List Mgmt. Welcome to Hawthorn - Gippsland/Next Gen Academy players

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate how the private schools force kids to play school football when they should be playing at a higher level. So short-sighted.

Is he on a scholarship or something and the school is paying him to play for them....

Cricket is exactly the same. I remember Paul Rofe being forced to play school cricket when he should have been playing first grade district cricket. The next year he made his state debut.

Think he's on a scholarship. Plenty of top end kids don't play TAC cup anymore precisely for this reason. For example last year 25% of the draftees were from APS schools (the large majority on scholarships) and weren't playing TAC footy

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

APS students generally are able to and do play TAC footy when they don't have school footy commitments. It may vary a bit from school to school and be dependent on whether the student is on a sporting scholarship.
This has been happening for many years and judging by the number of kids drafted from APS and AGS schools it does not appear to have an adverse effect on their football careers. Indeed, presumably it offers more kids the opportunity to play TAC when others have school commitments.

This has been happening for many years and judging by the number of kids drafted from APS and AGS schools it does not appear to have an adverse effect on their football careers. Indeed, presumably it offers more kids the opportunity to play TAC when others have school commitments.

When I coached junior cricket teams in the 1970s I was a big supporter of playing boys from public schools to promote maximum participation. The teams who played too many private school boys struggled in the finals and put a lot of pressure on the association to play the finals on Sundays. When I was the association secretary I was able to convince the majority of clubs it was better for cricket to the give more boys the opportunity to play. I was disappointed when Sunday finals were introduced only two years after I was no longer secreatary.

My point, I have heard some talk surrounding an overhaul of the TAC which could even see it scrapped. I understand there has been talk about lifting the participation age to 20 years old. Already some 19 year old players are given special permission to play in the TAC and there has been talk of increasing the AFL drafting age. Nothing would surprise me after the scrapping of the development league without proper consideration of the ramifications. It's farcical that AFL listed and rookie players who are not ready to play VFL senior football, badly out of form or who have had long term injuries are not permitted to play in any other competition. Also VFL listed players have been playing reserves football in suburban leagues because the senior team exceeds the points cap allocated to players.

Last edited:

I hate how the private schools force kids to play school football when they should be playing at a higher level. So short-sighted.

Is he on a scholarship or something and the school is paying him to play for them....

Cricket is exactly the same. I remember Paul Rofe being forced to play school cricket when he should have been playing first grade district cricket. The next year he made his state debut.

Do you seriously think Tom Hawkins or Xavier Ellis would have been at Melbourne Grammar if they were going to opt to play TAC footy instead of for school??? Bit short-sighted to think anything else but school footy > Non-school footy.

Just sayin'...

Cardamone 3rd best again today, in Eastern Ranges second win for the year. Mosquito has not played in the last three games. Any idea why?

Correction, dan lucas was correct. The above was last week's game so no second win for ER and Mosquito has missed two weeks.Tyrone Hayes kicked one goal in the young guns game at North Port Oval yesterday.

Last edited:
Cardamone 3rd best again today, in Eastern ranges second win for the year. Mosquito has not played in the last three games. Any idea why?
Thought the tac had a week off? There is a warm up metro vs allies tomorrow as well as a vic country vs allies.
None our boys are playing although mozzie is part of the country squad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eastern played yesterday.

For the 1st time this year Cardamone wasn't among the best.

Kapahnke also played who is part of our academy but no idea how he went.

Gippy Power playing today. Hayes will be playing but Mosquito is out again.

Game is at Shepley Oval Dandenong at 1:15 for anyone interested.

Hopefully we are hiding Mosquito and he isnt injured.

Eastern played yesterday.

For the 1st time this year Cardamone wasn't among the best.

Kapahnke also played who is part of our academy but no idea how he went.

Gippy Power playing today. Hayes will be playing but Mosquito is out again.

Game is at Shepley Oval Dandenong at 1:15 for anyone interested.

Hopefully we are hiding Mosquito and he isnt injured.

Is Mosquito that 'good' a talent to need to do that?

Haven't seen him play, but from what I have read, it's not like he is rated a high draft choice.

Last year for Gippsland he averaged 10 touches, 2 marks, 2 tackles and just over a goal a game. This year it's 15 touches, 3 marks 4 tackles and nearly 2 goals a game. Good improvement, but not enough I would have thought to be causing a stir with other clubs.

Is Mosquito that 'good' a talent to need to do that?

Haven't seen him play, but from what I have read, it's not like he is rated a high draft choice.

Last year for Gippsland he averaged 10 touches, 2 marks, 2 tackles and just over a goal a game. This year it's 15 touches, 3 marks 4 tackles and nearly 2 goals a game. Good improvement, but not enough I would have thought to be causing a stir with other clubs.
Looks like Cyril/Poppy type numbers though

About time some of our past players started producing good kids.

How did we let Andy Gowers' kid slip through?

He is a prime example as to why the draft age needs to be lifted and there are many others.

Just look at how many mature age recruits get taken in the draft these days.

Didn't show enough for us to take him as a 17 year old again didnt show enough at Carlton and now is flourishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back