Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Harry Morrison.

Remove this Banner Ad

If moving the ball into the corridor is a big part of how we move the ball forward, I can't think of too many players who I would like the ball in the hands of ahead of Harry. Perhaps Sicily. Harry is pretty quick to make his first decision and it's usually the right one.
His kicks over 30m are quite punchy and don't hang in the air for too long compared to a JOM, Mitchell in particular.

Certainly stepped up his performances this season has Harry

He might be to me this year what Dyl Moore was to me last year.

Keeps putting in quite good games and there's a part of me that thinks his limitations will catch up to him and he'll be back on the fringes soon, probably off the list in a couple years.

But with Dylan, eventually the drop off never happened and I looked back and saw a guy who was putting in consistently great performances and now looks like an elite half forward. Seems silly that I let his speed and height get in the way of what he was actually producing.

Maybe I have to reflect on that with Harry now. No matter what I think of his physical limitations or past years, he hasn't missed a beat and put together three solid-to-very-good games this year.

Why judge him for anything other than what he's actually doing out there? Which has been much improved and a very good standard for a halfback/wing.

He has improved in a number of ways despite his lack of speed.

Punchy kicks like someone mentioned. Good penetration and reach the target quickly.

He is now genuinely dual sided. He is happy to go left or right which gives him more options than say a Worpel.

He is the best candy seller at the club. Great ball fakes and shifty movement get him out of trouble.

He is a natural finisher. Some of his snap work this year and last is elite! Doesn't miss.

Won't get dropped in this form. 22 games +finals for me.

I'm going to keep banging on about this but I'm not removing Harry no matter who comes back in, has not put a foot wrong.

The thing I always liked about Harry from his first game was that he does the unheralded stuff that can make a big difference on game day. He backs up his efforts, he almost always makes the right choice with ball in hand, he'll lay blocks for team mates, shepherd and he really throws himself into smothers. One of the things that we always had in our 2013-2015 premierships were a bunch of players that would do this sort of play, Shaun Burgoyne even holds the record for the most smothers in an AFL season.

One great aspect of harry is that he is versatile. Genuinely plays hbf and wing equally well.

And that goal…
music video wtf GIF

He has improved in a number of ways despite his lack of speed.

Punchy kicks like someone mentioned. Good penetration and reach the target quickly.

He is now genuinely dual sided. He is happy to go left or right which gives him more options than say a Worpel.

He is the best candy seller at the club. Great ball fakes and shifty movement get him out of trouble.

He is a natural finisher. Some of his snap work this year and last is elite! Doesn't miss.

Won't get dropped in this form. 22 games +finals for me.
I’m not saying he will ever be as good as Sammy M but he definitely has similar traits. Would be great to chuck more size on him somehow

I’m not saying he will ever be as good as Sammy M but he definitely has similar traits. Would be great to chuck more size on him somehow
He is so similar in many aspects, from his composure, decision making, kicking efficiency & his agility in close. I definitely wonder what he could be capable of with a bit more size and playing inside.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spangher and Duryea were aa tough and committed to the contest as any players. Duryea was a great penetrating kick and capable defender. Spangher was a big gorilla defender that crashed packs.

Neither superstars but had top shelf attributes.

Matt Suckling was arguably the best kick to ever play the game. He could pull off kicks no other player could.

Morrison currently has shown adequate ability to find the ball and good ball retention but non damaging disposals. You wouldn't rely on him to win a 1v1 marking contest or ground ball against most other players.

Nothing against him but bramble and impy have him well covered in elite attributes and I'm not sure Harry does many things better than those 2.
Harry is a better kick than Impey
and think you need reconsider the outcome of his disposals. He is getting it done and make good kicks to advantage

A comparison to Ed Langdon. A lot of Harry’s stats stack up quite well against one of the better wingman in the comp.

1655506910694.jpeg

827425C8-F9E0-42ED-925A-7A1DCFCFEBD2.jpeg

30AC3F1C-8820-4872-BBAE-33CE3A1E6761.jpeg

D91932C6-01CC-4FE2-90BC-2E53699FDD69.jpeg

EE820BB8-4B7B-4151-9A02-999DBD2B9315.jpeg

15B55A56-BE6C-433E-8BE5-7986B9537398.jpeg

A comparison to Ed Langdon. A lot of Harry’s stats stack up quite well against one of the better wingman in the comp.

View attachment 1426698

View attachment 1426699

View attachment 1426700

View attachment 1426701

View attachment 1426702

View attachment 1426703

The main difference between the two is that Langdon hurts teams with his pace and running ability, it's something that Morrison can't do. Though he is a much better kick.

Also teams put work into Langdon. Don't think you'll ever see that happen with Morrison.

The main difference between the two is that Langdon hurts teams with his pace and running ability, it's something that Morrison can't do. Though he is a much better kick.

Also teams put work into Langdon. Don't think you'll ever see that happen with Morrison.
I suspect if our side was generally more a threat to teams, they probably would be more concerned with Harry’s kicking as he would have more opportunities to kick inside fifty.

Of course, they are at different stages of their career too. But still, harry puts up some good numbers and we should recognise that.

Running ability fine, pace not so much- more of an endurance athlete and by the by, does a lot of his good work late in games when others are fatigue. Think Duracell bunny.

The biggest difference is Langdon plays with a deep and elite midfield give Morrison the same support and just watch what he can do.

He's never going to have the tank or speed of Langdon, which is my point. Don't doubt that he'd look better in a stronger side though.
Tbh I wonder how many players have had Langdon's tank or speed, let alone both combined.
I'll still die on the hill of Langdon being one of the most unique athlete's and most valuable players in the modern game

He's never going to have the tank or speed of Langdon, which is my point. Don't doubt that he'd look better in a stronger side though.
He'd probably never kick it out on the full as often as Langdon either. You take the good with the bad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back