Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Fionn O’Hara

It would be awesome if he could pickup the game as quickly as Zac Tuohy did.
He played seniors the next year after being drafted.
That said, even a debut in 2023 would be fanatstic.

Good luck to the lad.

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It would be awesome if he could pickup the game as quickly as Zac Tuohy did.
He played seniors the next year after being drafted.
That said, even a debut in 2023 would be fanatstic.

Good luck to the lad.
His natural vision/awareness is off the charts, that should definitely help him pick up the game, and he will get some extra time in the vfl to because he is so athletic, all would bode well to be a fast learner.

Dec 29, 2008
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I love the way he moves. There's something aesthetically pleasing about someone who can run really efficiently at high speeds. Looks strong and a decent size, composed and agile in traffic. This may sound strange, but it looks like he's already playing AFL in those Gaelic highlights, just with a round ball. Look forward to seeing how he goes under Sam!

He’s definitely got some toe. If he can translate the kicking skills to our ball we’ll have found a prospect.

Do the scouting teams in Ireland take the kids out of the rugby and Gaelic codes and have them trial in some amateur AFL games? Perhaps it’s just a workshop of AFL skills they run them through.
It would make sense to see how they transition into the game, even in a low skill base comp full of overweight ex-pats, but I don’t know if Ireland even has such comps like the US and some south East Asian countries do.

Definitely a mid or wing. Please no FP
An endurance beast that can run all game, has vision to change direction, is evasive, can kick on both feet, can tackle, it's on the wing for mine. If he learns the game like we all hope he can then midfield would be amazing.
I hope he and Nash click together

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
An endurance beast that can run all game, has vision to change direction, is evasive, can kick on both feet, can tackle, it's on the wing for mine. If he learns the game like we all hope he can then midfield would be amazing.
I hope he and Nash click together

You also just described Lachie Bramble. I tell you what, if this kid comes on then inns couple of years time we'll be playing 'catch me if you can' with Bramble, Jiath, Day, Downie and O'Hara rotating between the arcs and rebounding from D50.

I've got hope for Nash to be a role player as that big midfielder for team balance, I don't believe he'll ever be anywhere near an A grader at AFL level though.
Agreed, probs won't have either the production or the class (or both) to be 'A Grade', but I think he can take on the Shiels role of getting mid-20's possessions & crunching some dudes in the meantime.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Agreed, probs won't have either the production or the class (or both) to be 'A Grade', but I think he can take on the Shiels role of getting mid-20's possessions & crunching some dudes in the meantime.

Yeah I dare say we're on the same page, hopefully it pans out that way.

A Langford from Essendon type is how I see Nash if things go well.

Dipper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2000
London,England
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Allies FCC
The most exciting thing with Nash was a few incidents in those late games where he got a handball out to a teammate in severe congestion. If he can make that a regular thing combined with his tackling then that's a win for sure.

I also wonder how he'd go also playing on those big midfield-forward types like Dusty/ Bont etc, in theory he could go with them when they go forward and not be ragdolled/ beaten in a marking contest. The reality might be different but it'd be worth a look IMO.

Sent from my SM-A326B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why isn't he afforded the international rookie too? Nash was.
What do you mean?

There is no "International Rookie" category..just CAT Bs...which can a maximum of one Irish player, plus an NGA, non-standard path player, other international project, etc

The club has been watching Finn for 3 years. Sounds and looks like an exciting selection. He's got the tools and attributes to make it. Let's hope. Am optimistic...
Did they spot Fionn while they were watching this Finn? ;-)

Can someone offer some insights for those of us who don't have a membership?
They have some quotes from a Irish journalist who said he always thought the Rugby background would help Nash and that O’Hara is in a similar mold, albeit with better footskills, more creativity and softer hands.

Back