Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
I’m liking everything I am reading abut Connor Downie and feel he may be flying below the radar a little. He is well established as an outside midfielder with good pace and a lovely left boot - exactly what we need! Last thing I read on him was that he was looking to develop his inside game more pre covid. Looking more likely that we will nab him with our second round pick. Early phantom drafts have us linked to Western Jets midfielder/forward Eddie Ford. If we don't trade away our 1st round pick I would be very very happy to land Ford/Downie then nab Zac Williams via free agency. Happy days

Is Ford really a top 5 pick? From:

Who are the other No. 1 contenders?

Ugle-Hagan, McDonald, Riley Thilthorpe, Will Phillips, Tanner Bruhn and Elijah Hollands are the most widely spoken about prospects.

The question recruiters will be asking is whether they want:

a) the most talented inside-50 threat since Franklin (Ugle-Hagan)
b) a high-motor key forward with a game resembling Nick Riewoldt (McDonald)
c) an athletic 200cm key forward who can relieve through the ruck (Thilthorpe)
d) the most advanced and dominant midfielder in the pool (Phillips)
e) a classy goalkicking midfielder (Bruhn) or
f) the highest impact per possession player in the draft who generates meaningful and effective drive by foot and with his run (Hollands)

Mojo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2007
Beaumaris
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Is Ford really a top 5 pick? From:

Who are the other No. 1 contenders?

Ugle-Hagan, McDonald, Riley Thilthorpe, Will Phillips, Tanner Bruhn and Elijah Hollands are the most widely spoken about prospects.

The question recruiters will be asking is whether they want:

a) the most talented inside-50 threat since Franklin (Ugle-Hagan)
b) a high-motor key forward with a game resembling Nick Riewoldt (McDonald)
c) an athletic 200cm key forward who can relieve through the ruck (Thilthorpe)
d) the most advanced and dominant midfielder in the pool (Phillips)
e) a classy goalkicking midfielder (Bruhn) or
f) the highest impact per possession player in the draft who generates meaningful and effective drive by foot and with his run (Hollands)

Can we just have one of each?

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Interesting comment regarding Clarko in response to this Talkinghawks tweet.

This excites the hell out of me tbh- Clarko taking a liking or an interest in someone's training habits prior to us drafting them says to me that they at least to some degree the club thinks they can have a big impact for us early on, and wants them to be ready for a specific role as soon as they're available (round one debut for Downie+ pick 4 PLEASE)

RIOLINWITPUNCHS

Big Footy Member
Sep 30, 2009
Back Of My Kombi
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Interesting comment regarding Clarko in response to this Talkinghawks tweet.

I liked this bit:

Screenshot_20201003-132835_Samsung Internet.jpg

Do we have anyone to look out for next year or 2022?
Yes. I will have a new thread to post on that once Downie is across the line.

Oct 3, 2006
Manchester
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
EPL
Yes. I will have a new thread to post on that once Downie is across the line.
Very hard to defend against one dual sided player.
Having 1 on each wing is a nightmare for the opposition.

Absolutely critical that we retain Smith for the next two years. Gives Downie time to adapt and develop into the midfield/winger role within that time frame

Billyc just to add, any 2021 or 2022 NGA discussion will just get mown over by Downie talk for the next couple of months.

So I think its best to just let the Downie stuff happen and then I’ll publish the new thread.

Of course we will and the AFL are changing the rules next year so you don't get access to them in the first two rounds.
That’s not decided yet, and clubs have already made it clear to the AFL that they want them to leave it as it is until the current 15yr olds have come through the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back