List Mgmt. Welcome to Hawthorn - Gippsland/Next Gen Academy players

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not meaning to impose, just wanted to throw 2 bobs worth in. My young bloke was a part of the NGA this year as a 12 year old, as a card carrying Hawthorn hater I couldn’t have been more impressed with everything. No idea on how other clubs run theirs, but as a young guy with a loooong way to go I can’t speak highly enough.
Also on Harold Hood, he’s from my local club and is a potential gun. Younger brother of Darren Allen (was on the recruit a couple of years ago), I think he still has 2020 in the u-18s. Made his senior debut at 14, missed most of this season with a knee injury, didn’t play any power games. Had a couple of games there in 2018 late in the season and was in the best each outing. Plays on ball locally, smooth mover with great evasion, highly skilled and good goal kicker. Fantastic kid to boot, hasn’t got enough runs on the board yet but has all the tools.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
No imposition at all, this sort of information is pure gold. It would be amazing if the AFL/clubs provided more information on the NGA including a list of who’s eligible two to three years in advance, it allows us to track these guys as they come through.

Connor Downie has had a decent first half in the Futures match on this morning, without looking at the stats he’d have over 10 to half time. He seems like a clean user of the ball by hand and especially by foot. He can really motor when he gets in space too.

He looks more outside than inside at the moment, but reading Cal Twomey’s article, that may be because of the role/s he’s been asked to play in 2019. It’ll be interesting to see how his game evolves throughout the season in 2020 as he plays a more inside role.

Connor Downie has had a decent first half in the Futures match on this morning, without looking at the stats he’d have over 10 to half time. He seems like a clean user of the ball by hand and especially by foot. He can really motor when he gets in space too.

He looks more outside than inside at the moment, but reading Cal Twomey’s article, that may be because of the role/s he’s been asked to play in 2019. It’ll be interesting to see how his game evolves throughout the season in 2020 as he plays a more inside role.
Was impressed with his zip and link up work with hands. Had a couple of chances to mark in the forward line but got out muscled by his opponent. Is a fairly big body so hopefully we get to see how he goes as an inside mid at eastern next year

This is an updated list of our NGA eligible players for this year.

Half of these names I have never not even seen mentioned on here.

View attachment 753890
That's not for this year. Only Garner & Pepper are eligible. Reyneke is on an elite athletics pathway, Toussaint didn't play at all for Gippsland and Cardamone is playing senior footy with Croydon in the EFL 1st division. Not sure about others.

On SM-A530F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The U/17 ALL Stars Game is now on Youtube, if you want to take a look at Downie.

YouTube: U17S GF CURTAIN RAISER TEAM BROWN V TEAM DAL SANTO 2019

Connor Downie number 16 in Black for TB
Played mostly as an outside mid picking up 19 Disposals at close to 100% efficiency.
4 x 22minute Qtrs (no T.O.) with 6 on the bench, I.e. reduced game time for all players.

Most of his Involvements in the play can be found at the following times:
1st Qtr: Started on the near side wing
10:10 : nice run with link up hanballs

2nd Qtr: started in the centre
38:00 : at the centre bounce... does not touch the ball.
40:00 : at the centre bounce... does not touch the ball.
42:30 : link up play
43:00 : handball give
45:55 : contested marking attempt, spoiled by teammate, then burned by same teammate.
47:25 : contested marking attempt... Didn’t commit.
50:00 : contested handball
51:00 : handball receive and kick on left.
52:40 : link up mark and kick on left.

3rd Qtr: starting on a wing
1:09:50: handball receive and kick on left.
1:11:50 : loose ball intercept and quick handball
1:25:05 : handball receive and kick on right foot.
1:27:50 : handball receive and left foot kick

4th Qtr: playing in the backline.
1:38:35 : nice overhead handball
1:40:30 : Connors stats put on the screen
1:44:00 : handball receive and give
1:46:10 : Missed tackle
1:48:40 : handball receive and left foot kick inside 50
1:50:20 : quick kick out after a point
1:53:40 : intercept mark and shortpass

Last edited:
YouTube: U17S GF CURTAIN RAISER TEAM BROWN V TEAM DAL SANTO 2019

Connor Downie number 16 in Black for TB
Played mostly as an outside mid picking up 19 Disposals at close to 100% efficiency.
4 x 22minute Qtrs (no T.O.) with 6 on the bench, I.e. reduced game time for all players.

Most of his Involvements in the play can be found at the following times:
1st Qtr: Started on the near side wing
10:10 : nice run with link up hanballs

2nd Qtr: started in the centre
38:00 : at the centre bounce... does not touch the ball.
40:00 : at the centre bounce... does not touch the ball.
42:30 : link up play
43:00 : handball give
45:55 : contested marking attempt, spoiled by teammate, then burned by same teammate.
47:25 : contested marking attempt... Didn’t commit.
50:00 : contested handball
51:00 : handball receive and kick on left.
52:40 : link up mark and kick on left.

3rd Qtr: starting on a wing
1:09:50: handball receive and kick on left.
1:11:50 : loose ball intercept and quick handball
1:25:05 : handball receive and kick on right foot.
1:27:50 : handball receive and left foot kick

4th Qtr: playing in the backline.
1:38:35 : nice overhead handball
1:40:30 : Connors stats put on the screen
1:44:00 : handball receive and give
1:46:10 : Missed tackle
1:48:40 : handball receive and left foot kick inside 50
1:50:20 : quick kick out after a point
1:53:40 : intercept mark and shortpass

He showed a bit Darren Pritchard about him.

I went to the NAB Finals and the GFCR and was impressed by Connor's on field leadership and footy smarts. He showed an ability to run and carry the ball breaking the lines and his ball use and decision making were very good. If Connor works hard on improving his fitness in the off season his work rate will increase and he will likely be a first round draft pick in 2020.

The thing that stuck out to me was that the kid can really kick the footy. He's a 60-70m player in terms of his run and carry and ability to deliver long. He looks like he has a lot of the tools that recruiters at the Hawks look for.

The thing that stuck out to me was that the kid can really kick the footy. He's a 60-70m player in terms of his run and carry and ability to deliver long. He looks like he has a lot of the tools that recruiters at the Hawks look for.

Sounds like he could be Smith’s replacement in a few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like he could be Smith’s replacement in a few years.
Possibly. Not many people have Smith's tank though. Downie, from what I've seen, has the body shape/size to be able to play a bit more inside but hasn't had the opportunity as yet (and the times he has done, he hasn't looked comfortable with the real in and under stuff). Hopefully with another years development and exposure, that part of his game comes on a bit and he becomes one of those highly coveted inside/outside hybrid types.

Possibly. Not many people have Smith's tank though. Downie, from what I've seen, has the body shape/size to be able to play a bit more inside but hasn't had the opportunity as yet (and the times he has done, he hasn't looked comfortable with the real in and under stuff). Hopefully with another years development and exposure, that part of his game comes on a bit and he becomes one of those highly coveted inside/outside hybrid types.

If he does we could have two with Maginness showing that he has a tank also.

Didn’t Todd Garner show a little bit towards the end of the season. Might also be worth a rookie spot
Possibly, but really only played a run with/negating type role. I'm not sure if you take a player like that, even in the rookie draft. I hope we do but I think he'd more chance being picked up by Box Hill.

Free hit as a Cat B though (assuming CJ & Pepper take the other spots and no secret Irishmen are revealed...)?

Secret Irishmen are always a possibility as we run separate Irish talent identification systems to the other clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back