Toast Welcome to Hawthorn, Finn Maginness “absolute Hawthorn nuffie” and a Hawk to 2025

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
If this is going to be the policy going forward then the case counts are still going to be a very important variable ie not just hospitalisation and deaths. I can’t see this as a functional approach to managing Covid in the long run. We will end up with 1,000s of people constantly isolating.

absolutely.

Dec 23, 2008
behind enemy lines
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It’s instructive that a select few who were training with Finn have been told to isolate rather than the whole list. Training is small groups sounds like a risk mitigation strategy that will inform the training program for the foreseeable future.

Braidz

All Australian
Sep 9, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I really hope he has a huge pre season because I have my doubts he will make it now after the draft. Very happy to be proven wrong

Hawker55

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton, Denver Broncos
Same - I really want him to make it, but I feel if it was going to happen for him it would have last year

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Same - I really want him to make it, but I feel if it was going to happen for him it would have last year
To my eye, finn made good progress last year. Was more consistently able to win the ball off half back. Being accountable first and winning ball second isn’t something that comes naturally to him but he was finding a better balance later in the year. Players develop at different rates and the club have shown faith in him with a contract extension. Stick with him.

To my eye, finn made good progress last year. Was more consistently able to win the ball off half back. Being accountable first and winning ball second isn’t something that comes naturally to him but he was finding a better balance later in the year. Players develop at different rates and the club have shown faith in him with a contract extension. Stick with him.
Exactly. And he has two more years to run on his contract, so it's not as "make or break" as some might like to believe.

Oct 3, 2006
Manchester
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
EPL
Year 3 for Finn in 2022, real pressure to start playing senior games or his chances of making it as an AFL footballer seem relatively slim.

Nah - Sam rates him and will give him time to develop. Sam was around as a player when the Kennedy debacle happened - won’t let it happen again. A few clubs were sniffing around this year before he signed-on for another two years, we need to be patient with him

RIOLINWITPUNCHS

Big Footy Member
Sep 30, 2009
Back Of My Kombi
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Have some people forgotten about Covid? Made a mess of the VFL season these past couple of years. Wasn't exactly the best time to be starting an AFL career.

100% right.

There are going to be a lot of players who were drafted in 2019 and 2020 who will probably be delisted, who would otherwise have made it, unfortunately.

aussie80s

All Australian
Jan 12, 2008
The Mountain
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Wolves, Packers, Celtic, Box Hill
Other father/son selections didn't have a great resume after two years - Shane Tuck, Josh Kennedy - and were delisted or traded cheaply only to turn out to be late bloomers. He's a big midfield unit so I hope he has a good run at it.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Have some people forgotten about Covid? Made a mess of the VFL season these past couple of years. Wasn't exactly the best time to be starting an AFL career.

Agree but other players have still managed it and broken in eg Will Day.

Understand it isn't ideal circumstances though.

didnt get much of a go under AC.

the kid can play.
Not sure yet. I mean mitch had him on the half back flank at box hill. So i don't think it has anything to do with whether Clarkson gave him a go

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Did some excellent tagging jobs as per Mitchell's post game comments. Let's see him now play a full season of games. Hopefully he gets a prolonged crack in the middle.

Mrzohs

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Did some excellent tagging jobs as per Mitchell's post game comments. Let's see him now play a full season of games. Hopefully he gets a prolonged crack in the middle.
This will be the year for Finn make or break I feel Mitch is backing in Nash or Finn to play the big bodied role.
Looks to be pretty close to all the boys hopefully Moore and Jiath seasons last year can inspire him fingers crossed.
It took J.k along time to get going similar traits hence loosing him.

Back