List Mgmt. Welcome to Hawthorn - Gippsland/Next Gen Academy players

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

All the talk is, and I've ask Cal Twomey as well, he'll go in the National Draft but probably third round-ish.
Cal had him top 30 at the start of the year, but seems to have drifted since.

The later in the draft the better. It equates to cost, not talent.

I guarantee Moz will be looked back as an absolute steal. He has had an interrupted year and will thrive in a full time footy environment. It had been a massive lifestyle change in the last few years too.
Definitely get a bid in the national draft, hopefully a later bid

I guarantee Moz will be looked back as an absolute steal. He has had an interrupted year and will thrive in a full time footy environment. It had been a massive lifestyle change in the last few years too.
I get the feeling you may be a little bit biased in your opinions.

I agree, he's a good tackler and shows flashes which is the most important thing. As Cyril told Daniel Rioli before the 2017 GF, "Chase, tackle and the rest will come".

Note: couple videos I had didn’t copy well but they weren’t great videos anyhow so I’ve cut them from this post

Just posted this in another thread and thought It’d belong here aswell.
Btw. Can anyone point me to the Irving Mosquito thread

Proper piece on Irving Mosquito
WARNING: Cyril comparisons made!

Hawthorn interview.
http://m.hawthornfc.com.au/video/2018-01-25/cant-wipe-that-smile-away

Some comments:
1)
9 Irving Mosquito

It certainly was not Mosquito’s most prolific or influential outing of the year, but the Hawthorn Next Generation Academy prospect still managed to create the occasional eye catching moment. “Mozzie” looked his most dangerous at the stoppages, weaving through traffic, creating space from nothing and turning onto his left as he does best. He only won nine disposals, but clubs really like him which may lead to Hawthorn matching a bid earlier than they would like.

2)
#9 Irving Mosquito

The Hawthorn Next Generation Academy product was a little quiet throughout the game, but only needs a few touches to have an impact. He showed his typical flashes of brilliance though, handing off to Fraser Phillips for the first goal of the game, flicking out another to Josh Smith before he missed the shot, and taking the ball at speed in the midfield. He spent a good amount of time at the centre bounces, and was close to bursting away for some highlight reel clearances, but couldn’t quite break away.

3)
9 Irving Mosquito

There’s always a bit of buzz about the Power when Mosquito is near the ball, and he once again provided some nice moments. The Hawthorn Next Generation Academy prospect played mostly deep forward under the presence of big-man Noah Gown, and made an ideal start with his long-range set shot goal in the opening term. While he drifted in and out of the game at times, he came right back into it with a courageous contested mark late on, as well as a good bit of foot-candy in the final quarter which led to one of Gown’s five goals.

4)
Exciting ground level forward Irving Mosquito is dangerous every time he is near the ball and has built a reputation for applying heavy forward pressure. Mosquito looms as a possible Paul Puopolo successor and may feature late draft.

Some common themes here with a lack of disposals one of them but he makes good use of them.
I’ll also mention that a couple comments suggested that
1. Other clubs are interested
2. His high ceiling will make sure we pay a “pretty penny for him”.

Note: couple videos I had didn’t copy well but they weren’t great videos anyhow so I’ve cut them from this post

Hawthorn interview.

Some comments:
1)
9 Irving Mosquito

It certainly was not Mosquito’s most prolific or influential outing of the year, but the Hawthorn Next Generation Academy prospect still managed to create the occasional eye catching moment. “Mozzie” looked his most dangerous at the stoppages, weaving through traffic, creating space from nothing and turning onto his left as he does best. He only won nine disposals, but clubs really like him which may lead to Hawthorn matching a bid earlier than they would like.

2)
#9 Irving Mosquito

The Hawthorn Next Generation Academy product was a little quiet throughout the game, but only needs a few touches to have an impact. He showed his typical flashes of brilliance though, handing off to Fraser Phillips for the first goal of the game, flicking out another to Josh Smith before he missed the shot, and taking the ball at speed in the midfield. He spent a good amount of time at the centre bounces, and was close to bursting away for some highlight reel clearances, but couldn’t quite break away.

3)
9 Irving Mosquito

There’s always a bit of buzz about the Power when Mosquito is near the ball, and he once again provided some nice moments. The Hawthorn Next Generation Academy prospect played mostly deep forward under the presence of big-man Noah Gown, and made an ideal start with his long-range set shot goal in the opening term. While he drifted in and out of the game at times, he came right back into it with a courageous contested mark late on, as well as a good bit of foot-candy in the final quarter which led to one of Gown’s five goals.

4)
Exciting ground level forward Irving Mosquito is dangerous every time he is near the ball and has built a reputation for applying heavy forward pressure. Mosquito looms as a possible Paul Puopolo successor and may feature late draft.

Some common themes here with a lack of disposals one of them but he makes good use of them.

I've seen Irving play 4 times this year, i would temper my expectations, he is a young bloke who has X-Factor and potential, he can tackle and do pressure acts, but he is nowhere near Rioli or Puopolo standards, the way he plays is more like Cameron Stokes with a bit of brilliance around goal, 1 of his 2 goals he got in the TAC Cup finals was him tripping over the ball and it somehow went through for a goal, so not highlight worthy, he tends to get around 8-15 poss per game, but he doesnt have that impact with every poss Rioli had, he does have some talent, but probably needs to work harder to keep his spot in a more competitive environment, One game at Northern Knights i saw him play 60% midfield and 40% forward and he ended the day with 14 poss with half his disposals ineffective and he scored 1 goal, i expect him to be drafted either late in the draft or as a rookie, if he is bid on before pick 50, we might think twice about matching it, unless we have given him a guarantee?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've seen Irving play 4 times this year, i would temper my expectations, he is a young bloke who has X-Factor and potential, he can tackle and do pressure acts, but he is nowhere near Rioli or Puopolo standards, the way he plays is more like Cameron Stokes with a bit of brilliance around goal, 1 of his 2 goals he got in the TAC Cup finals was him tripping over the ball and it somehow went through for a goal, so not highlight worthy, he tends to get around 8-15 poss per game, but he doesnt have that impact with every poss Rioli had, he does have some talent, but probably needs to work harder to keep his spot in a more competitive environment, One game at Northern Knights i saw him play 60% midfield and 40% forward and he ended the day with 14 poss with half his disposals ineffective and he scored 1 goal, i expect him to be drafted either late in the draft or as a rookie, if he is bid on before pick 50, we might think twice about matching it, unless we have given him a guarantee?
I highly doubt he’d be before 50. Hopefully not.

Hawthorn interview.

Some comments:
1)
9 Irving Mosquito

2)
#9 Irving Mosquito

3)
9 Irving Mosquito

4)

Excellent and thanks Mitch. Consistent with what I have been told.

I’m still getting my head around academy selections.
Do we have a right match or a discount for mozzie at the draft? If it’s a discount, how many positions would it get discounted by?

It will be a flat 175 point discount, so anything past 53-55 we don't have to match and will be ours with any pick.
So if Mozzie goes before 53, say 43, could we still get him? What does 175 points translate into draft positions?

I think I’ve figured it out. Pick 53 has a value of 233 points. If I add the 175 point discount this would equate to 408 points or draft pick 42. So if mozzie goes before 42 we can’t get him, if after we can match.
Using draft points from: http://m.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/AFL/Files/Points-draft-value.pdf
You can go into debt into next year's picks if you want.
You cannot be outbid for an academy player you just have a choice on whether you pay the price required on the day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back