List Mgmt. Welcome to Hawthorn - Gippsland/Next Gen Academy players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Conor Downie (2020), Pepper and Garner all had solid games on the weekend. We'll get a good look at both Downie and Garner in the NAB League Grand Final, which is often where draft chances can be made or broken.
Are any of them available this year? I know Downie and one other is next?

Hopefully there's a bit of friendly competition amongst the HFC academy lads.

Tomohawks

All Australian
Aug 30, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Storm & West Ham United
The way Pepper has been going in the past few weeks we might need to go into points deficit at next years draft after matching an earlier than expected bid. We wouldn't have expected this a month ago and seeing we'll be using the two picks to bid on Finn after keeping our first we may not have enough to match. If we could put some more polish on him he could become a great player in the future and give us a nice draft hall of a big defender with our first, a potentially high class mid in Finn followed by a flanker/winger with great upside.

#20 Connor Downie

The Hawthorn NGA prospect for the 2020 draft continued his fine form in this years finals series with another stellar game on the wing, showcasing his ability to get around the ground and cause havoc with his silky left boot and marking ability across the ground. Downie would show his class with a long goal on the run from 50m in the second quarter after receiving a handball from a teammate, and Downie glides across the ground well and looks to have great athleticism to go with his skill. Downie finished the game with 18 disposals, six inside 50s and a goal.

#37 Harrison Pepper

Another outstanding final by the thick set defender, who has come to life and given recruiters (particularly Hawthorn) a bit to ponder over the coming months. He got Gippsland on the board in the first term with a long running goal that lifted spirits after Eastern kicked the first two. He had long metres gained, highlighted taking an intercept mark in defensive 50 and playing on to run through the corridor and get the ball forward fast. His body positioning was excellent to win the ball or protect a teammate. He had genuine claims to be Gippsland’s best and carried the flag on a day when his side had minimal winners.

Both Downie and Garner in the U18 GF 1pm today. Garner looks like he has been given run with roles so may find himself on Ando or Rowell. Good chance to have a close look at him to see if he is up to the grade for selection this year.

Downie not eligible until 2020 but from the glimpses I have seen looks a player without doubt.

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Pepper used to be a forward but Gippsland moved him down back and since then his performance improved. His first final was the best game he played for the club and then he backed it up in the second final.

Downie just looks like a Hawthorn player. Left footer, footy smarts, controls the pace of the game with his disposals, not unlike Birchall.

Friendly reminder this thread is about our academy players. Not other players you like the look of.

Last edited:

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Downie looked solid and looked to be one of the best for the ER. Garner seemed to keep Anderson mostly out of the game which was awesome to see!

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I haven’t seen much of the NAB comp
But from what I saw today if Downie is a top 5 prospect for next years draft it’s a weak draft.
I'm pretty sure the club doesn't rate next years draft super highly- hence the notion of buying into this one more. I think Downie did well with what he had to work with; overall average delivery, sloppy patterns and a flat team.

mustang

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Leeds United
Pepper used to be a forward but Gippsland moved him down back and since then his performance improved. His first final was the best game he played for the club and then he backed it up in the second final.

Downie just looks like a Hawthorn player. Left footer, footy smarts, controls the pace of the game with his disposals, not unlike Birchall.

What player in the AFL does he play like

You sure you are not an autobot.
Whenever the conversation veers off track....you are there. Surely you can’t be online 24/7 😆
I am omnipotent.

Burtman

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I haven’t seen much of the NAB comp
But from what I saw today if Downie is a top 5 prospect for next years draft it’s a weak draft.
I don’t think that was really gospel, but he’s a chance of being a 1st rounder, there was 3/4 bottom Agers from oakleigh that will go higher than him and that’s just today’s game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back