Toast Welcome to Hawthorn, Finn Maginness “absolute Hawthorn nuffie” and a Hawk to 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

What favours do we owe him?

He has to come in and earn a spot. I wonder if the interest on this guy would be as high if he had a different surname

Not a favour as in form of a reward,I meant it as don’t think we are allowing him to utilise his strengths and gain confidence. Seems more like we a trying to turn him into something his not.

Not a favour as in form of a reward,I meant it as don’t think we are allowing him to utilise his strengths and gain confidence. Seems more like we a trying to turn him into something his not.

Finn's strength is currently his inside contested work. But who does he displace based on that? We're already struggling to fit Mitchell & Worpel into the same side because they are both 'see ball, get ball' players with little defensive pressure. Cousins can't even crack the side and he's one of the best pure ball winners in the VFL. Finn doesn't really have the pace or the elite skills to set himself apart either.

However, he does have the size and endurance. So they're making him tag so he can develop a defensive side to his game and when he does crack the senior side we won't have the same headaches we're currently having with Worpel. And the signs are very promising - four games in a row he's managed to completely shut down the opponent he's been playing on at VFL level. They're not trying to turn him to a tagger forever, they're trying to make him a well-rounded player.

By playing him as a tagger at BHH for the last 4 weeks? Long bow drawn here. It's an educational thing, even Worpel is doing that. Really not uncommon for young mids at all.

Let's not forget, he has played 1 competitive VFL match in his career. I'm just not seeing the rush or the angst.

He simply hasn't been good enough for long enough to get a spot in the seniors.

Finn's strength is currently his inside contested work. But who does he displace based on that? We're already struggling to fit Mitchell & Worpel into the same side because they are both 'see ball, get ball' players with little defensive pressure. Cousins can't even crack the side and he's one of the best pure ball winners in the VFL. Finn doesn't really have the pace or the elite skills to set himself apart either.

However, he does have the size and endurance. So they're making him tag so he can develop a defensive side to his game and when he does crack the senior side we won't have the same headaches we're currently having with Worpel. And the signs are very promising - four games in a row he's managed to completely shut down the opponent he's been playing on at VFL level. They're not trying to turn him to a tagger forever, they're trying to make him a well-rounded player.
Let him play his natural game in the VFL and gain confidence in his ability. Let him perfect his strengths. And work on his weaknesses for instance disposals. Not going to improve that aspect of his game if he is just going to chase arse all game.

Let him play his natural game in the VFL and gain confidence in his ability. Let him perfect his strengths. And work on his weaknesses for instance disposals. Not going to improve that aspect of his game if he is just going to chase arse all game.
There is no such thing as your natural game. You play to team instructions and team ethos. At least you do at Hawthorn. You play a role and if you do it well enough and better than someone else currently in the team then you get selected

I'd have no probs giving Worps some time at BHH to find form and replace with Finn.

Finn is also a far better runner, which we are also in need of.

I think in time, once he's earned a call-up, Finn could give us similar options that Howe currently provides (not saying he'd be better or worse, just similiar attributes). That is, a big body around the stoppages that could alternate between inside work and wing/half-back/half-forward. That's not something we have a lot of in our starting 22 at the moment, so that can only be a good thing.

And that’s my worry if other clubs are looking at him to get him across they would be offering more opportunity and money. If all we are doing is creating the impression that he is a long term project, a lot of development left and down the pecking order ....... you couldn’t criticise him or his manager to be open minded. He has the size/build/fitness to play AFL today. Don’t buy the lack of awareness of the running patterns and team style argument as there are several players getting regular games that still don’t get it after years of practise. We need his size around the ball big time!
We have arguably the worst midfield depth in the league.

If Finn was seriously stupid enough to think he’d be in line for more opportunity elsewhere, good luck to him.

Finn won’t leave hawthorn even if another club came knocking. He wants to continue on the family name here and has great relationships with everyone at the hawks. He was so ecstatic to land here. He is loving his time here and doesn’t mind the development in the reserves. He knows his time will come, definitely not sulking that he is in the 2s

If Finn was seriously stupid enough to think he’d be in line for more opportunity elsewhere, good luck to him.
Yes we have poor overall midfield depth but are overflowing with one paced inside mids who are all in the leadership group (JOM, Mitchell, shiels, worpel) and will be very hard to displace from the 22 given Clarkos approach to selection (eg cousins can’t get a look in even though worps had been generally poor for ages).

Still think very low chance Finn leaves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think in time, once he's earned a call-up, Finn could give us similar options that Howe currently provides (not saying he'd be better or worse, just similiar attributes). That is, a big body around the stoppages that could alternate between inside work and wing/half-back/half-forward. That's not something we have a lot of in our starting 22 at the moment, so that can only be a good thing.
I hadn't really considered it but I think you're right, it's Howe's spot he's probably got the best chance of nabbing.

Is he quicker than Howe? (I mean, I should jolly well hope so).

I know he's got good endurance.

On moto g(7) using BigFooty.com mobile app

It would have been nice if his development was moving faster than it is, but hopefully sooner or later his time comes and hopefully he's good enough to make the most of it.

Lack of opportunity isn’t only driven by the club ..... unfortunately can be picked up by other clubs. JK must have been seriously stupid as well? Tell you what’s more stupid JK was behind some handy players at the time but imagine sitting behind the likes of Howe in a bottom 4 team! Give the kid a chance.

Lack of opportunity isn’t only driven by the club ..... unfortunately can be picked up by other clubs. JK must have been seriously stupid as well? Tell you what’s more stupid JK was behind some handy players at the time but imagine sitting behind the likes of Howe in a bottom 4 team!
JK was behind 5 or 6 future AFL Hall of Famers.......a bit different to how it is now.....

Lack of opportunity isn’t only driven by the club ..... unfortunately can be picked up by other clubs. JK must have been seriously stupid as well? Tell you what’s more stupid JK was behind some handy players at the time but imagine sitting behind the likes of Howe in a bottom 4 team!
JK didn’t have the opportunity. That’s the point.

He had Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis and Sewell ahead of him.

I think we've been pretty good historically at not losing players we haven't wanted to lose. None of them have gone out to other clubs and had success. I'm thinking of players like Hartung, Hallahan, Lowden

Pitto is one we wanted to keep, that is our recent blunder. Maginness is a long way away from that situation

I think we've been pretty good historically at not losing players we haven't wanted to lose. None of them have gone out to other clubs and had success. I'm thinking of players like Hartung, Hallahan, Lowden

Pitto is one we wanted to keep, that is our recent blunder. Maginness is a long way away from that situation

Pittonet not a blunder. He’s a very average ruckman. I’d rate Cegs much better.

I think they are grooming Finn to be an eventual replacement for Shiels with the hope that he can also compete for the role that Howe is playing now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back