Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Harry Morrison.

Remove this Banner Ad

Harry is a player getting a lot of positive feedback in training reports but there is some lingering doubt about how high his ceiling is so some don’t have him in their best 22.

Last year saw Harry play some very good football in the first half of the year before suffering an injury which restricted him to 14 games.

I wondered how well his season stacked up against other players taken late in the draft and playing a similar role. It was tough to find a comparison player that fit the bill ut I settled on Taylor Duryea.

Both play off the half back flank and neither have incredible athletic traits. Both good users of the ball, good decision makers and have clean hands off the deck. Both taken late in the draft and developed under Clarko. I realise Harry plays a lot on the wing but generally plays quite deep and I felt duryea was good at getting forward so their roles are about as good as I could find as a comparison.

Here is Morrison’s 2021 stats v duryea’s 2014 stats. This is at the same age and the year in which both players ‘broke out’ to some degree.

At the same age, Morrison has played 57 games v 41 games. Duryea had some great moments in 2014 but was sub come grand final day. I think Duryea wasn’t good because he was in a good team but he got to show he was good because he was in a good team. I feel Morrison will be similar in that, while he will improve regardless, he will show more of his best as the team rises up the ladder. At 23 he should be ready to become a lock 22. No guarantees in football but this kid works hard at his game and I hope he is rewarded for that with selection in the team.

1645083181413.png

He needs to add a little size and a bit more aggression for mine. Hilly could get away without having these as he could not be caught with the ball in space. Harry doesn't quite have that speed / endurance. He's a smart player and I do like that he seems to have significantly improved his opposite side. Hope he has an injury free year and we get to see how he goes against the form of Bramble, Howe, Phillips, etc.

Harry is a player getting a lot of positive feedback in training reports but there is some lingering doubt about how high his ceiling is so some don’t have him in their best 22.

Last year saw Harry play some very good football in the first half of the year before suffering an injury which restricted him to 14 games.

I wondered how well his season stacked up against other players taken late in the draft and playing a similar role. It was tough to find a comparison player that fit the bill ut I settled on Taylor Duryea.

Both play off the half back flank and neither have incredible athletic traits. Both good users of the ball, good decision makers and have clean hands off the deck. Both taken late in the draft and developed under Clarko. I realise Harry plays a lot on the wing but generally plays quite deep and I felt duryea was good at getting forward so their roles are about as good as I could find as a comparison.

Here is Morrison’s 2021 stats v duryea’s 2014 stats. This is at the same age and the year in which both players ‘broke out’ to some degree.

At the same age, Morrison has played 57 games v 41 games. Duryea had some great moments in 2014 but was sub come grand final day. I think Duryea wasn’t good because he was in a good team but he got to show he was good because he was in a good team. I feel Morrison will be similar in that, while he will improve regardless, he will show more of his best as the team rises up the ladder. At 23 he should be ready to become a lock 22. No guarantees in football but this kid works hard at his game and I hope he is rewarded for that with selection in the team.

View attachment 1329425

Personally I don't see any comparison between Duryea and Morrison.

Duryea was a back pocket / defender that was tough, athletic, hard tackler, fairly quick and was ferocious to a fault. Morrison just does not have any of those traits. He's a classier outside player that lacks leg speed, but makes up for it in quick thinking and nice tidy skills.

I feel that good teams are generally going to always find a spot for players like Duryea, because every team needs tough, selfless shutdown defenders. That role is seemingly universal.

View attachment 1329425
I like the work but I do not see the relevance between the two players other than that they were / are, or will always be, on the fringe of the best 18.

Aside: for about a year Duryea was awesome. He was a great defender and had accurate disposal. Before that year his disposal was questionable and after that year (not sure which) it was not good enough. I think he hit his ceiling and Beverage (as our backline coach) knew it. He took Duryea to the dogs with a better pay packet but more importantly, no expectations for Duryea to do anything other than his role. Great player management from Beverage.

A Win for the the Dogs... And we got … the obligatory 4th round selection… but more importantly a list spot for our next cup. Our selection = Walker, did not work out for us. But the list spot is now taken and we like our list. So winners all round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harry Morrison be like..

hip hop dancing GIF

Big footy reaction be like…
Ice Cream Dog GIF by Extreme Improv

Will be interesting to see what happens on the wings once Bramble, Shiels, Morrison, Phillips, Howe etc are all fit and firing...
Bramble is the only one not available from that list so I guess we see if Bramble comes in at the expense of either Finn or will he be sub in place of Phillips?

He has been good since the praccy matches.

I hope supporters don't jump on him to get omitted as soon as he makes 1 mistake
That would still be progress given some seem prepared to jump on him to get omitted without him making any mistakes.

That would still be progress given some seem prepared to jump on him to get omitted without him making any mistakes.
I can just feel it coming.

Posters were still referencing Howe's poor error vs Geelong last season as a reason he shouldn't play.

Morrison is playing his role, and doing it well. Maybe he just needs a fancy haircut or something to be a fan favourite.

It's the first time I have looked at Harry and thought I can see him being a very handy player in a good side. Quick feet now an asset and kicking is solid. He's still got a way to go but has improved to the point where he is now reliable and consistent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back