Sicily and few else.

He did a superb job on Adelaide's most damaging player. There were no easy outside marks in space, and he not only reduced the sheer number of Dawson's touches, but also reduced the % of kicks per possession dramatically.

Back