Toast Welcome to Hawthorn, Finn Maginness “absolute Hawthorn nuffie” and a Hawk to 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Finns pressure acts in his AFL game were up to the level but the rest wasn't. Can't believe people are expecting him to be a best 22 lock next year. I just don't get where the expectation has come from.

He wasn't a prime mover at U18 level. He is a depth mid. We will learn a heap about him next year. Just shaking my head about the expectation.
So no Brownlow next year Rog? 😉

Finns pressure acts in his AFL game were up to the level but the rest wasn't. Can't believe people are expecting him to be a best 22 lock next year. I just don't get where the expectation has come from.

He wasn't a prime mover at U18 level. He is a depth mid. We will learn a heap about him next year. Just shaking my head about the expectation.

The fact he didn’t get a rising star nomination in his first game is very disappointing. Verrrrrryyyy disappointing.

I love how people judge with ZERO insight into how the club wants to manage and develop the young man and his career.
Its classic keyboard warrior stuff and just a form of bullying.

Give it time people.Not every draftee will be Rowell or Day

It's going to be exciting to learn how high his ceiling is. He has limitations that have been pointed out a fair bit now. But what we don't see or know about is the amount of improvement he's capable of after a few years in the AFL system.

He has the drive, you can see it. He also has an otherworldly ability to pull the ball out of a contest at TAC level.

There is no reason why he can't learn to translate that into a similar asset at AFL level once he's battle hardened.

I see comparisons to Kennedy in a few places. But imo he's not Kennedy. He has some pace, and seems a much more explosive athlete, on top of his ball winning ability.

I love how people judge with ZERO insight into how the club wants to manage and develop the young man and his career.
Its classic keyboard warrior stuff and just a form of bullying.

Clearly they were not happy with what he served up, as Jones got a run ahead of him and was cut and could not get into the team even when he had many injuries. Any insight from anyone on what he was or was not doing?

Clearly they were not happy with what he served up, as Jones got a run ahead of him and was cut and could not get into the team even when he had many injuries. Any insight from anyone on what he was or was not doing?

The word from the club all year was that he was developing his running patterns and learning how to play inside our system.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The word from the club all year was that he was developing his running patterns and learning how to play inside our system.
Yeah and to add on to this Jones had 3 years in the system and was obviously playing for a contract. Club wanted to see what he had and gave him a crack.

Jones getting a game ahead of him means nothing.

The fact that Finn debuted in his first season despite no VFL footy is if anything a sign that he is progressing pretty well.

Finn will take major strides next season with a vfl. He got one of if not BOG against Rowell and Noah Anderson last year. Bloke is a jet and has the great attributes and can be that big bodied mid we lack. Pretty Versatile player, can play inside or outside, have an impact up forward.

Excited to see him and our other youngsters actually get games into them next year. VFL footy under Sam is a good second option to AFL footy.

Excited to see him and our other youngsters actually get games into them next year. VFL footy under Sam is a good second option to AFL footy.

Expect a guy like Finn to really develop under Mitchell as Worps has.

The more I think about it the more I think Finn is going to cop the full apprenticeship situation. Currently clearly down the peaking order for spots in the midfield and is going to be better off learning the ropes in the VFL/building through a team that theoretically will be winning more than the AFL team this year. I'm hopeful he gets 3-5 games under his belt this year, but I'd rather hear that he's constantly progressing before he becomes a regular in our mid mix.
Am super curious as to how he went playing in the backline for BHH on the weekend!

The more I think about it the more I think Finn is going to cop the full apprenticeship situation. Currently clearly down the peaking order for spots in the midfield and is going to be better off learning the ropes in the VFL/building through a team that theoretically will be winning more than the AFL team this year. I'm hopeful he gets 3-5 games under his belt this year, but I'd rather hear that he's constantly progressing before he becomes a regular in our mid mix.
Am super curious as to how he went playing in the backline for BHH on the weekend!
Have to take a horses for courses approach and develop players where it is best for them and the team. CJ has to play senior as he won’t improve unless he is under senior football pressure. But no reason why Finn can’t develop his game at vfl level, given the areas he needs to work on.

Clarko pretty much came out and said as an in and under midfielder he's already good to go but the problem is that he's behind Mitchell, JOM, Worpel, Shiels and even Cousins. He then proceeded to say that he needs to become more multi-positional if he wants to debut. I have no problem with him developing at BH this season with maybe a game or 2 later in the year in the last couple of rounds. Sicily was forced to to the good old Hawthorn apprenticeship and he turned out just fine.

Sam Mitchell says:

Finn Maginness

"Finn did a tagging role on Richmond midfielder Riley Collier-Dawkins. He was outstanding in the role. His development as a player to progress his football is to try and shut a player down, then work off him to gain some footy himself. So, we will continue to progress his roles in this area over the coming weeks. But we were really pleased with his diligence and discipline in executing his role."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back