Toast Welcome to Hawthorn, Finn Maginness “absolute Hawthorn nuffie” and a Hawk to 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw in an article the hawks told him they would match any bid for him. Must be rated pretty high internally.

Finn actually said today to the media that McKenzie told him if he went too high at a certain point, that Hawthorn would NOT match. But they did say to him on the 2nd night of the draft from that position onwards, they would definitely match ANY BID from there on...

Last edited:
Finn actually said today to the media that McKenzie told him if he went too high at a certain point, that Hawthorn would NOT match. But they did say to him on the 2nd night of the draft from that position onwards, they would definitely match ANY BID from there on...
I think it’s pretty obvious we thought he would go late in the first round based on how we amassed points. I’m sure we were thrilled that he went so late. Allowed us to send some value forward into next years draft.

Saw in an article the hawks told him they would match any bid for him. Must be rated pretty high internally.
On the Thursday yes.

But before that, the club sat him down and told him at what picks a bid would not be matched, then at what point they would have to consider it.

After he went unselected on the Wednesday (21 picks), we then guaranteed him we'd match

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the Thursday yes.

But before that, the club sat him down and told him at what picks a bid would not be matched, then at what point they would have to consider it.

After he went unselected on the Wednesday (21 picks), we then guaranteed him we'd match
It was probably also dependent on who was still available and if we thought they'd still be there at our next pick. But the way we had our picks at 11 and then traded out 42 there was no way a better player than Finn would be there at 53. Doubtful that even if we had 30 still we would have rated any players higher than Finn.

I think it’s pretty obvious we thought he would go late in the first round based on how we amassed points. I’m sure we were thrilled that he went so late. Allowed us to send some value forward into next years draft.
It seems he went so late based on other clubs knowing that Hawthorn would match, removing their interest in bidding.

Then North seemed to only bid to buy time for a trade.

Buddy or Rioli would have to be, with Finn right up there.

I don't think Buddy was. The hype for him came a little later when he started showing 'the freak'. Cyril certainly had it before playing. Hodge also.

I don't think Buddy was. The hype for him came a little later when he started showing 'the freak'. Cyril certainly had it before playing. Hodge also.
Cyril hype went really high in the intraclub matches where he and cam stokes kicked bags. 2007 our main weakness was crumming forwards and we got the GOAT.

Hodge’s came from being the number 1 draft pick. Add where supporters were disappointed in trading out Croad and McPharlin, in order to secure that pick, expectations were high. It was a little bit disappointing that when Hodge first started out he was having groin issues while Judd who went at 3 was tearing it up for West Coast. It really wasn’t until 05/06 that Hodge started to be more positively recognised. Come his tremendous 2008 finals series, Was he truly respected as being deserved of being pick 1. So I think Hodges initial hype came from trading Croad in particular out, as most supporters questioned the decision, and being compared to Judd initially so we could validate the clubs decision at that time.

Hodge was the right pick for us, once Judd lost a bit of speed, he lost his main attribute in breaking away from the pack, and was unable to find other ways to adapt. Hodge was picked for his leadership strengths, his ability to play back, forward or midfield which enabled him to be more versatile. Him and Mitchell were great additions to the club. Give me Hodge and Mitchell over Gary jnr and Judd any day thanks. Hodge and Mitchell added to the team. Gary and Judd just added to themselves.

He had a great combine, while I’m excited to have a father and son, I’m going to lower my expectations of him initially.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back