Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
There's absolutely no evidence of 'bluff' or 'gambling' except in the heads of some posters here. None whatsoever.

Dodoro would lose his job, there are innumerable other people who would know what was supposed to happen, and he would lose his job if he had lost access to a genuine target playing such silly bugger games with a relatively high pick. It's nonsensical to believe this is what happened. I understand stand some people being disappointed in losing Moz, but such fanciful explanations as to why Essendon picked him are nothing more than deluded defence-mechanisms to make ourselves feel better.
your assuming 100% professionalism and no ego is involved

Doesnt he have form I think with the Swans to get them to pay more ?

your assuming 100% professionalism and no ego is involved

?
Dodoro may be a dick, but there would be a bunch of angry recruiters in his team who would be outraged if all their year-long reconassaince, scouting and recruiting work was wasted in one fell swoop, for the tiny, tiny bonus of making another (hated) team pay a little bit more for someone. Heads would roll.

We are either over-estimating Essendon's desire to * over Hawthorn, underestimating their own recruiting needs and competence, or both.

It's just not plausible. I know Essendon's drug scandal has pushed the line 'bad governance', as if incompetence is the major player in their football decisions, but it isn't. They did the drugs scandal in full full knowledge and calculation for the sole reason of self-benefit, and this is exactly the same.

For whatever reason, Essendon rated Mosquito as the best player available at that pick. We didn't, nor did we see him as worth paying a 20% discount on that price. End of story.

EDIT: i reckon I'm about one post away from being threadbanned by Abasi MODERATOR...

2019 prospects from NGA

Marcus Toussaint (2019), Inverloch, Multicultural
Todd Garner (2019), Gruyere, Indigenous
Tot Jok (2019), Pakenham, Multicultural
Charles Power (2019), Heathmont, Multicultural
Sebastian Reyneke (2019), Park Orchards, Multicultural
Harrison Pepper (2019), Morwell, Indigenous

The list of potential father sons is:

Finn Maginess

Then there are the 2018 f/s that didn't get selected, such as Devlin Brereton, Kye Barlow, Tom Graham
Tom Graham still eligible and I believe will be playing TAC cup where we will get a good look at him.

Aug 13, 2006
Thailand
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks.
2019 prospects from NGA

Marcus Toussaint (2019), Inverloch, Multicultural
Todd Garner (2019), Gruyere, Indigenous
Tot Jok (2019), Pakenham, Multicultural
Charles Power (2019), Heathmont, Multicultural
Sebastian Reyneke (2019), Park Orchards, Multicultural
Harrison Pepper (2019), Morwell, Indigenous

The list of potential father sons is:

Finn Magines

Then there are the 2018 f/s that didn't get selected, such as Devlin Brereton, Kye Barlow, Tom Graham

Thank you Mr.P. Interesting names, and hopefully one or two might find their way onto our list.

Can you or someone please remind or update us as to which kids are on our 2019 horizon?

I can’t find anything on the club’s website. Is that Garner chap NGA-qualified? I recall his name being discussed when the brother was drafted.
Todd Garner is eligible this year. Is a jet of a player, in the mould of Bradley Hill. Will get full exposure at TAC cup this year, played mostly school footy last year. Eastern Ranges should field a decent side this season. Definitely one to watch though

Dodoro may be a dick, but there would be a bunch of angry recruiters in his team who would be outraged if all their year-long reconassaince, scouting and recruiting work was wasted in one fell swoop, for the tiny, tiny bonus of making another (hated) team pay a little bit more for someone. Heads would roll.

We are either over-estimating Essendon's desire to **** over Hawthorn, underestimating their own recruiting needs and competence, or both.

It's just not plausible. I know Essendon's drug scandal has pushed the line 'bad governance', as if incompetence is the major player in their football decisions, but it isn't. They did the drugs scandal in full full knowledge and calculation for the sole reason of self-benefit, and this is exactly the same.

For whatever reason, Essendon rated Mosquito as the best player available at that pick. We didn't, nor did we see him as worth paying a 20% discount on that price. End of story.

EDIT: i reckon I'm about one post away from being threadbanned by Abasi MODERATOR...
Spot on. Consider that if his name had been something relatively common like Josh Smith, he didn't have that big, infectious smile and personality, and we didn't have people with personal connections to him posting on this board then he most likely would have largely gone unnoticed on this board and in the media. All those things I listed have nothing to do with his ability to play football and everything to do with people on here becoming attached to the kid before he ever pulled on brown and gold.

And like you say, sometimes an academy player is going to be a more attractive proposition at a certain pick than they are to the club they just so happen to be in the academy of. We saw the exact same thing with us bidding for Walker from GWS.

