Toast Welcome to Hawthorn, Finn Maginness “absolute Hawthorn nuffie” and a Hawk to 2025

7 days would be if he was fully vaccinated at been in contact with a positive case.

Given he is now positive he’ll be out until his symptoms cease and he tests negative.
If you're a close contact, it's just isolation until the negative test come back

(I know this because these are the instructions I got from work today when I was sent home as a close contact)

Sep 28, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If you're a close contact, it's just isolation until the negative test come back

(I know this because these are the instructions I got from work today when I was sent home as a close contact)
Depends on how close a contact you are. Tier 1 is still 7-14 days depending on vaccination status. However passing contact (tier 2) is only until a negative test.

Finn would have been out for 7 days minimum given it was his housemate that tested positive.

As everyone gets the jab and we open up, wont this start happening a lot?

We'll probably all get it at some stage now but as we have mostly had the jab, the symptoms would be negligible.
Absolutely.

Depends on how close a contact you are. Tier 1 is still 7-14 days depending on vaccination status. However passing contact (tier 2) is only until a negative test.

Finn would have been out for 7 days minimum given it was his housemate that tested positive.
Are there Tier 1 individuals, or just Tier 1 sites?

My contact was not passing at a certain site, I was in close contact, with an individual who definitely has it, and I was told only to isolate until the test comes back. The contact was sitting at the same table, at a pub, for about 3 hours last Friday.

I can't imagine there being another category of contact, somehow 'closer' than the one I had, that would be worth 7-14 days

Sep 28, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn

My contact was not passing at a certain site, I was in close contact, with an individual who definitely has it, and I was told only to isolate until the test comes back.

I can't imagine there being another category of contact, somehow 'closer' than the one I had, that would be worth 7-14 days
Tier 1 is for sites. Their website still has the 7-14 day quarantine periods up if you are deemed a close contact. Unless the change has come in within the last week?

The other thing I can think of is they deemed you at negligible risk from what the person has told the tracers.

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
As everyone gets the jab and we open up, wont this start happening a lot?

We'll probably all get it at some stage now but as we have mostly had the jab, the symptoms would be negligible.
Totally agree.

Considering many epidemiologists think it is likely we will all get covid19 sooner or later what is the big deal about anyone getting it, including AFL footballers?

Considering my Finn is probably already at least partially vaccinated and young and extremely fit what are the chances he will get really sick, very low by my estimation.

Shouldn't even make the news really.

Totally agree.

Considering many epidemiologists think it is likely we will all get covid19 sooner or later what is the big deal about anyone getting it, including AFL footballers?

Considering my Finn is probably already at least partially vaccinated and young and extremely fit what are the chances he will get really sick, very low by my estimation.

It's still a very bloody new virus and the impacts of the vaccine on transmission to others is still not completely known because time was of the essence in getting it out there. This is still an incredibly nasty virus that is very bloody good at being transmittable. The vaccines are still not guaranteed protection - and being that this is a virus that can do a number on your respiratory system it's probably not a great idea to willingly allow it to be passed among your group of highly paid footy players who really can't risk having their lungs be shot.

The chances of catching blood-borne diseases from one player to another is fairly minimal - but the NRL and AFL still whip you off the field as soon as you're bleeding to minimise the risk further.

Totally agree.

I actual think it'll go the other way - that players with minor virus/illnesses will stay away from the club rather than risk infecting others.

A couple of times a year, you hear of the 'flu' or stomach bug going through the club during the week (usually after a bad loss).

I'd expect to see less of this into the future, more so than just accepting that we'll all get it so we should get on with it.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers

My contact was not passing at a certain site, I was in close contact, with an individual who definitely has it, and I was told only to isolate until the test comes back. The contact was sitting at the same table, at a pub, for about 3 hours last Friday.

Your workplace isn't following the DHHS guidelines like they should be, I know as it happened to me the other week, work wanted me to get a negative and return but I had to isolate for a certain period and get a day 13 test before I was released back into society much to the displeasure of my boss.

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GSW
I actual think it'll go the other way - that players with minor virus/illnesses will stay away from the club rather than risk infecting others.

A couple of times a year, you hear of the 'flu' or stomach bug going through the club during the week (usually after a bad loss).

I'd expect to see less of this into the future, more so than just accepting that we'll all get it so we should get on with it.

man if its actual influenza that's running through these clubs i have no idea how they even get out of their beds to go and play in the first place

when i had it a few years back i was pretty much travelling through time and space in delirium

man if its actual influenza that's running through these clubs i have no idea how they even get out of their beds to go and play in the first place

when i had it a few years back i was pretty much travelling through time and space in delirium

I’ve had the flu 3 times in my life and each time it absolutey annhilated me. My wife got swine flu when it hit - scariest thing I’ve ever seen. I picked her up from work one night and she was absolutely fine but said she felt a bit run down. Got home and made her some dinner, when I brought it her no more than 5-10 minutes after we got home and she was sitting under a blanket sweating profusely with her teeth chattering. Craziest fever I’ve ever seen. Thankfully I never caught that one, or if I did it was asymptomatic.

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It's still a very bloody new virus and the impacts of the vaccine on transmission to others is still not completely known because time was of the essence in getting it out there. This is still an incredibly nasty virus that is very bloody good at being transmittable. The vaccines are still not guaranteed protection - and being that this is a virus that can do a number on your respiratory system it's probably not a great idea to willingly allow it to be passed among your group of highly paid footy players who really can't risk having their lungs be shot.

