Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Harry Morrison.

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting stat when it comes to Harry and his defensive efforts...

Average tackles per game: 2.9
Langdon: 1.5
Smith: 1.3
Hill: 1.3

He doesn't have the same pace to turn around on defence and get ahead of his opponent, but if the ball is in the area he is twice as likely to force a stoppage or win the ball back for us.

He doesn't have the same pace to turn around on defence and get ahead of his opponent, but if the ball is in the area he is twice as likely to force a stoppage or win the ball back for us.
His “toughness” has gone to another level. He’s constantly putting himself in the firing line and he doesn’t care, to add with his complete unphased composure and poise it’s a big reason for his improvements.

If you compare Harry's 2022 stats with Smiths you'll see that they compare very favorably. Especially considering the noise around the year Smith is having. Harry's been great and I'm rapt for him. Seems like a ripping guy and a super hard worker.

Not sure they really compare favourably (as in better).

Though keep in mind Harry is still improving, whilst Smith is an established elite wingman and plays in a much better team. Though he is 33.5 and is in the very twilight of his career.

Harry (across 15 games):
19.8 touches, inc 5.73 contested, 4.4 turnovers
5.67 marks
6 goals total
2.87 tackles
2.8 inside 50's
2.47 rebound 50's
1.33 one percenters
1 running bounce
384.53 metres gained

Smith (across 16 games):
21.63 touches, inc 3.69 contested, 3.88 turnovers
6.5 marks
6 goals total
1.31 tackles
5.13 inside 50's
2.19 rebound 50's
1.25 one percenters
12 running bounces
470.38 metres gained

Once we are a better side Harry's stats should improve. He's a player we should be looking to get the ball out to.

It seems like Harry has improved his core strength and put on more upper body size this year, generally looking stronger in contests.

Morrison has turned into a really solid player. He bites off the corridor kick a lot and he pulls them off. A guy like that on the wing is vital as while he doesn’t have line breaking pace like Smith he opens up the corridor with his kicking for Jiath, Scrimshaw etc. really solid reliable player and loved watching his development under Mitchell as much as Jai, Lewis, Moore, Nash and Reeves.

Honestly thought he had no chance of making it as he is just so small but credit to him he was given the role Phillips had and is a much better player than Phillips and for this team.

Where's the stats for & how do they measure this bit?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where's the stats for & how do they measure this bit?

Based entirely on his tackling average vs those other elite wingmen. Not an actual stat, which I'm happy to admit.

If Smith, Hill or Langdon are directly pressuring an opposition ball carrier, they are statistically far less likely to force a stoppage and give their side a chance to winning the ball back.
Despite all being quicker than Harry.

I was raising this point due to some chat about his defensive game.

Not sure they really compare favourably (as in better).

Though keep in mind Harry is still improving, whilst Smith is an established elite wingman and plays in a much better team. Though he is 33.5 and is in the very twilight of his career.

Harry (across 15 games):
19.8 touches, inc 5.73 contested, 4.4 turnovers
5.67 marks
6 goals total
2.87 tackles
2.8 inside 50's
2.47 rebound 50's
1.33 one percenters
1 running bounce
384.53 metres gained

Smith (across 16 games):
21.63 touches, inc 3.69 contested, 3.88 turnovers
6.5 marks
6 goals total
1.31 tackles
5.13 inside 50's
2.19 rebound 50's
1.25 one percenters
12 running bounces
470.38 metres gained

Once we are a better side Harry's stats should improve. He's a player we should be looking to get the ball out to.
Who would you prefer to have a shot after the siren for a spot in a prelim?

To be fair to smith, his record in grand finals is exceptional. Here is one for the ages 😉

He was one of my favourite players but I couldn’t resist the cheap shot. I was behind the goals and wasn’t at all confident he’d kick it. I think he’d have nailed it from the other side.

Harry Morrison 

“Harry had a really consistent year, he spent some time half back and some half forward, but was mostly on the wing and became our mainstay winger. He was really consistent with his work rate and his leadership and his ball use was really strong – he took a big step forward this year with his development. We’re looking for him to take things to the next level next year." Robert Harvey.

Harry Morrison 

“Harry had a really consistent year, he spent some time half back and some half forward, but was mostly on the wing and became our mainstay winger. He was really consistent with his work rate and his leadership and his ball use was really strong – he took a big step forward this year with his development. We’re looking for him to take things to the next level next year." Robert Harvey.

I like that his leadership got mentioned. Looking forward for next season already.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back