Toast Welcome to Hawthorn, Finn Maginness “absolute Hawthorn nuffie” and a Hawk to 2025

sohsam

All Australian
Oct 5, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
wow 50 and 53 for McGinnes is a steal. great and helpful post. Thanks.
To pick up two top 15 players with a mid first rounder and third rounder is great, considering Maginess is exactly what we need, a taller midfielder that can play both inside/outside, has endurance / speed, one of the fewer big bodied midfielders than can even play some games next year.

Nov 3, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
That may be the case but in the context, or more accurately narrative of the article, it's irrelevant of how Langford was drafted and/or where he came from.

McGowan and I have history as his former boss and I are mates, so I often pull him up when produces a BS headline and/or doesn't do some basic research.

The sole reason Hudson and Langford are NOT mentioned in the article is because it simply defies the headline narrative, as both are former premiership players who played 134 (PH) and 72 (WL) games.

As you can see in some of my previous posts I do not like fabricated news and/or misdirection, which sadly is becoming almost the norm with MSM today....

The article is about the specific father-son draft picks in the context of picking up Finn by that mechanism. It’s not a complete history of all father-son combos who ever played for the club.

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
The article is about the specific father-son draft picks in the context of picking up Finn by that mechanism. It’s not a complete history of all father-son combos who ever played for the club.

Fair comment, although that is not articulated in the article and at the end of the day despite the 'mechanism' of how a son is drafted you don't suddenly drop off the family tree...!

Certainly looks like he could play from round 1 next year. Seems to be physically ready and from what I've seen in clips he's really good at keeping his arms free when tackled should will go a long way to seeing early AFL games.

No issues if he doesn't though. Worpel didn't and it hasn't stopped him from his meteoric rise.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Certainly looks like he could play from round 1 next year. Seems to be physically ready and from what I've seen in clips he's really good at keeping his arms free when tackled should will go a long way to seeing early AFL games.

No issues if he doesn't though. Worpel didn't and it hasn't stopped him from his meteoric rise.
He's r1 ready.

My mail is that he's got Smith covered for endurance already.

PenAndPaper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
To pick up two top 15 players with a mid first rounder and third rounder is great, considering Maginess is exactly what we need, a taller midfielder that can play both inside/outside, has endurance / speed, one of the fewer big bodied midfielders than can even play some games next year.
We didn't pick up two top 15 players though, we picked up 1 and another top 30 player.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Never been this excited for a draftee in my time watching footy. Tracking him over the past couple years and just watching him grow in to the prospect he is today, the family history at the club and the fact that he really genuinely seems like a good kid with a ton of potential. I am not putting any ceilings on what he can accomplish next season.

On Topic

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He's r1 ready.

My mail is that he's got Smith covered for endurance already.
I think he is quicker but I'm not sure about endurance. If he picks up on the game plan quickly, he might and have an early debut but it isn't often that our new draftees debut so early on in their careers.

Topiary

Premium Platinum
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I am beyond excited! The Maginness Family have had a profound impact on me. Finn's Grandma Pam, Mrs Maginness (RIP so sad you didn't get to see this day) taught me in prep in the 80's. I met Scott at school & after Mrs Maginness' successful brainwashing myself (& half a dozen others) became hawks mad!

For most people perhaps not that remarkable, but my family, both immediate and extended are the least sporting bunch of people going around. Since the late 80's I have been a hawks fanatic and sports nut, both of which give me enormous joy and solace dealing with many tough times.

I am so greatful to have landed in Mrs Maginness' class, I don't know who I would have been without the hawks and sport...

Welcome to the hawks 3M!

this is the stuff that gives you enormous joy. Hope you are ok Wheelie ??

On Topic

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He's got both. Has elite endurance.
I don't doubt for a second that his endurance is elite. I am just a bit skeptical that he already has Smith's measure with endurance. Fortunately, we will find out this preseason though! Golds, Moore, Morrison, Smith, Maginness and Scully are all elite endurance runners so the next time trials will be exciting. I do hope Maginness does come in the top 2 but I suspect he will slot in 3rd-5th place. He is up against people who have been in an AFL system for longer and they will likely be more conditioned.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Mate, I honestly do not read or watch this kinda s**t, been overseas for 8 months so I’m already 8 hours behind fresh news by the time I wake up!! Plus I have not much down time to scour for football news etc... it just for some reason caught my attention, the narrative seems * are on a free ride and whatever they do from here on in is to have a ‘ positive ‘ spin no matter how much drugs they pump in their footballers to get advantage over the rest of the comp or they waste a number 1 pick on a back pocket B- type crab. Their first pick was a kid who trained with hawthorn and one hawthorn didn’t try to secure all that much yet these f***ers get B+ , all the while we get two highly rated juniors for a B!! Anyway, I’ll continue to not waste my time with s**t gutter journalists opinions but they DO need to be called out whenever we can.

Essendon had an ordinary draft haul from my PoV, Harrison Jones and Nick Bryan over hyped by the media, Ned Cahill was a good pickup late, but Lachlan Johnson is no guarantee to make it, compared to Day who is a guarantee quality kid, Maginness another who will play AFL at a good level i would assume and then a roll of the dice on Morris who has 40+ goals kicked in a season and is just turned 18 so has more maturing to go, Morris the only question mark.

On Topic

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Essendon had an ordinary draft haul from my PoV, Harrison Jones and Nick Bryan over hyped by the media, Ned Cahill was a good pickup late, but Lachlan Johnson is no guarantee to make it, compared to Day who is a guarantee quality kid, Maginness another who will play AFL at a good level i would assume and then a roll of the dice on Morris who has 40+ goals kicked in a season and is just turned 18 so has more maturing to go, Morris the only question mark.
I like Harrison Jones in this draft year. It was the right call by Bombers to pick him up

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Related, an exert from the current AFL article, headline: "Hawks hoping latest father-Son bucks the trend."

"Maginness is just the fourth father-son choice in the club's history, behind Steven Greene (2000), Travis Tuck (2005) and current Swan Josh Kennedy (2006), who became a star after leaving.
None of them played more than 42 senior games for the Hawks but there are significantly higher expectations for Maginness."

So, I sent a tweet to Marc McGowan and simply said:
"Re Maginness article 29/11. I think you'll find there have been more than 'four' father-sons play for the club, off the top of my head, Paul Hudson and more recently Will Langford?"

He replies:
"Do you expect me to re-write the article?"
Will was a NSW rookie wasn’t he?

Having said that, Scully would win if they let him do it 🤷‍♂️

I'm not sure. Scully is a fantastic endurance athlete, but running 2km isn't all about endurance. Longer distances he'd be a guarantee though.

Back