Toast Welcome to Hawthorn, Finn Maginness “absolute Hawthorn nuffie” and a Hawk to 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

At NAB League level, it must be remembered.

NAB League level, but also more at school level. The point is that it isn't a stretch to have him play forward to start out at AFL level.

He's a willing tackler, has good pace as well as endurance and repeat efforts. Has qualities that would definitely help him contribute.

Finns dad has backed him into playing in 2020. An the Hawks list of 2020 is no longer the Hawks list of 2012-2016.

As James Worpel proved, if you earn your spot the opportunity is there as the best 22 is still open and far from settled.

Who cares which league the kid comes from, if he has earned his opportunity he will get it. How about you support the boys.

An if your honest with your self everyone learns on the job.
Good luck Finn, if you want to play senior AFL in 2020 you will, the opportunity is there.

Finn could take Puopolo or Hanrahans spot as his fitter, applies pressure, runs, tackles and can kick goals. 2 and 3rd efforts are great. All he has to do is play his role in 2020.

I think it most definitely is a stretch. He’s an 18yr old kid with a lot to learn.
It’s true anything is a stretch at this point as he’s never played at the level. Everything with a grain of salt. However, I think its fait to say that we’ll see most of our mids spending more time forward next year, as we’ll simply have more rotations.

The fact that Worpel, for example, is super handy around goal really raises his value up a notch. I am equally excited that Finn has showed a similar knack as a junior. Although if Bruest reckons he’s ready for the centre circle, then im excited to see what he can do.

IMO we've seen the best of Cousins and Howe, they don't have another level in them.

I'd say Howe certainly hasn't changed too much over the course of his time with us, but Cousins has gotten better every year. If he's topped out, that'll become obvious this year. But if he continues to get just that bit better, he could be a Sewell type that just realizes exactly where his trump is and learns to play it game in game out.
I still like the kid, plays the right way.

Last edited:
I'd say Howe certainly hasn't changed too much over the course of his time with us, but Cousins has gotten better every year. If he's topped out, that'll become obvious this year. But if he continues to get just that bit better, he could be a Sewell type that just learns exactly where his trump is and learns to play it game in game out.
I still like the kid, plays the right way.
I expect Sydney to make another play for him at season's end.

I think it most definitely is a stretch. He’s an 18yr old kid with a lot to learn.

How is it a stretch considering it's exactly how we initially tried Worpel when he had less exposed form forward?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is it a stretch considering it's exactly how we initially tried Worpel when he had less exposed form forward?
Because Worpel is not Finn, and Finn has not yet played a game of Senior football.

To say what he is capable of at AFL level when he has not even gotten through summer training is a stretch.

He might be capable of something, but until he actually plays a game and shows something it’s silly to say that “he is capable of playing forward”.

Finns dad has backed him into playing in 2020. An the Hawks list of 2020 is no longer the Hawks list of 2012-2016.

As James Worpel proved, if you earn your spot the opportunity is there as the best 22 is still open and far from settled.

Who cares which league the kid comes from, if he has earned his opportunity he will get it. How about you support the boys.

An if your honest with your self everyone learns on the job.
Good luck Finn, if you want to play senior AFL in 2020 you will, the opportunity is there.

Finn could take Puopolo or Hanrahans spot as his fitter, applies pressure, runs, tackles and can kick goals. 2 and 3rd efforts are great. All he has to do is play his role in 2020.
Even Worpel didn't play Round 1

Think he won't start the year in best 22.....but will find some games in there during the year.

Even Worpel didn't play Round 1

Think he won't start the year in best 22.....but will find some games in there during the year.
Yep. Handing out debuts willy nilly is what s**t clubs like Carlton do. Players that come into the league with an heir of entitlement is never a good thing. They have to be made to earn it and if that happens with unbelievable performances in the preseason games then good but challenge them to unseat guys that are already in the best 22. I’m sure it won’t be long until he does it but don’t make the mistake and just handing to him.

