Toast Welcome to Hawthorn, Finn Maginness “absolute Hawthorn nuffie” and a Hawk to 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

his disposal has been good when he gets space, last year he played as a wing and half forw and his kicking was actually really good, this year he played more inside mid and under pressure a lot more so his kicks were more to gain ground, i think his kicking under pressure needs some work.

You’d think Sam Mitchell will be working diligently with him like he has Worpel last season. I’d also consider have Tom Mitchell mentor him. Clarko should tell him to mimic his every move.

Related, an exert from the current AFL article, headline: "Hawks hoping latest father-Son bucks the trend."

"Maginness is just the fourth father-son choice in the club's history, behind Steven Greene (2000), Travis Tuck (2005) and current Swan Josh Kennedy (2006), who became a star after leaving.
None of them played more than 42 senior games for the Hawks but there are significantly higher expectations for Maginness."

So, I sent a tweet to Marc McGowan and simply said:
"Re Maginness article 29/11. I think you'll find there have been more than 'four' father-sons play for the club, off the top of my head, Paul Hudson and more recently Will Langford?"

He replies:
"Do you expect me to re-write the article?"

Last edited:
Related, an exert from the current AFL article, headline: "Hawks hoping latest father-Son bucks the trend."

"Maginness is just the fourth father-son choice in the club's history, behind Steven Greene (2000), Travis Tuck (2005) and current Swan Josh Kennedy (2006), who became a star after leaving.
None of them played more than 42 senior games for the Hawks but there are significantly higher expectations for Maginness."

"Re Maginness article 29/11. I think you'll find there have been more than 'four' father-sons play for the club, off the top of my head, Paul Hudson and more recently Will Langford?"

He replies:
Will Langford wasn't a father-son choice though was he?

He was taken under the NSW scholarship scheme.

On moto g(7) using BigFooty.com mobile app

Someone asked before. What picks did he end up costing us and round?
I can't remember the pick numbers off the top of my head with all the academy players, f/s's and passing draft picks impacting the draft order. But this is essentially the summary.
NOTE: I used our draft numbers after the first night of the draft.

First Round: Pick 13 - Day
Third Round: Pick 43 - Traded to pies for a future 3rd (before the Maginness bid)
Third Round: Pick 50 & 53 - Used to match Maginness bid. I remember us also getting a pick in the 70's back which we passed on.
Third Round: Pick 58 (became 57) - Josh Morris
Fourth Round: Pick 64 (became 62) - Traded to Bulldogs for a future 4th
Passed on every pick after.

Hopefully this helps. Edited to include rounds as well. I believe pick 43 was the first pick in the third round. We essentially traded two mid third rounders for a mid second round pick and got a player who was a slider.

Last edited:
Will Langford wasn't a father-son choice though was he?

He was taken under the NSW scholarship scheme.

On moto g(7) using BigFooty.com mobile app

That may be the case but in the context, or more accurately narrative of the article, it's irrelevant of how Langford was drafted and/or where he came from.

McGowan and I have history as his former boss and I are mates, so I often pull him up when produces a BS headline and/or doesn't do some basic research.

The sole reason Hudson and Langford are NOT mentioned in the article is because it simply defies the headline narrative, as both are former premiership players who played 134 (PH) and 72 (WL) games.

As you can see in some of my previous posts I do not like fabricated news and/or misdirection, which sadly is becoming almost the norm with MSM today....

The sole reason Hudson and Langford are NOT mentioned in the article is because it simply defies the headline narrative, as both are former premiership players who played 134 (PH) and 72 (WL) games.

As you can see in some of my previous posts I do not like fabricated news and/or misdirection, which sadly is becoming almost the norm with MSM today....

That is some major league horseshit that he knowingly did that, because he wanted the click bait headline. No-one I've ever worked in media with, would do that sort of thing.

The sad thing is, the journalists who do their job properly, are gobbled up by this crap.

They're out there too. Just bloody hard to find.

That guy is a bonafide bell end though. Seriously, what a tool.

Back on topic, Finn has an incredible ability to rip a ball out of a contest that he has no right to win. I'm gobsmacked by the number of times he did it in those highlights. It's not just because he has a mature body either, he has genuine explosive strength and breakaway speed.

Would be really surprised if he doesn't make it. Looks like he could play as yet another forward almost straight up, but particularly if he has a good preseason and builds his body even more.

If his brother is taller and faster, holy crap, we might have two good FS's on the list in a few years time.

Last edited:
So, fox sports rates our draft haul a B against * who they rated B+!! Wtf? We get 2 highly rated kids with stand out attributes yet * get higher rating for just being there?!! I usually don’t get caught up on crap like this but it did catch my eye. * can do nothing wrong it seems.

So, fox sports rates our draft haul a B against * who they rated B+!! Wtf? We get 2 highly rated kids with stand out attributes yet * get higher rating for just being there?!! I usually don’t get caught up on crap like this but it did catch my eye. * can do nothing wrong it seems.