The chances of catching blood-borne diseases from one player to another is fairly minimal - but the NRL and AFL still whip you off the field as soon as you're bleeding to minimise the risk further.
I am not saying he should be at the club whilst he is contagious, but I would say that if he had the flu or a bad cold.

My main point is that Covid 19 is part of the human experience now. It's not going away any time soon (if ever).

But with vaccines and these new anti viral drugs it is not far off being treated as a seasonal influenza variant. That is you will be sick, from a minor sniffle to feeling like s..t warmed up, but very unlikely to need to go to hospital.

And would we be making a big deal if Finn had the flu right now? No he would just be at home recovering, much as he is doing right now.

I am not saying he should be at the club whilst he is contagious, but I would say that if he had the flu or a bad cold.

My main point is that Covid 19 is part of the human experience now. It's not going away any time soon (if ever).

But with vaccines and these new anti viral drugs it is not far off being treated as a seasonal influenza variant. That is you will be sick, from a minor sniffle to feeling like s..t warmed up, but very unlikely to need to go to hospital.

And would we be making a big deal if Finn had the flu right now? No he would just be at home recovering, much as he is doing right now.

You’re right that hopefully it will be like that in time to come - but as it stands it’s still not quite like that and it’s still a bit more serious than a flu even if you’re vaccinated. If I’m not wrong he’s also the first AFL player to test positive so it was always going to make news. You should see how this still dominates US sports headlines - the Aaron Rodgers saga as an example.

Share your optimism that hopefully in November 2022 this won’t be as much of an issue.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Your workplace isn't following the DHHS guidelines like they should be, I know as it happened to me the other week, work wanted me to get a negative and return but I had to isolate for a certain period and get a day 13 test before I was released back into society much to the displeasure of my boss.
If this is going to be the policy going forward then the case counts are still going to be a very important variable ie not just hospitalisation and deaths. I can’t see this as a functional approach to managing Covid in the long run. We will end up with 1,000s of people constantly isolating.

Dec 23, 2008
behind enemy lines
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You’re right that hopefully it will be like that in time to come - but as it stands it’s still not quite like that and it’s still a bit more serious than a flu even if you’re vaccinated. If I’m not wrong he’s also the first AFL player to test positive so it was always going to make news. You should see how this still dominates US sports headlines - the Aaron Rodgers saga as an example.

Share your optimism that hopefully in November 2022 this won’t be as much of an issue.
This is what some people don’t understand. Despite being fully vaccinated one of my students caught Covid. She was bed ridden for over a week. It seems inevitable that players will miss games due to catching Covid.

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is what some people don’t understand. Despite being fully vaccinated one of my students caught Covid. She was bed ridden for over a week. It seems inevitable that players will miss games due to catching Covid.
Much in the way that players miss games now due to the flu, bad cold, gastro, etc.

But my point is they are not going to end up in hospital so why the big deal over a player getting covid and missing a week compared to the other infectious diseases I mentioned?

Especially with these new anti viral drugs, they will really knock covid back down.

Much in the way that players miss games now due to the flu, bad cold, gastro, etc.

But my point is they are not going to end up in hospital so why the big deal over a player getting covid and missing a week compared to the other infectious diseases I mentioned?

Especially with these new anti viral drugs, they will really knock covid back down.

They might end up in hospital though. The vaccines are pretty effective but aren’t a silver bullet. Harm minimisation is still important so the protocols make sense to protect other players.

Dec 23, 2008
behind enemy lines
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Already read the article and it basically backs up my points.

The author was fully vaccinated and compared his experience with a bad case of the flu, at no stage was at any risk of going to hospital and made a full recovery in a month.

This will be a fairly typical experience for breakthrough cases, you might feel like death warmed up but it's not going to kill you and you will most likely make a full recovery pretty quickly.

And this is even without the new anti viral drugs which will lower the risk profile of covid even further.

Of course I don't suggest people actively week to get it but we need to reassess how we treat it going forward as it would seem crazy to me to put a whole team in isolation mid season if all the players are vaccinated.
Thats not a proportionate response to the risk IMOH.

The author was fully vaccinated and compared his experience with a bad case of the flu, at no stage was at any risk of going to hospital and made a full recovery in a month.

This will be a fairly typical experience for breakthrough cases, you might feel like death warmed up but it's not going to kill you and you will most likely make a full recovery pretty quickly.

And this is even without the new anti viral drugs which will lower the risk profile of covid even further.

Of course I don't suggest people actively week to get it but we need to reassess how we treat it going forward as it would seem crazy to me to put a whole team in isolation mid season if all the players are vaccinated.

Problem is the delta strain of covid is more highly infectious than the flu. Even with a group of double vaxxed players - if you are a positive case and sharing close quarters with other players say in a team meeting or similar setting you risk potentially infecting a handful of players. If you knock out 2-3 of your top players with a fairly nasty case that doesn't result in hospitalisation but is as debilitating as a flu, that's a whole bunch of players that won't be back to full fitness for a month or so. Potentially the protocols will be looked at more and more as other players inevitably test positive, and possible the isolation periods get brought down. As it stands though, from a purely selfish Hawthorn supporter perspective, I am pretty okay with not risking the other player's fitness, let alone the broader risks that come with this.

Dec 23, 2008
behind enemy lines
AFL Club
Hawthorn

He also states that it took him a month to fully recover. That’s akin to a hamstring injury. There is also many unknowns concerning long Covid. If you’re unlucky enough to get that, you may be looking at an early end to season.

And it is highly contagious, far more so than the Flu. The Rt value for Covid is 5-8 whereas the flu is around 1.6. They are taking a conservative approach for good reason.

Back