But I do partially disagree about Essendon having to have rated him as the best available player at their pick. I don't believe that would necessarily have to be true. At that point of the draft they could have rated some other non-academy players as being better (probably not by too much though) but knowing that if they had to wait until their next pick (pick 60) to make their bid on Moz then the corresponding amount of points Hawthorn would have had to match would be far lower (372 vs 117, or pick 43 vs pick 62) and that we'd be much more willing to match.

They might have come to the conclusion that if Hawthorn rated Moz around as much as they did then their only real chance of getting him would come with the early bid. But of course they'd have to be comfortable that he was worth passing up on those other players they might consider better in other positions, or at least willing to accept the risk that those other players may not last until their next pick at 60. And if Noah Gown was one of those players then their risk entirely paid off.

It's effectively what we did to get both Buddy and Roughy in the 2004 draft. We supposedly rated Buddy as the better player, but knew Richmond were definitely going to take Rough with their second pick and liable to pass on Buddy due to perceived professionalism/behaviour issues. So we went ahead and took Roughy first at pick 2, and hoped Buddy would still be available at pick 5, which of course he was. Had we taken Buddy at pick 2 we'd likely have ended up with Richard Tambling at pick 5! :poo: A calculated risk that paid off very well!

Dodoro's over the top celebration should have alerted blind Freddy there was more to it than simply drafting Mozzie. He was shoving it up the Hawthorn recruiters an opinion which was expressed to me by a recruiting manager and football manager from two AFL clubs. I'm not obsessed so I'll pass on the need to get in the last word if it's not "End of story."

Marcus Toussant looked like a very good prospect when he trained with us. He has clean hands and at 198 cms was good below his knees. Tom Graham opted not to nominate for the 2018 draft hoping to establish himself for a FS selection in 2019. Todd Garner is an exciting prospect.

Dodoro's over the top celebration should have alerted blind Freddy there was more to it than simply drafting Mozzie. He was shoving it up the Hawthorn recruiters an opinion which was expressed to me by a recruiting manager and football manager from two AFL clubs. I'm not obsessed so I'll pass on the need to get in the last word if it's not "End of story."

Marcus Toussant looked like a very good prospect when he trained with us. He has clean hands and at 198 cms was good below his knees. Tom Graham opted not to nominate for the 2018 draft hoping to establish himself for a FS selection in 2019. Todd Garner is an exciting prospect.
I like that Tom is doing this, with no development league its his best chance really.

Oct 16, 2003
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Seen a little of both Tom Graham and Dev Brereton and both are very raw/ a long way off AFL level.

Tom obviously the younger of the 2 and newer to the game due to a focus on b'ball (so potentially more upside) but still so far off I can't see either being realistic prospects.

Best of luck to them both regardless.

Hawks1994

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 22, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, Arizona Cardinals
Both the Garner brothers went to the same high-school as myself, in the outer reaches of the eastern suburbs, (albeit a few years behind me)

Were being spoken about as future AFL prospects even way back then; so very interested to see how Todd fairs playing TAC football this year

I know this is not the appropriate Thread, but there is some very quiet confidence about Finn MacGiness, son of Scott. Eligible this year. In my view he will be a bolter based on what I saw of him two years ago, but we have been quite heavily involved with his development.
Think he’ll be training with the club from the 21st of Jan for a few weeks Tops

COKEandCOLA

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Both the Garner brothers went to the same high-school as myself, in the outer reaches of the eastern suburbs, (albeit a few years behind me)

Were being spoken about as future AFL prospects even way back then; so very interested to see how Todd fairs playing TAC football this year

Would be all for drafting the kid, as well as trading for Joel Garner, was a shame that we didn't draft him back in 2017, however with Worpel still being available at our first pick, it was a no brainer.

I was shattered that we were unable to pick him up as an academy selection, but missing out on him enabled us to draft Moore with our second selection.

He should come fairly cheap, unless Port play hardball again, but given he was drafted at pick 60 and hasn't made his debut yet, I can't see why they would.

Will also be out of contract end of season

TallyHawk

Premiership Player
Jun 12, 2010
Bunbartha
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester City FC
Would be all for drafting the kid, as well as trading for Joel Garner, was a shame that we didn't draft him back in 2017, however with Worpel still being available at our first pick, it was a no brainer.

I was shattered that we were unable to pick him up as an academy selection, but missing out on him enabled us to draft Moore with our second selection.

He should come fairly cheap, unless Port play hardball again, but given he was drafted at pick 60 and hasn't made his debut yet, I can't see why they would.

Will also be out of contract end of season

I don't think Joel was available through the academy, it only came into effect last year.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

COKEandCOLA

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don't think Joel was available through the academy, it only came into effect last year.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Correct, that's why I was shattered.

I think it'd be great to see if we can trade for him, at the end of the season.

I'm sure that his teammate in Dylan Moore, would be a fan of the idea.

Both of the Garner boys running around in the brown and gold, sounds more than appealing if you ask me.

From what I've heard they're both kids with alot of potential and strong leadership traits.

Let's hope that we make it happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back