Toast Welcome to Hawthorn, Finn Maginness “absolute Hawthorn nuffie” and a Hawk to 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Other clubs already eyeing him off, as in a Kennedy type scenario.
Come on mate, if he leaves that easily we don't want him.

Seriously, he'd be a pretty weak person to tell the club he wants to go because he can't hack a bit of development.

The good thing about tagging is it forces you to think about how to control space around the stoppages. You learn how to restrict where a mid can go so it is predictable to you and your team mates and you make it easier to control the stoppage. Good learning for someone once they have to try and control the space for themselves.

So Finn is watching average players getting games in a bottom 4 side and he’s not. Looks like a determined type and works extremely hard on the track. It would be disheartening and life is too short especially as an AFL player. Already 20!

If other teams are circling they see something in him ...... we better wake up as don’t want another JK situation. That would be embarrassing.

Last edited:
So Finn is watching average players getting games in a bottom 4 side and he’s not. Looks like a determined type and works extremely hard on the track. It would be disheartening and life is too short especially as an AFL player. Already 20!

If other teams are circling they see something in him ...... we better wake up as don’t want another JK situation. That would be embarrassing.
Getting old.

Not the clubs fault covid happened bud, robbing him of a year, just like every other 19yr old.

I've already said I'd like to see him above Shiels in the side, so I get what you're saying, but it would still be weak of him to ask to be traded at this stage, imo.

Finn knows exactly where he is at. He has been told what he has to improve just like everyone else. The JK situation is not the same and far from embarrassing. JK wasn't displacing any of the players he was behind. Mitchell, Lewis, Hodge, Sewell etc. We wanted to keep him but he got a better offer elsewhere and left.

Finn knows exactly where he is at. He has been told what he has to improve just like everyone else. The JK situation is not the same and far from embarrassing. JK wasn't displacing any of the players he was behind. Mitchell, Lewis, Hodge, Sewell etc. We wanted to keep him but he got a better offer elsewhere and left.
And we turned the trade into a great win win

We haven't really lost many players in recent memory......not as many as other clubs really.

Some to go back home interstate, but not many have left for Melbourne clubs for more opportunity, can only think Pittonet but not much more than that recently

Some real Chicken littles around lately.

He had his first year completely wiped out due to covid and we are still early in this season... He WILL play AFL footy at some stage this year.
Yep he’ll get a run later in the year , I hope it’s 5-6 consecutive games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact he’s not getting games in the bottom 4 side is not because of some concerted effort to prevent him getting games. He’s not ready. He has excellent physical and athletic attributes. But there are parts of his game that need work and he’s being given opportunities and guidance to work on them. He’s not where I think a lot of people wanted him to be, but that doesn’t mean he won’t get there.

There are others who are performing at a higher level in the 2s who would be more justified in being frustrated by senior team selection

The fact he’s not getting games in the bottom 4 side is not because of some concerted effort to prevent him getting games. He’s not ready. He has excellent physical and athletic attributes. But there are parts of his game that need work and he’s being given opportunities and guidance to work on them. He’s not where I think a lot of people wanted him to be, but that doesn’t mean he won’t get there.

There are others who are performing at a higher level in the 2s who would be more justified in being frustrated by senior team selection
if he was a forward he'd be getting a game.

And that’s my worry if other clubs are looking at him to get him across they would be offering more opportunity and money. If all we are doing is creating the impression that he is a long term project, a lot of development left and down the pecking order ....... you couldn’t criticise him or his manager to be open minded. He has the size/build/fitness to play AFL today. Don’t buy the lack of awareness of the running patterns and team style argument as there are several players getting regular games that still don’t get it after years of practise. We need his size around the ball big time!

Swans will be preparing a pick in the 30’s for him and we will be left to ponder what should of been. Personally I don’t think we doing this kid any favours.
What favours do we owe him?

He has to come in and earn a spot. I wonder if the interest on this guy would be as high if he had a different surname

hawks have beefed up the Box Hill coaching panel for development

they have said that but won’t be advertising it a lot because it’s not in line with AFL soft cap cuts. I’m wondering out loud if some of the youngsters are staying at box hill more to get a better development coach ratio, especially after probably minimal coaching last year

It’s not the surname that we are excited about, it’s the athleticism, endurance, size and him developing into a goal kicking mid.
Show some of that at BHH and he'll get his chance.

There aren't many players who go at Pick 30 that roll into a side after 23 matches.

hawks have beefed up the Box Hill coaching panel for development

they have said that but won’t be advertising it a lot because it’s not in line with AFL soft cap cuts. I’m wondering out loud if some of the youngsters are staying at box hill more to get a better development coach ratio, especially after probably minimal coaching last year

Box Hill had Brooksby playing as a midfielder for essentially the whole entire second half. Yes, you read that right.

Wonder what kind of development that was and who does it benefit?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back