List Mgmt. Welcome to Hawthorn - Gippsland/Next Gen Academy players

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jiath named as best for Xavier on the weekend, The West for St Kevins is Scott West's son I believe, Bulldogs have been getting good value from their Father Sons!

9238fa6253996fe42580f3d495447c6e.png

5dcf56f221a1f1199de10132f09503f1.png

a1e4d543866558217bb79fbb915ce597.png

Yep he's been killing it every week. Langford not exactly setting the world on fire, super smart so could earn more money being a surgeon if he wants (not that I know thats what hes gonna do but the kid does have decisions to make later this year)

Hayes looks good for a second rounder, hopefully third... from that Youtube vision.

I have an unusual question to ask:

What do people think is the best case scenario to hope for with these academy players in terms of their touted value being first, second of third round? For example, is it best that we hope for their phantom draft rating to track up and up? Say we end up with 2 or 3 likely first rounders? We get better players then right? Or might we miss out on two first rounder prospect because of the cost of the picks? Thus is it better for our drafting strategy if we end up with one prospect ranked first round, and another one or two ranked second round. We get them cheaper? Does anyone have an opinion on what I should be hoping for?
What?? They will be the same players regardless of how highly they are rated. The cheaper we get them the better.

What?? They will be the same players regardless of how highly they are rated. The cheaper we get them the better.

Fair enough because I am not sure if my post made much sense.

I was coming from the perspective of being jealous of GWS and Sydney having these top ten picks like Heeney and Mills and hoping our academy throws up elite talent for us and also, like you say, wanting our academy talent to fly under the radar. I was watching the Hayes vision and thinking please dont play too well so we can pick you cheaply but also please dominate and make our mouths water, both at the same time.

it then was also a question based on my ignorance of how the accademy rules work exactly. I would hate to see us forced to pick between two potential first rounders and not be able to rangle them both, and I wondered if there was a best case formula to where they could fall on draft day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I take it that with the news that we've nominated Jiath for the upcoming draft, and mention that at this stage we aren't after Brereton or Langford does this mean we also will not be pursuing Olango, Hayes or Jok as academy selections?
Jok and Hayes didn't get an invite to either the State or National Draft Combine. Doesn't bode well for either, but doesn't completely rule them out as to get an invite to the State Combine, 2 clubs needs to nominate a player for them to get an invite. 280 players names were nominated, but only 100 got invites.

Olango got an invite to the Rookie Me Combine. Don't know anything about this combine in terms of what it takes to get an invite, but it would have to be 2 or more. The Rookie Me Combine is mostly QLD/NSW Academy players and VFL players (Sam Switkowski :thumbsu:) with a couple of TAC and NT players.

Jok and Hayes didn't get an invite to either the State or National Draft Combine. Doesn't bode well for either, but doesn't completely rule them out as to get an invite to the State Combine, 2 clubs needs to nominate a player for them to get an invite. 280 players names were nominated, but only 100 got invites.

Olango got an invite to the Rookie Me Combine. Don't know anything about this combine in terms of what it takes to get an invite, but it would have to be 2 or more. The Rookie Me Combine is mostly QLD/NSW Academy players and VFL players (Sam Switkowski :thumbsu:) with a couple of TAC and NT players.
There's always a small possibility that we wouldn't name someone as a smokescreen to squirrel someone away but id highly doubt it.

So we have no academy players training with us this off season. (From the AFL website)

This is not good news for Mosquito or any other eligible prospect for next year.

This time last year CJ was training with us and one other fella.

I can only assume the club doesn't rate any of them otherwise surely we would have them train with us.

So we have no academy players training with us this off season. (From the AFL website)

This is not good news for Mosquito or any other eligible prospect for next year.

This time last year CJ was training with us and one other fella.

I can only assume the club doesn't rate any of them otherwise surely we would have them train with us.
That article is only regarding AIS AFL Academy players.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-11/afl-academy-squad-released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back