Last edited:
Yep. Handing out debuts willy nilly is what s**t clubs like Carlton do. Players that come into the league with an air of entitlement is never a good thing. They have to be made to earn it and if that happens with unbelievable performances in the preseason games then good but challenge them to unseat guys that are already in the best 22. I’m sure it won’t be long until he does it but don’t make the mistake and just handing to him.
You are assuming he hasn’t earned his spot over preseason and in the Pre season games. Way to many assumptions you make!

Yep. Handing out debuts willy nilly is what s**t clubs like Carlton do. Players that come into the league with an air of entitlement is never a good thing. They have to be made to earn it and if that happens with unbelievable performances in the preseason games then good but challenge them to unseat guys that are already in the best 22. I’m sure it won’t be long until he does it but don’t make the mistake and just handing to him.

You are assuming he hasn’t earned his spot over preseason and in the Pre season games. Way to many assumptions you make!

FMD... did you not read the part in bold where I said ‘if that happens with unbelievable performances in the preseason games then good’?

I think the only thing that I need to ‘assume’ is that you need to read my whole post properly before making assumptions. I’d love for the kid to show that he’s round 1 ready due to his preseason performances. I just don’t want it handed to him 🤦🏽‍♂️

Last edited:
FMD... did you not read the part in bold where I said ‘if that happens with unbelievable performances in the preseason games then good’?

I think the only thing I need to ‘assume’ as you put it is that you need to read my whole post properly before as you making assumptions. I’d love for the kid to show that he’s round 1 ready due to preseason performances. I just don’t want it handed to him 🤦🏽‍♂️

You compared Hawthorn to Carlton in your opening sentence that’s enough to make any Hawk lose their focus. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Hawthorn never has handed out debuts for the fun of it, unsure why you would even suggest it.

Earned via Pre season form or games is still earned at the end of the day. An the kids ahead of a few based on desire, fitness and skill, credit where credit due. Go Hawks 2020

You compared Hawthorn to Carlton in your opening sentence that’s enough to make any Hawk lose their focus. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Hawthorn never has handed out debuts for the fun of it, unsure why you would even suggest it.

Earned via Pre season form or games is still earned at the end of the day. An the kids ahead of a few based on desire, fitness and skill, credit where credit due. Go Hawks 2020

The reason for the Carlton comparison was a valid point. Sh*t clubs like them that hit the early end of draft every year hand out debuts because it gives their fans hope. Most of those players never earn their spot and and it can create an heir of entitlement. I didn’t see how hard this is to understand. I’m 100% confident Clarko and Co would never let this happen and just as confident that Finn won’t either (not earn it).

Cousins, Howe and maybe even Scully (With Finn's known running ability) will be at risk. it's their spot to hold in the pre-season, but if they don't I think Finn will play early. I think if he impresses and the club sees the opportunity there for him he will play as early as possible and then be "rested" or omitted after 4 or 5 games with something to work on. He can then come back later in the season if he has shown a willingness to improve those things in the two's. It's character building and more the 'Hawthorn way' of late. Think Worpel, Mitch Lewis, McEvoy when he came over, Anderson, Hill, Breust, Gunston had to go back to BH and kick 7 to get a recall from memory. We give them a taste and unless they're setting it alight, they're sent back with areas of improvement. Cyril is the only notable exception to this rule I can think of lately, but that was Cyril.

Cousins, Howe and maybe even Scully (With Finn's known running ability) will be at risk. it's their spot to hold in the pre-season, but if they don't I think Finn will play early. I think if he impresses and the club sees the opportunity there for him he will play as early as possible and then be "rested" or omitted after 4 or 5 games with something to work on. He can then come back later in the season if he has shown a willingness to improve those things in the two's. It's character building and more the 'Hawthorn way' of late. Think Worpel, Mitch Lewis, McEvoy when he came over, Anderson, Hill, Breust, Gunston had to go back to BH and kick 7 to get a recall from memory. We give them a taste and unless they're setting it alight, they're sent back with areas of improvement. Cyril is the only notable exception to this rule I can think of lately, but that was Cyril.
Agree with a lot of what you said but Scully has absolutely nothing to worry about, his selfless running between the arcs this season was so underrated by even our own fans. He would be a lot more dangerous with ball in hand with a full pre season but last year his 2 way running was huge for us and will be going no where any time soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back