The incredibly warm consolation though, is that history will only remember that they are * and we have won a bunch of flags with a super team and coach who has a true generational talent.

Or in more simple terms, we breathe rarified air, while they s**t the bed and then bronzed up.

It's OK they can comfort themselves with the utter superstar that is McGrath...

He replies:

Come on mate. I wouldn’t really care too much about any post draft grades anyways. Most clubs won’t know too much about any of their kids for the next 12-24 months. Even if a kid comes out and wins the 2020 Rising Star then there’s always the chance he ends up plateauing like Rhys Palmer or Daniel Rich.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He replies:

Back around 1991 we also had Norm Bussell and Michael Blood's boys on the list; before father son of course. I guess you could include Scott as a successful father son. There was also from memory a captain (or player) of the U19s who played one or two games in the magoos (I am sure I saw him play of the SCG) who's dad was a famous player. Just cant pin point my memory. Granted neither of theses apart from Scott did anything (well at least senior VFL/AFL footy) so Marc may be on the ball

Back around 1991 we also had Norm Bussell and Michael Blood's boys on the list; before father son of course. I guess you could include Scott as a successful father son. There was also from memory a captain (or player) of the U19s who played one or two games in the magoos (I am sure I saw him play of the SCG) who's dad was a famous player. Just cant pin point my memory. Granted neither of theses apart from Scott did anything (well at least senior VFL/AFL footy) so Marc may be on the ball

Of course there have been others but that wouldn't fit McGowan's narrative, which, while presented in a positive light was actually a back-hander to the Hawks father-sons stating they have all been duds, except for Kennedy who we traded to the Swans...

Marc knows that's the reason for my tweet, hence his snotty reply...

Bra, if there's any published article you're going to ignore it's going to be that one.

Bra, if there's any published article you're going to ignore it's going to be that one.
Mate, I honestly do not read or watch this kinda s**t, been overseas for 8 months so I’m already 8 hours behind fresh news by the time I wake up!! Plus I have not much down time to scour for football news etc... it just for some reason caught my attention, the narrative seems * are on a free ride and whatever they do from here on in is to have a ‘ positive ‘ spin no matter how much drugs they pump in their footballers to get advantage over the rest of the comp or they waste a number 1 pick on a back pocket B- type crab. Their first pick was a kid who trained with hawthorn and one hawthorn didn’t try to secure all that much yet these *ers get B+ , all the while we get two highly rated juniors for a B!! Anyway, I’ll continue to not waste my time with s**t gutter journalists opinions but they DO need to be called out whenever we can.

Mate, I honestly do not read or watch this kinda s**t, been overseas for 8 months so I’m already 8 hours behind fresh news by the time I wake up!! Plus I have not much down time to scour for football news etc... it just for some reason caught my attention, the narrative seems * are on a free ride and whatever they do from here on in is to have a ‘ positive ‘ spin no matter how much drugs they pump in their footballers to get advantage over the rest of the comp or they waste a number 1 pick on a back pocket B- type crab. Their first pick was a kid who trained with hawthorn and one hawthorn didn’t try to secure all that much yet these f***ers get B+ , all the while we get two highly rated juniors for a B!! Anyway, I’ll continue to not waste my time with s**t gutter journalists opinions but they DO need to be called out whenever we can.

You know, since I joined Big Footy I pretty much don't read anything in the media. Everything is just one person's opinion; it's a very basic summation of whatever they're filling space for.

I can't remember the pick numbers off the top of my head with all the academy players, f/s's and passing draft picks impacting the draft order. But this is essentially the summary.
NOTE: I used our draft numbers after the first night of the draft.

First Round: Pick 13 - Day
Third Round: Pick 43 - Traded to pies for a future 3rd (before the Maginness bid)
Third Round: Pick 50 & 53 - Used to match Maginness bid. I remember us also getting a pick in the 70's back which we passed on.
Third Round: Pick 58 (became 57) - Josh Morris
Fourth Round: Pick 64 (became 62) - Traded to Bulldogs for a future 4th
Passed on every pick after.

Hopefully this helps. Edited to include rounds as well. I believe pick 43 was the first pick in the third round. We essentially traded two mid third rounders for a mid second round pick and got a player who was a slider.

wow 50 and 53 for McGinnes is a steal. great and helpful post. Thanks.

Come on mate. I wouldn’t really care too much about any post draft grades anyways. Most clubs won’t know too much about any of their kids for the next 12-24 months. Even if a kid comes out and wins the 2020 Rising Star then there’s always the chance he ends up plateauing like Rhys Palmer or Daniel Rich.
Please don’t compare Palmer and rich. Rich is a very good player who was denied All Australian selection this year despite being deserving of the honour. Palmer never got close to that level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back